Kina, fulltank...happy holly days

Page  <1 169170171172173 177>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 8:32am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PJC – by the looks of the Mokes day before yesterday, about halfway there must have been where the birds went, flocking like to a Gun n Roses concert (?).
Anyway despite being that time of the month, the last few days leading up to a full moon, a pet spooky time for me and fishing, it was time to head out, you know the feeling, it’s been too long, and the forecast was good after all, promises promises, we shall see. So checking both coasts east and west, the call was made, default position launch from the closest launch ramp, loaded with the long range fuel tanks (many totes) and go after a real big fish.
Mission control’s plan was to troll the western side of Little Barrier en route to the Mokes in search of a lone marlin, just for kicks. The wind was gusting 27kts at Channel Island, but all pointers were towards a major drop off mid arvo around HT, then isobars and moon aligned. Nudging out past Tiri northbound on the outgoing at 14:30, the SW did as hoped and dropped off, right on cue the chop settled, so by the time Flat Rock was passed along its western edge, it was rather comfortable indeed and fuel usage far more acceptable alleviating the mental maths. The western area SSTs showed promise, and yes food sources were found, the food of magnificent Manta Rays. A few fins and water splashes had the fools gold of marlin in the mind. These creatures are stunning, and some time was spent capturing their grace. But enough and onwards to the evenings anchorage. By the picture you can see the conditions I was putting up with. Blissful. The Mokes beckoning in the backround as I patiently trolled at 6.5kts, plod plod.

A wake up call, loud and clear from the 50w sang out ZRZRRRZRR, short sharp and sweet, a hookup, a sinkhole and a flash of fish, a UFO (unidentified fish on), and.........gone. Hmm, I have no idea what species, who knows, only that fish, suspicious stuff. Onwards.

A rest for a few hours, I’d say sleep but I’d be stretching the truth. Nosing out after a quick hot cuppa before dawn the southerly wind was cold for summer and a little more than forecast, but with high hopes for the needle in the haystack of marlin fishing was enough, and at 22kts it was all good, all good and the sun winked - I was well underway, nice to be out there, out on the open sea.

The wind dropped as it should and the search for the unseen began. Find the bait find the fish is a primary rule, and so with the help of a little technology pointed to the general area, bait was found, trolled well past, and found back again thanks to GPS backtracking. And with trawlers going back and forth on the near horizon, I guessed a little more technology was in use, and went to see for myself. I must be roughly in the area of much baitfish at least.

It seemed like a lay day, not exactly sure why, the bird life was more interested in the trawlers, even though they appeared to not be working the nets at least.
A swirl as I gazed out ahead of the boat, a swirl of something big ducking under the boat, leaving a temporary water hole, at full attention I glared at the lures, then right behind the long corner a fin flapped, flapped – well that was more reflective of me, the fin disappeared quickly and nothing more more was seen or heard. No matter how many times the minds eye replayed the scene I can’t confirm the species, ah well the adrenal glands in fine working order.
So a back track to the Mokes area for other SSTs lead me alongside Groper Island, and the normal surface feeding KY /Trevs were not to be, odd as theuy have been virtually every time I have been there, OK keep searching and come up with another plan.

A few kingfish kept me entertained as the afternoon moved on, many small versions of kingis like mackerel on the sounder, fun but the day’s sun and had dimmed the senses so anchorage, a rethink and recharge was the mental call, a beautiful day it was afterall. Solid sleep this time with several more boats arriving after my evenings fish TV I.e. lots of baitfish etc in the underwater lights, entertaining and educational. Waking to the alarm at 05:15 up and outta there before any signs of life from most vessels over in the next bay. I was on a mission, too easy just to troll back homeward hoping for luck , I want to play more with big fish today. So back out to where the bait was the day before to at least a starting point. Zip, zero nada, hmm…tapping the sounder screen and winding up the gain didn’t materialise them. OK where? Plan B or is that C or D, follow my nose.
Bait was found! Yay and lots of it, cool at least I could be in with a chance, raffle ticket in hand so to speak.

