Auckland tomorrow

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaundtsl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auckland tomorrow
    Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 11:36am
shaundtsl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys, I was thinking about taking my family out fishing tomorrow morning (5 Jan), the weather report for boating doesn't look too good, but the wind seems alright. So I was thinking about launching at West Haven and fishing around the sugar factory area. Would that be a good idea? Maybe we can venture out of the harbour? Not really sure about the weather reports and if there is any good fishing out at the sugar factory this time of year? Any info appreciated! Thanks guys.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 1:26pm
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

There's a couple of holes worth having a fish in by the sugar factory, they are well marked on navonics webbapp

Use soft baits and drift over the holes there is a fair bit of current tho so you will probably need a sea anchor.

Good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaundtsl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 1:33pm
shaundtsl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cool, so probably good early morning then?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 2:48pm
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah early morning or evening probably best
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaundtsl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 4:03pm
shaundtsl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Do you think the conditions will be alright tomorrow morning in the harbour? Seems like the wind is going to be picking up?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 4:12pm
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I would think it would be OK first thing before the wind picks up - I'm no weatherman tho
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaundtsl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 4:29pm
shaundtsl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cool, thanks for the info!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 6:10pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pretty windy forecast in morning 20 knots gusting 30 SW easing late Morning - Friday morning is calmer - check out metservice website.  Might be ok but windy getting across from Westhaven - she can blow down that channel.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaundtsl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 7:20pm
shaundtsl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yup, I am a bit nervous about that. Whats a general good/comfortable wind speed, around 15 knots?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 7:26pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

15 knots is kind of a general guideline but it all depends on wind against tide, tidal flow etc. Not trying to put you off but I imagine you'll be in for a day of little snapper unless youhit it real early or late in the evening
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaundtsl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 7:53pm
shaundtsl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Its all good. I will put it off until the weather settles. So in the summer months, is it usually good fishing around the sugar factory?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 10:09pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Someone like Tagit can provide guru level info, but in general - yes. 

Check out this thread posted in the past day or so:
http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/fish-in-the-harbour_topic122789.html

Snapper push into the upper harbour from December until about April, feeding post spawning in the warmer water.
Good snapper can be caught in the shallows right up to Whenuapai, Te Atatu etc. It's light line fishing at dawn and dusk, lots of berley, casting well away from the boat.
in summer, you'll see heaps of boats anchored off Kauri Pt. But my instinct would be to try slightly out of the channel, or at least on the edge of it, where you don't need big sinkers to hold the bottom.

In terms of conditions, as Smudge says, it's when 15 knot plus wind opposes tide in high current areas that you'll have an uncomfortable trip. My desk at work overlooks the harbour opposite Stanley Pt and when the sou'wester is blowing down the harbour against an incoming tide, it cuts up very rough.
That area you're talking about is very exposed to SW. The Northcote ferry is often cancelled in those conditions.

Usually, you'll find that the SW (the prevailing wind in Auckland) kicks up late morning/afternoon in summer. you can get in a good trip from 6am till 10.30, certainly a feed. Another option would be to try off the North Shore's eastern coastline. There will be shelter from SW winds and in summer, there's some good fishing there I believe.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaundtsl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 8:32am
shaundtsl View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the great info Tamure Kid!