The Mythical Great White Eel of Waitete Bay

Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Mythical Great White Eel of Waitete Bay
    Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 5:39pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My youngest grandson, Zen, was here at Waitete Bay in the school holidays a few months ago and made friends with a boy across the road. These boys are 8 years old so the imagination is very active. Over the last few months they had talked of this giant that had the power to swallow a man in a single bite and that after they had seen this creature and its fearsome mouth a plan was hatched to land this monster. For the last few days these fearless hunters had fed this monster and today was the day they planned on capturing it.
Only boys of this age can summon the courage to do battle against such a huge enemy and this they did. There were no news cameras, no safety officers and not even a camera to record this event.
Im pleased to announce though that the Great White Eel of Waitete Bay has been defeated.
The successful angler showed a length of just under 5ft on the wall, another witness showed a length of 30 inches but its simply didnt matter as the monster had been defeated.
Zen is the defeater and therefore the champion.
(the eel was released unfortunatly with the hook that had been swallowed, deep inside)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 5:52pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up The imagination us adults have lost.Great read.liked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 5:56pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Great story Barrie, well told.
Brings back memories of my encounter with  the giants brother about 60 years ago.
I "borrowed" my uncles pitchfork for the battle & returned it with a couple of bent prongs

Zen will sleep well tonight after a battle of such epic proportions.no rockin' requiredLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 6:02pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Zen will sleep well tonight after a battle of such epic proportions.no rockin' requiredLOL

Only if the stories stop being told but to me its the foundation of every outdoors boy.
I doubt that there is even one NZ born or raised kid that hasnt had a similar story.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 6:13pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It will likely lose the hook, eels are great survivors. Good story. I lived to catch eels as a kid.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2016 at 9:08pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had the sudden thought that Barrie must have gone back to nude swimming again. Glad to find out that it was a much more wholesome eel story. 
I remember some similar adventures at a similar age and the fond memory of my dad not bursting our bubble when we described this impossibly large eel that had pulled over a fence post and swum off with our little handline that we had tied to it. A few days later he came down and helped us pull a 'monster' eel out of the creek at the same spot, but of course it wasn't even a third as big as the one in that hole that swum off with our line a few days earlier. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 10:51am
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

that's a great kiwi story. Awesome
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 2:15pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very cool. Kids eh! 😄
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 2:46pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

might have to taniwha hunting up hunua
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 3:20pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Pics or it didn't happen Barrie, that was gold!LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 3:21pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Make sure that you buy a Taniwha hunting permit first!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 4:15pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Pics or it didn't happen Barrie, that was gold!LOL

Mate, they did it for the challenge not the TV newsWink