More birdlife too, sooty shearwaters all around, lots of them, an amazingly sleek looking bird, so incredibly efficient on the airwaves, and very welcome out there but going in every direction, doing their own search pattern.
8am by now and wondering what I should do next…
WHACK…ZRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR the 50w covering the short corner just behind the dredge lit up. Yesssss baby, his is what I came for let’s get it onn_______________in an instant I knew ….silence. Your kidding me, dorsal fin all dressed in purple, fluttering away and fluffing me into an adrenaline crazed stupor, oh how easy it can be. Circles flicks and scrubs in the area proved the marlin had had enough just by simply smacking the lures and sitting back laughing at the humans reaction, just for kicks. Adrenal glands working just fine all over again. Ah well, early days yet and I’d found one, time to find another.
Onwards and over towards Gt Barrier I reckon, late brunchtime came and the sun irradiated. 10kts of wind.
Then the Zuker did it again, right behind the submerged dredge, it flickered, the reel growled momentarily,ZR, and then briefly again, zrr, just enough so my full attention was fixed on the large purple and black fin doing the hula all over my happy little lure oh so close, just a few short metres away on the short corner , sweet frustration, as I was contemplating whether to speed up, slow down, do nothing…the fin flashed under, and a moment later the port side rigger reel ignited big time,,,ZZZZZRZZRZRRZZZR..ZTRrZrrrr.ZZrzRRrrrrrrrrand and awaaaaay it went! Some aerials and waterworks to confirm to my already over amped brain that this was target species. Marlin on. Zrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr non stop.
Gear cleared, all things gong according to pre rehearsal and we’re settling into the match. The little light gauge hook hidden within the small Bonze Diesel lure with oh so sparkly gold bits that took my fancy, took this marlins too, fashion - marlin style. So confidence was high and the routine of random throttle and helm manouvers ensued, absolutely loving it. Just like we all do when we’re deep in the zone, truly alive.
Then ‘it’ happened, the weightlessness of freefall, a lure in freefall without its marlin, as was my mind, rapid winding didn’t magically make the weight reappear. This marlin had won by creating a whitewash of water some 300 to 400m away clearly visible and the undoing of a bill wrap. The disbelief, the questions and the wry smile of the fish winning this particular battle. The smile and thrill undeniable, in the middle of a the big wide open water, a marlin was found and took a liking to an imitation fish made of colourful plastic strips hanging by a thread. With the sun over the yardarm, time to assess the rest of the day, plan F or G by now? Where to from here? OK so try the dice roll and troll right back to Great Barrier island this time, and the cheeky random thought of a Black Marlin along the deep shoreline drop-offs came into the vagaries of mind, a long shot but hey, why not, luck favours and all that.
Auotpilot re-set, and the wind yet to makes its shift from SW to N for a time, which hopefully meant a mid arvo drop to zero, a smoothing of seas for a smooth trip home – is that too much to ask to top off such a day?
The VHF confirming a slight drop in Tuts and Mokes wind, as I pulled right alongside the jagged rocks of Gt Barrier, it seemed odd to come from out wide in the middle of nowhere to within casting distance of shore and to be hunting the same sort of beastie. Horses for courses I guess.
It was right then I saw a huge splash erupting in the middle of a line of flotsam, I didn’t see what made it, my semi-sleeping brain took time to comprehend, I had no need to wonder for long, as a Black Marlin catapulted out of the water barely 50m away and proceeded to bound along joyfully, glinting the sun off its slick two tone side. An awe-filled sight it was with the fish clearing the water easily. My mind was on full alert and so the boat was put into a slowly expanding search grid pattern…alas all I was allowed was a show and tell, no up close and personal stuff. But oh what a thrill to just be lucky enough to be thinking of what a black would be like here, and it was, here that is. Right here.

The wind had dropped and on that note time was called, time to pull in the gear quick smart, lock and load quickly and without hesitation let the 150ponies bred in Yamaland go for a good run, an unwaivering 26kt run all the way in a straight line back to home base on the Hibiscus coast some 40-odd nautical miles away. Fortune had it, that apart from the always faithful Tiri chop to let the body know it’s been out in a wee trailer boat bouncing around, the rest was plain sailing, sweet as in fact. The return timed to within half an hour as the wind made itself known during washdown back at the hacienda. So without a doubt an eventful day, a couple of Stripeys waiving at me, right there off just off the stern, one nearly getting caught out, and a visit by a black marlin in full flight oh so close. The trip home had my mind racing around and over-analysing the scenarios, also listening to VHF forecast about when the next day a marlin hunt could be…however the 30kt wind and rain has arrived as predicted.

“I’ll be back” said Arnold Schwarzeneggar.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 5:29pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nature seems to be winning the war of late.Nice read and getting out and back safelyThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 6:12pm
Sambosi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice read Grant. I heard a boat going past at 4am on Monday and thought it would be you but it sounds like you were already well out there.

