Kina, fulltank...happy holly days

Page  <1 168169170171172 177>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 3:08pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great to see you out there mate - we found them more off Shakespeare bay towards the middle a bit. Where did you end up?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 8:54pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yeah that was very cool Redfinger... sidling up to the same thumping great workup, that brand new FC boat looked in it's element.!
I ventured further east along the coast and spent a bit of time right in close at Shakespeare, gannets and little ky going absolutely mental chasing pillies - the pillies were flying out of the air at one stage...I didn't manage to get onto snapper there unfortunately. So I headed out to north of Tiri channel, checked out good bait sign but only white terns with them, no snapper or ky...then decided to surf eastwards to outside the cable zone..birds sitting around but not doing much, waiting, further east dolphins were moving around lots, some good looking workups - but ky invite only, except the odd gate crashing couta, so I moved around there and tried a drift with drogues (no good - too fast and no real fish sign on sounder), started to head back in as the wind picked up and after several different workups fished, fishless, over several miles, then it started to come together - after high tide. Dolphins in good numbers, well organised and baitfish formed into a big sphere, pilchards. Gannets gorging themselves silly, only a couple of kahawai caught, noticeable by their absence. Snapper there were, nice pannes but not in the silly numbers you would think by looking at the workup just piling in, for nearly half an hour and barely moving 100m.

All is heading in the right direction.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 4:24pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Saturday was awesome Thumbs Up The ocean came alive. Looks like we're in for another windy weekend. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 7:43pm
Amateur View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Most excellent mate!
No half measures!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 8:16am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Thanks Amateur, lots more eyecandy workups than meat-in-the-sandwhich ones at the mo', but the chase sure is fun.
Sure is JW, I see you have been out doing very well lately, nicely done!
Yes the weekend weather is not playing ball, so I went out and played yesterday, just in case
One of those weird 'n wonderful days, gannets diving 'everywhere', dolphins all over the place, workups looking oh so good...but perhaps the day was the day of the pilchard? Or that full moon and a day after a good feed up out there, the bite was sloooww. Such a spectacle to see so much activity in apparent full swing, yet snapper elusive and even the ky relatively hard to catch in comparison to their numbers. Perhaps all eyes on fast fleeing pilchards?
A stunner of a day, warm sunshine, flat seas and the eye candy of workups all over the place, we certainly are right on the edge of season change.

The pit area renewed, new matting cut to fit ready for duties

Heading out through the Tiri channel to the Whangaparaoa bay workups, the grunty tug towing, lit up in the morning sunrise

Check out this (man and his) dog, happy as! So cool.

There were a few juvenile kingfish hounding the pillies, this one was great fun, hooked up on the micro everything, kabura, rod, reel, leader...and 10 minutes or more of fun, blistering runs with drags and leaders all hangin' on. Light tackle is just the best.

A trip around the extended traps, well why not when the sea state beckons, showed up much the same, many fishermen, hunting around, here there and everywhere, great to see so many out enjoying a weekday fishing in fine weather. Roll on summer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:38pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

You'd think that the skies had opened up and out poured an unlimited supply of diving gannets, and with dolphins on the charge in huge pods easily visible for miles creating wakes on perfectly flat seas, that a mega-fishing catching session was guaranteed. Mother Nature distracted yesterday? Perhaps with the big budget Warner Bros. mega-shark movie being filmed starring Jason Stathom, perhaps dealing with the hormonal/psychological influences of the current super-moon (full), or the actual spring snapper haven't yet arrived per se so the ones under workups are just locals congregated..and thus the very patchy snapper? A-E, all or none of the above.
But it sure is weird to cover many nautical miles, more than once and fish many different workups yet stare at an unused fish-bin for hours, even the ky were distracted.

Try try and try again, yet more head scratching and try again.

Disco!

Mind you, this patch of fish was a tight bundle of fun, drift too far and it was flat line on the sounder.

Girls and boys out to play.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 6:11pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you never fail to surprise,my turn Sunday ,jonah(wife)wants to go out to gardeners gap area
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gromph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 6:18pm
gromph View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting - went out Sunday for the 1st time in over 4 months and was all on.....

Pretty rough conditions so 2 drogues out the back drifting over large area yielded instant hookups on great size fish. Didn't even have to chase the work-ups, done and dusted in 1.5 hours
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 1:33pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Thanks pjc, and Sunday's weather forecast is looking good too, a spin from N to SW on the change of tide early arvo would mean flat seas. Good luck, there should be some action round there up towards western Rakino and in and around Noises I reckon.

Yeah cheers Gromph, interesting alright...and I remember one famous marlin chaser once saying he likes to hear there's been a few hard days fishing before he heads out, reckons the fish will therefore be on the bite, rather than "it's been awesome..." only to go out when the fish are full.

Looking out to a wonderful sight right now....stretching from the Tamaki Strait right up to Tiri, an armada of sails in full flight~! The big Labour weekend yachting is under way , a mighty scene, white capped water from solid25kt breeze to speed things along. Tempting to go out and get up close, thrown down a hunk of metal with a hook in it... but for those white caps.

