27.5 lb Snap! Mokau....

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (13) Likes(13)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 27.5 lb Snap! Mokau....
    Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 1:46pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi All, The Xmas New year week down here saw some excellent conditions and fishing to go with it. 

Mokau Fishing Club ran a four Day Competion with the Top Five Snapper all going on the length rather than weight which is becoming more popular these days with Comps. 

I'm a bit of a loner with me fish'n and haven't been in any proper Comps, apart from the online NZ Measure, so with Swellmap showing good seas gave it a go! 

Changed nothing lined up me landmarks close in and set up as normal and got into itBig smile. Thirty plus boats entered with most fishing out wide, myself and brother the closest in by a long shot! Hit a Beauty on the first day of Comp which managed to hold on and take the top Prize. Unfortunately made a hash of the first attempts of photo's with the mat unrolled on the small seat in the Mac. 
The fish went nuts ended up Flapping around to much on floor of boat, causing damage 

to itself when we released it didn't make it. Our only disadvantage in a little boat if you don't get it right the first time for a successful release its always going to be hard for the fishes survival. All was not wasted though i shared the fish around. 

Nothing was left with the head,  wings and backbone getting smoked!!Was also my best Snap for a while, was 87cm long and weighed 12.46 kg's. A couple of photo's- on the mat and me at home. Good fish'n to all for the New YearBig smile Cheers.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 1:55pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fish Geoff, well done..liked..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 2:06pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Living the dream Geoff  beautiful fish and glad to hear it was put to good use.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 2:34pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nice fish Geoff. Well done
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MandM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 2:43pm
MandM View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome mate!!
Well done
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 2:51pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work Geoff , you would a hard man to beat in a local comp I would say , however you do the hard yards so well deserved.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 2:58pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Littlest boat catches the biggest fish. Happens alot more than people think. Well done Geoff
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 3:30pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Congratulations on another great fish Geoff!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 3:36pm
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well done that's one great fish,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paihia panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 4:22pm
paihia panther View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

geoff we have had fish that size coming in on kite sets all through this year off port waikato doesnt surprise me you nailing them in close
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sole M8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 4:27pm
Sole M8 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome Geoff
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 4:55pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

another fine example,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 7:58pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Beats my best ever. Nice Geoff. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 8:06pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I don't think anyone else had a chance in that comp Geoff, well done!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 8:24pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I don't think anyone else had a chance in that comp Geoff, well done!
Thanks Smudge!I was very lucky as top five were all over 20lbs in the high 70's and second place at 82.5cm. All fantastic Snaps to catch in a Comp. Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 8:45pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by paihia panther paihia panther wrote:

geoff we have had fish that size coming in on kite sets all through this year off port waikato doesnt surprise me you nailing them in close
Hi paiha panther!Yep theres a few big Snaps getting caught locally as well off the beach here in the last month. 95 % on kontiki's though. I kite fished for over twenty years down here before i took up boat fishing and part of my theories for fishing in closer was the success  i had with my kites and catching big Snaps... Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 7:40am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Well done Geoff

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 8:20am
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice competition fishing Geoff!.
Good skills
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 10:01am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Another amazing snap in close.  Well done, and no problems with you taking the fish. Liked.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 8:34pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome, well done Geoff that would be a fish of a life time for most of us.

A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Page  12>