Next time, seeing that Black would have been very special.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 7:55pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great read Grant..Nice trip to make you want to do it all again very soon I bet
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 6:41am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hey thanks PJC, Sambosi and Skunk, a long way in a wee boat but some magic moments alright.

A slightly different approach before the rain - Hokianga, well Opononi to be exact, a quick road ride visit with the twins (V-twin that is) and checkout, 800kms around the magnificent Waipoua forest, east coast west coast and back again, what a blast. I saw a couple of very nice trailer boat, big game hunting machines heading out as well..,ramp pics for reference.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:43am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

With the annual Beach and Boat on over the weekend no doubt it was busy-busy in that locale! But or me it was time just to go out for some simple pleasures in life and try to catch a few fresh fish for food, after watching the wee hours of Saturday morning come around, a snore for only an hour or two, the alarm was needed, but a couple of caffeine hits and away we go!
Sea flat, forecast also good with a probable wind direction spin around tide change at 13:00, let the ponies out for run and see what's happening out Anchorite way?
Not a lot.
A nosey here and there, then a SE looksee over towards the sunken barges, still all still, water surface and fish bite____, time just to throw out a couple of drogues, and throw down the slow bite temptation jigs. And for the next hour or two the fish steadily obliged :), moreso for the missus aboard, but that is always to be expected right!? Pannie snapper and gurnard, interestingly the sounder showed little or no sign at all, the fish were hard on the bottom all spread out. I turned it off. The winning formula (as I was shown) was to barely move the jig, grub in the mud and let the teasing tails and tiny hooks do the trick. Anything even semi-aggressive was fully ignored. I tried a number of different techniques, jigs, soft baits, lineweights, bright, dull and so on for interest, and none was shown.
A smallish mako showed off it's aerials it the distance then proceeded to slowly and calmly do its eerie swim nearby, 'Jaws' theme came to mind.
The slow bite tailed right off after high tide, so with the NE winds supposed to pick up, the fish bin looking good, time called to enjoy a smooth low-rider cruise on auto pilot at 25kts back to the home bay south-side Whangaparaoa peninsula out of the gradually increasing Nor-easterly wind and sharpen the filleting knife.

Seared snapper and gurnard on the BBG skillet, lemon and tartare sauce. Simply superb.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 1:15pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What more could you want "Espresso"? Ah life so easy so simple makes you wonder what big deal is working 9 to 5 Unhappy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 11:25am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Another chance, another day or two to play out wider than normal...so no nah, just yeah :)

Little Barrier to the Mokes was highlighted with a couple of big kings hitting the marlin lures, great fun and those reels lighting up sure gets the blood pumping no matter what the fish is.
Over night at the Mokes was fantastic, the underwater blue light disco with sealife so amazing to watch within rod tip reach. I did have to pick my way carefully through the boats just before sunrise coming out of Arch bay, more than one displaying zero lights, no anchor light no nothing, I left them all to their slumber and headed out on the big search, a marlin needle in a massive stack, a 2m swell to contend with but no wind. Stunner of a sunrise, flying fish catching the light.

By 8am I was well into the day out in 200m +, and by chance I saw the fin, yes the fin of a marlin flashing in from the starboard side all flustered and keen to see what my commotion was about, teaser, dredge, lures, lights camera action...a tap ZRZRzrr....gone, right hand down on the wheel showing the lure in clear blue water, easy pickings and the marlin is back,,,,on.
ZRRZRZRRZzrzzrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, battle stations!

No sooner had I reacted, head down fast clearing gear, the fish was off. Gone.
Silence descended.
Stripey doing what stripeys do.

Wishful trolling around didn't re-ignite the frenzy in the marlin, and my own frenzy subdued gradually. A free jumper lit up the near horizon a couple of hours later, huge splash as if just to taunt and tease. Stupid fish.
So onwards back towards promising SST areas north of Gt Barrier, but no more marlin were keen or seen. A quiet day on the Tutukaka radio so a happy chappy in that I had found at least one marlin and fluffed it temporarily. Ah well that's marlin fishing! All or nothing and ya gotta be in to win. A few pillies trying to imitate flying fish here and there, and lots of seabird life, cruising the swells on there never ending search, great to see. A lie-down to reduce the back pressure now and then, but ever-ready for that clicker sound.
So blasting back into the gulf when the wind dropped on tide change around 13:00 and the sounder sign of snapper by Little Barrier enough to stop drop and roll out a lure or two....and a nice limit of pannie snapper obliged to bend the micro rod and grace the bin. Slow bite, and only the little lures would tempt a bite, but good enough.
No time to waste as the wind was coming in from the SW on the Manukau Now-casting VHF, so fast as back-track on cruise control to fillet fish at the local bay while the going was good. Sun and smooth sea, with fish. What a day.
Recovery low and a very slow-Sunday, it never ceases to amaze me just how stuffed after a fishing trip I am, or is that just me? (Or is that why there are things called office jobs (pjc?) )