Time enough to elicit repairs and fluffing around the boat...a breakage of the minor sort to sort here n there

Hopefully there'll be many more out enjoying fishing this weekend too. And Monday is a public holiday apparently...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 9:36pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yesterday the forecasters said 5kt variable in the gulf mid morning, then again in the evening, well enough said! Time to go fishing ay

Not long after first light, southern Tiri area looked a little fishy, then further east also, a few tentative type workups here n there but no bite as such. Time enough to for a look out wider deeper and north-er then, a bit lumpy but Ok on the angle.
Hmm, some trout sized kingfish menacing the 200gm jig, but not much more in terms of action at the rock. The sounder showed good bottom sign west of the middle, checking it wasn't in display mode because not a tap from the fish below though. OK so they're playing hard to get out 50m, so back into the same depth of water as earlier around the 40m, but more towards nth Tiri by now, and the eyes started watering. Workups.

Well wouldn't ya know it, one of those type of days when even the ky were disinterested in playing the game. A good fight with a kingi on light gauge kept me busy, a couple of ky, only just a few small pan sized snapper from such a spectacle was odd. Dolphins, gannets, petrels, ky, the odd king...and snapper conspicuous by their absence, or absence of bite, by everything by comparison to the sea surface hubbub.

A stroke of good fortune when retrieving the boat once back at the ramp, I had noticed a slight fray in the strop a day prior and made a mental note to have a look sometime soon...well you guessed it..SNAP...as luck would have it the boat merely moved back a couple of inches and the retrieval hook did it's job and stopped the boat getting concrete rash.

4 species sushi and sashimi tonight.

A good day.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2016 at 6:30am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Funny how put things off till it happens.then she who knows best says told you so
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 2:44pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Serious wind gusts, 50kts+ persistent over days including today with various previous forecasts promising good tidings, only to be whisked away by (often retrospective) updates... me - I've been taking a walk on the wild side, well more like the calm side. Sheltered from the westerly quarter and after days of 'just say no' to the thumping wind despite forecasts to the contrary, which have proven 'overly optimistic' many times. So some rather pleasant walks and casts around the local shores instead, very enjoyable I must say.

The relentlessness of the sea plain to see, with what's left of steel girders from a jetty long reclaimed

Around in traps in a few feet of water I found the tracks of an extremely optimistic angler (good lure, but 100gms, 150lb leader tied to wrong end in the shallows...looks like he broke a hook trying to in-snag too)

Another freshly donated lure still in working order

I even went and looked for the one I lost yesterday evening, and whaddaya know, disco! There it is.

A kingfish really did my head in just an hr ago when the above pic was taken...I turned around, threw a few casts, then the kingie decided to chase harass and possibly eat a fleeing baitfish, mullet I think. Surface splashes, tail clearly visible and a mini washing machine as the kingi thrashed in near zero water depth at its target, well within casting distance. My offerings were ignored and the kingfish moved on, as you were.

Fortunately the memory of magic numbered snapper is still clear, last week out West. What a day that was.

...and time to check that forecast, yet again....you too?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 6:10pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Beaut Snapper pic Espresso! Wot did it weigh-PB?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 4:19pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hey Snappa Geoff it’s certainly up there, this one had my scales touch 20lb, not sure but I think around 25 is top weight so far.
By good luck again this week the planets aligned, the Matrix was happily humming along and the wind was set to drop, long enough. Gt Barrier islandbound.
A big lazy seal was sleeping in the middle of nowhere, so I glided by and left him to it, he barely moved his flapping fin. If it's that quiet no point to stop n drop.

Some stunning natural art forms WIP out there, I had a quick tiki-tour around a few too.

Gently guided to a very spread out area of interest by some high flying gannets, and despite the presence of bottle-nose dolphins rampaging through the mackerel and other bait (here was bait a-plenty)

a steady stream of 10-15lb snapper up to a couple of lb snapper were keen enough to give the fishing tackle a good workout. (I need to sort out a few pics from day one snapper yet). The snapper weren’t crazy fired up, and several forms of jigs were a case of ‘just say no’, but one particular smaller inchuku in green with red (Nuclear Chicken-esque), seemed to be the key, and with a slow steady wind up off the floor, quite along way it tipped the bite trigger.
On the lightweight spin gear the bouts lasted a good long time. Excellent times. Excellent fish.

An overnight planned with the option of a go wide and see, first anchorage in Katherine Bay just sorted and, ah no, a local generator fired up, along with a slight change in wind direction to more westerly from NW so it was anchors up to find another state of peace. Nagle was the answer. The stars were out after a while, the Milky Way ridiculously bright and captivating...snore button hit.
The morning brew was unfortunately catapulted back undue force, the days health was not looking top notch, no to go wide.. well, back to snapper land it is.

