One Hell of an "EPIC" day livebaiting for Big Reds

Post Options Post Options   Likes (6) Likes(6)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One Hell of an "EPIC" day livebaiting for Big Reds
    Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 4:57pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

One hell of an"Epic" day live baiting for "BIG REDS" in my mates new back yard... (Kerikeri Inlet)

Leaving Friday after work it looked like it was going to be a long haul North with every other Aucklander heading the same way, my journey was to get me to Kerikeri inlet before dark. Darren had invited me up to his new pad - Darren is the one that taught me a lot on his old back yard "The Mighty Kaipara" He's in the middle of moving to Kerikeri inlet - it's been a long year but Feb this year he will be perm playing in his new backyard (Bay of islands) I have fished the BOI's since the mid 80's and use to base my fishing trips there for about 15yrs before moving them further North to Doubtless Bay.

The plan was to try and get Fri evening on the water as I was only there for a day, Darren had been catching Big Snaps to 20lb with a few bust offs in between on live baits for the past couple weeks. Normally the trip takes 3-3.30hrs but this time It took me 5.30hrs with all the traffic - The great thing Darren was packed and ready to go so as soon as I turned up we were hitched up and drove the 2min drive to the end of his street to one dodgy boat ramp....
It was lucky the boat wasn't to big as it would of been a long tow to a better ramp - although the plan was to live bait for big Snaps we didn't have time to look for Mac's so we took one burley and a 2kg bag of pillies - Sat was going to be the biz and Darren said we will fill up on livies in couple mins tomorrow morn on the way out to his spot. With him living at the end of the inlet it only took us about 10mins to get to the middle ground.

We fished for a few hrs with some nice Reds coming aboard with the biggest being about 10-12lb - Darren always likes to fish with livies when it comes to Big Reds, he even did this on the Kaipara. Getting back to his place round 10.30pm we had a quick munch and it was off to the back of the Surf where I had set up my sleeping quarters for the night - it was like the good old days and brought back a lot of fishing mems. With a good 4hrs sleep we were back up at 4.30 Sat morn setting off for our live baiting big Red mish - Like Darren said and with the sun just rising we filled up the live bait tank with Mac's and we were on our way.

The one great thing I like about live baiting for Big Snaps you really keep the mortality rate down as you only normally catch solid fish from 3-4lb up and you normally catch them every 10-20mins and only keep a few because of size. We were set up just as the sun came over the Brett, he said it normally took about an hour for them to come on once the burley got going. There was already a few boats turning up and I remember this area being like Queen Street this time of year.

Dropping the burley we took our time and both threaded up a livey for our first crack at some of these big far North Reds, Darren said don't expect to much at first but once they come on they will smash us left right and centre. We had about 20 livies to play with and we had a bag of dead baits to if needed, I don't do a lot of live baiting for Snaps but when I have it has been very exciting and always produced solid Reds. As Darren said it took awhile for our first baits to start twitching and with big livies we had to restrain ourselves from striking to soon, it felt weird to let line peel of the spool for about 30secs then flicking the bail arm over it would load up and on the strike the rod to keep bending.

Sometimes after 10-20secs it would stop and you would be cursing - I new I should of struck only for your rod to load up again and sometimes striking with solid weight and shakes then nothing again, we dropped some solid Reds through the morning but this is what it's all about winning a few losing a few. The early morning was a little slow and not the usual when fishing (Best time just before daybreak) but around 10.00 all hell broke lose and we where getting smashed by some good Reds - We landed one to every drop or miss we had. We had a couple of chances to make a 20lb plus fish stick but it wasn't to be this time - Darren dropped a real goodie and I dropped a couple myself - maybe we didn't let them run long enough or maybe even to long who knows but all an all the morning was one "Epic" live bait sesh.

We let some stonkers go and with most being double fig fish we didn't need a lot for a good feed - Fri night we kept 3 of the 6-7 solid fish we caught and the Sat morning Big Snappa mayhem out of the 10-15 solid fish we caught we kept another 5 as Darren had the en-laws up for New Years and I wanted to take some home for the fam.

Tight Lines

Sun set couple hours into the sesh

Sunrise - Livebaiting for big Reds time Big smile

The first night excursion but with baits as didn't have time to get livies  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 7:58pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 8:04pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats some very good fishing. Nice. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 8:53pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Jase, Nice Fishing- Great Photo'sWink Cheers G.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote huntfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 9:57pm
huntfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good read....cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sole M8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 10:09am
Sole M8 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

superb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 10:31am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That looks like great fun. How do you rig your livies when targeting snapper?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 11:56am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome effort thereClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KaiKatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 8:37am
KaiKatcha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

I have the same question too. I've been suffering stolen livebait the last few times I've been bottom fishing with Jack Macs. How's your hook up rate / technique?
Less today leaves more for tomorrow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeastMode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 9:45am
BeastMode View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome report. Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 5:31pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by KaiKatcha KaiKatcha wrote:

Originally posted by Telecaster Telecaster wrote:

I have the same question too. I've been suffering stolen livebait the last few times I've been bottom fishing with Jack Macs. How's your hook up rate / technique?

What I like to do is go once right through the tail then put hook in half way up the body then pokes back out just behind the wing - my mate uses the fixed hook rig as well one hook near tail the other up where I have my hook..

Both have the sinker running to the hook so once the hook is threaded on the livie the sinker will sit down by the tail.
This allows the fish to swim down with the aid of your sinker.

I try to let the bait swim my line off the spool, you will see this as it's pulling line the tip is vibrating, this is from me holding the line against the top lip of the spool releasing it as the fish pulls - occasionally I will stop it pull the rod up slowly to force the live back to the ball sinker...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 6:25pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great report Jason, & well done on the 'how-to' video at the end. Thumbs Up

Now bugger off & leave MY snapper alone ! 
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KaiKatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 10:14am
KaiKatcha View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the explanation Fishwisperer, will give that a try.
Less today leaves more for tomorrow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 9:25am
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Hi Jase, Nice Fishing- Great Photo'sWink Cheers G.

Cheers Geoff - yip was a lot of fun, sounds like some big fish have turned up for you Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 9:58am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Do the maccys last long rigged like that? I've always thought they were a pretty delicate fish so I try to rig them kinda minimally, although the tradeoff is getting "cherry picked" when a fish just sucks the maccy off the hook.

Though I guess when there's a hot bite the longevity of the bait is a secondary issue :P
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 5:41pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

Do the maccys last long rigged like that? I've always thought they were a pretty delicate fish so I try to rig them kinda minimally, although the tradeoff is getting "cherry picked" when a fish just sucks the maccy off the hook.

Though I guess when there's a hot bite the longevity of the bait is a secondary issue :P

Hi Rozboon - when the fishing is real hot like as soon as it hits the bottom I norm put it through the top of the mouth or nostril to nostril - we where getting hit bout every 10-15mins and could see the livie kicking away the whole time - just try not to go through the back bone and just lightly in and back out the side - winding it up and down prob kills them quick to - I just leave on the bottom and even let a little line if no interest....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 10:46am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sweet, cheers for the info :)