Here's some of the rocks I passed close by hunting for kings, and marlin..and the overnight blissful scene...recognise them?
One of the rocks out from the Mokes was crawling with Kingfish, one I didn't stop on the 50w, sunset drag but it just ran and ran and reefed me, shredding the 250lb leader, I managed to get my lure back, hanging by a thread.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 1:23pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Thanks for the report Grant - sounds like enough action to keep the adrenaline flowing.... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote foulplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 9:09pm
foulplay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

When was that Espresso. We overnighted at the back of Fanal on Friday night. Beautiful conditions saturday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 10:42pm
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great report yet again Grant.

Just a day (8-10hrs) on the water for me these days & I'm done for, best kind of tired though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 9:47am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hey Grunta, always a hard call, west or east. More adrenaline needed again by the looks of the forecast later this week...!
Aye Foulplay, Friday night..I noted a boat all lit up over western side of Fanal on my way out Saturday morning, probably you    ...out of the easterly swell there yeah.? I went to 'my' little bay on the western side of Burgess, but the swell was straight into it.
Thanks The cook, ha yeah I guess it's not so bad slowly sorting jigs n rods n reels on the boat just outside on a lazy Sunday, multiple cups of tea/breaks.

I am unsure as I think the mark is not quite right, a tad small but maybe, baitfish down deep at 80m, and a bit of a fishy looking blob at 30m.

Time to lock and load the boat and all the gear again today, just in case Thursday/Friday aligns fishing-wise...but where of where are those (hungry) marlin-fishes?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 2:41pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Enjoy the Mokes while you can??Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote foulplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 8:08pm
foulplay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yip that was us at Fanal. Parked.up there most of friday avo and evening. Made a burley trail that probably made it back to the needles. Special place

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 7:11pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Primo fish there Foulplay , aye a magic place way out thar for sure.

I guess I took your advice pjc...

I let the ponies out for a solid run, nice and early, before dawn, the night prior the winds didn't drop, so start time delayed until early morning...and a good call it was, cool air and extra smooth sea brought that internal smile with the wandering thoughts of adventure - what will the next two days bring? Outward bound.

The plan was to navigate to an upwelling between Gt Barrier and the Mokes to look around for a marlin or other such fishes, but the latest satellite info this morning showed it had dissapated, so instead a new course was set straight for the Mokes once into the Tiri channel, and a little beyond Groper Island. The bigger lures hit the water just before Burgess by 08:00, a mosey around and what do ya know, another big game hunter looking for their quarry, looking good indeed, purpose built with a purpose, the real business.

The water was warm in the area and lots of seabird life all over, endlessly searching for fish, something very much in common we all had.

Because of the early start and the great conditions the troll time was voluntarily lengthened. Out further than anticipated meant fuel usage calculations...all good, tighter than normal.
And then the area came alive! Birds, some flying fish, well flying, a huge skipjack of several kgs, which was dutifully sharked in my full view as it came up beside the boat, it tried to continue to swim, but without its tail , it was to no avail.

Then the 50w up on the rocket launcher let off a long gradual zzrzrzrzrrr, haltering in its howl. Hmm?? What fish is that?

Aha, mahi mahi!
Yessiree a welcome fish was brought aboard and invited to dinner. Such a stunner of a fish. A good area to come back to tomorrow I figured. It was getting late, best I head back to the Mokes for the evening.

And wouldn't you know it as I finally returned right there just west of Burgess was a small workup, gannets and shearwaters squawking loudly as a small pod of dolphins decimated a baitschool , balled into a whirling frenzy of fishes. As I slowly trolled my way there it was obvious who was winning this battle, not the fish. I could smell the fish oils clearly.

Here you can see a fish-eye view of the baitball as the predators slowly subsided in their attack, the remaining fish still panicked and huddled tightly.