The bite was OK, nothing frantic, some bait schools still around. A mako materialised, and the snapper on the line was fighting very erratically, with good cause. I stood in the boat and caught the next few fish rather than sittin' on the side cooling my feet..
Nothing over 16lb was brought aboard before high noon, some fish released, and with the wind at zero....that reminded me, it's time to go rather than wait for the inevitable afternoon chop.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 7:54pm
Amateur View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No posts since 2nd of December! Something must be going on!!!!!!
No half measures!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 12:51pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Oaaarrghh Amateur, aye landlocked for a while, wind, weather and a few significant changes we'd lock 'n better attend to on the home front, several new beginnings as the New Year fast approaches and the Christmas feasts rise and fall.
A local beach walk or two in the evenings on the incoming tide providing some excellent Zen-time

Microjigs and micro fish fun

...ahhh the office function heading out on the renowned Gladiator fior the day looked a pretty picture, I say looked as I had high priority things needing my personal attention instead, this boat has gyro stabilisers and looked very well set up indeed, a top shelf approach to fishing.

So as soon as the necessaries of Christmas and relative chaos subsided along with the wind, it was out n about in the Gulf for a play day..here fishy fishy.

Found 'em out wide and playtime was a great time!

Jigs without skirts were hard work, with skirts (inchuku) = disco! Kingfish and snapper to start the ball rolling, keen enough but not mental-as-anything i.e. we had to work for it, but the 'w' paid off
Dave's snapper of the day, and don't mention the rather solid kingi that got away on the light gear after 15 minutes of reel burinin'. Good fun.

Getting into the Christmas swing, colourful displays

And home to a very special Chrissie cake!

(Lots of un-hassled mackerel bait again just north of Tiri channel on the sounder as we whisked out wide, that'll change! Anchorite rock quiet, middle ground quieter) .
Hope ya'll enjoying your holidays...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 2:40pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

The last sunrise of 2016, wouldn't want to miss it, so where better to be than heading out fishing?
Unsure of the destination, but with a flat sea until the afternoon wind arrival from the north predicted, a stunning summer's day..hmm throttle down to Gt Barrier for a morning's fish?
Yeah let's do it .

Blondie on board, so even with the snapper bite tailing off...all will be well (the fairer sex just somehow catch more or bigger fish for some reason, funny that yeah ??).
Literally Gt Barrier gannet central station, however only preening going on - enough of a presence provided though and a very brief but enjoyable rod bend or three, then a tapering off as HT slowed everything down, way down as expected. A tentative bite and then to zero, same as the wind. So with the omens loud and clear and the slightest of northern ripple approaching across the water, open the taps and low-fly home while still smooth-as before wind against tide took the shine off, junior white caps following in the rear vision. Boats of all shapes n sizes were everywhere, the calmness of the sea and all around reflected the fishes attitude to biting on a few random stops on the return trip, even the fishes seem to be chilled out on holiday.
Filleting fresh fish at anchor completely calm on the south side of Whanagaparaoa peninsula also included a wee nap. Ah yes what a way to spend New Years Eve day.

A reflection back through a few pages on 2016 brought a smile or two, this morning, so now what of 2017? That is the question.
Happy New year to everyone, it's great thing we all love to do this fishing, no matter what where how and when, stay safe and let the good times roll ...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 11:49am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Toot toot, a quickie up the east coast last week, overnighting in Tutukaka harbour was rather nice, all set for an early start, the forecasters had the morning cold southerly winds un-forecast, however the day slowly calmed right down, dredge being checked for weed etc ..

The radio was quiet, very quiet, except for Sambosi who hooked and T/R a Stripey, nice indeed. I was many miles away out by the 400m trench, a temperature break sought and found (via Mangre SSTs).

A large pod of pilot whales and some bottle nose dolphins captivated me, and perhaps visa versa as they hung around the boat for a while, lazily chasing some bait at times.

So the area was right, but quiet, quiet as everywhere....then there she is!!!!
A rather large marlin tail materialised getting the adrenal glands uber-pumping. But no matter what, circles, flicks and scrubs she wouldn't spark up, and she downed periscope and slid away below.

Hot still and quiet, radio silence. Home James! 30kts if you will across flat seas.

All washed and mega gear tidied up, stuffed, resting a day or three and waiting...then yesterdays forecast was good, and so was the early morning slight rustle in the Puri tree, time to go local.

Some good looking bait found out in the gulf yesterday, for whatever was on the fishing cards, mackerel to marlin...

... and the conditions excellent... yet, again, the bite was slow

Then right on cue, high tide, 14:00 - smacko Mr King came and played the game

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 8:06am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Autopsy report:
Stomach content of the above kingi was a rather nice fish, decomposing of course, but it did have the colour of a snapper(?) on the tail...but not sure with the shape? Length was about the old legal length of 27cm or thereabouts

The inner gulf area from approx. Tiri to Gannet rock was very quiet, very few birds, the few dolphins in the area were slowly hounding a few mackerel schools I suspect, progressively heading out to the middle ground and not worth dropping lures underneath, the gannets doing hopeful exploratory dives now and then, but more in reaction to the young'ns playing jumping and splashing around I suspect, there sure were some wee fellas (dolphins) practising their aerials. I see next week forecast is looking rather settled...certainly is a great time of year to be out fishing ay..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 9:20am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What you have described for the inner gulf was exactly as struck it last week,lack of bird life.why?To cold for bait fish?trying bottom end thids weekend

Interesting a king eating a snapper though,guess when hungry anything will do.
Page  <1 168169170171172 177>