Gorgeous Swallowtail

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gorgeous Swallowtail
    Posted: 27 Dec 2016 at 10:53am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There are some spectacular fish out there. Alexander Saris sent this picture to me to try to identify it. The location isn't specified, and although it is a magnificent fish, it was a struggle to get close to it. 

I'm still not convinced I have it exactly, but I think I'm close. I think this fish is very similar to Odontanthias tapui, one of the Anthias group - part of Family Seranidae which includes the Groupers and Rock-cods. The reason I don't think I have it exactly is because this species is found only in the Cook and Society Islands in the eastern Pacific, and they are recorded to only 150mm! The colouration is similar but slightly different, but I couldn't find another species of Odontanthias that looks this close. They are a rare fish, especially because they are found in deep waters of more than 100m.

There is a closely-related Australian deep-water Anthiid called Odontanthias grahami (Graham's Swallowtail) that has a similar shape, especially of the spectacular tail.

I'd be happy if someone can get closer to the actual species.

====================================================

PS - Thanks to Brentyn Bird, we have a confirmed ID. This is certainly an Anthiid, but one of the biggest - it is the Gorgeous Swallowtail (Meganthias natalensis). They are recorded to 500mm (excluding the tail), the size of this particular fish, caught in Kenya in 2012. This species is found only in the western Indian Ocean, from Africa, Madagascar and Reunion Islands.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 6:50am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thanks Al. That was an interesting hunt. It took awhile to find the proper scientific name. I worked on it's size (very large for the anthias group) , the fact that it had been caught on a line (so there'll be a google picture of it out there somewhere, and my guess that it would be an Indian Ocean species.

Sure enough- Meganthias natalensis popped up eventually. Caught mostly in the Seychelles but extending right down into cooler southern waters as suggested by its species name (natalensis) and its larger size.

A larger crop of your pic here

but not much info. Quite an uncommon catch by the sound of things.

Cheers!