My lures were dutifully ignored and so down went a live mackerel attached to a circle hook, and back to my Stella 10000 spin reel and Reel Rods pitch bait rod, real artwork and a thing of beauty.
Holding that braid in my fingers, the mack twitching, only moments passed before it really got the boogie on! A bit more weight so I let the line free, it ran faster through my fingers, a glorious feeling of something big taking the mackerel into its mouth and running away with its prize.
I waited.
Then it was time, as I flicked the bail over and applied pressure, the beastie below took a tug, and just left me with an open mouth.
Ah well, a good game to play, and now the sun was getting very low, time to find anchorage just a few hundred metres away.
A big swell and swirling wind meant Arch bay was 1st choice...a little knock on the skeg as I went to last weeks spot, but the bigger tides had meant that 2-3ft clearance was no more...outta there! Back around to a channel I have stayed in before, quite nice, narrow but a stunner of a spot. Anchor down and sort the boat.

Pad Thai mahi mahi for dinner out there in wonderland on a boat drifting aimlessly at anchor. Oh yes, heaven is.

Uber early, well dark indeed, leaving the night spot with squinting eyes and a GPS, a big surge and another bump in the night, another small scar to attend to later.
Back out to yesterdays mahi-land and not much happening. Overnight had changed things. OK head east, why not? Towards the 155.
Trolling long and you know how you think you see things, waves that look like the tip of a marlin tail, or perhaps a shape moving underneath near the lures, blinking I really did think I was on the verge of seeing, and not seeing something, just like a hundred times before, then smack! One of these blades had struck the BP Zuker, a bit of a splash, \?? Unsure of the commotion, then the other lure out back, a Squidwings hooked up on this oddity.
Peeling line, halteringly, then gone again.
More mahi mahi?
I checked the sounder, saw this

Then several shimmering blades a metre or so long leap through the air, reflecting sunlight and looking gorgeous.
Definitely mahi mahi. Very cool.

The sea was still lumpy mercury, no wind, just left over swell, I gazed back towards Gt Barrier, and saw the line, the line of breeze with white caps, the SW wind had perked early, and with more strength than predicted. Time to get the gear in, and head straight back into it, big tidal current 'n all. A long way to go so nose down, trim tabs down and bring it on. 4 hrs back until throttle down at the local ramp. Time to do the time.
A workup in the cable zone brought a wry smile, but I was on the homeward mission. Hasta la vista baby.

Gas used due to the extended play the day before plus the extra used back into the sea state meant the reserve of 40L was almost needed, main tank gauge reading 'E' for empty as I drove the boat up and onto the trailer. The latch clicked on, and the adventure closed.

Until next time.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gromph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 1:18pm
gromph View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice report Grant - out of interest how many litres did you use?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 1:38pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Thanks Gromph, 250L was used in total i.e. a full tank of 150L and 5 x 20L totes (maybe 5L left in the tank).

Here's the skipjack, a number of solid kg's it was, a weighty barrel of a fish, sharked as.

The anchorage at the Mokohinau's, Hen and Chick islands on the horizon, dimming the lights, warp factor zero straight down..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gromph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 1:45pm
gromph View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wowza - you must have done some serious k's
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 3:56pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yeah it was good trip alright Gromph.
Just back from the gas station, funny how I get a big grin from the guys behind the counter when I roll up.

235L used
Approx 210 nautical miles travelled

Here's a few more pics, not great resolution but you get the picture

Hooked into a nice king doing it's thing

...showing me his big yellow tail as he departs on yet another blistering downward run, testing arms, leader, reel drags 'n all

The wee workup later in the day, getting worked over by dolphins right beside the boat

...those tense moments as the braid whips out, dredge up an out of the way, reel's bail arm open, and a big fish below with my little mackerel in its mouth right beside the baitball picture above, how long before flipping the bail arm?... the breath holding adrenaline moment of anticipation...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 1:15pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

A rather satisfying day spent fishing yesterday in the gulf. Bit of a chop after an 8:30 launch, a small dolphin-less workup close in to northern Tiri looked good, but didn't hold kings or snapper...looked like mackerel chasing small anchovies maybe.

A big foot-long or so mackerel kept for sashimi

No gannets working over bait, or dolphins on the bino horizon, but the final decision was to just drift the open plains for pannie snapper.

A couple of feisty XXL KY here n there, this one invited home

And a slow n steady wins the race vibe, a good number of nice eating fish netted

Half an hour back to north side of Tiri to fillet, perfectly calm leeside, Eagle eyes spying the snapper remains below

Page  <1 169170171172173 177>