Seachange - take note!

Page  <1 5678>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 10:00pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Well I spoke to Scott Macindoe tonight and raised a few concerns regarding Iwi,Basically they need "legasea" and "legasea" needs them to achieve on some points. He has spent close to or over 3000hrs in 6 months or so get what is believed to be the best result.At the time of voting had to agree to what was being proposed.There was no option to disagree.
So it is a wait and see game now.Mpi/Doc etc

On mpa zones 12/13 proposed and you could not vote say 2 you had agree to all.(roughly  translated)

"On mpa zones 12/13 proposed and you could not vote say 2 you had agree to all.(roughly  translated)"
Yep, and I suspect that is exactly what will happen during the so called "public consultation" stage.
The public should have been consulted before the plan was negotiated between party's. Not after their ideas were a fait accompli making the faux public consultation a tick the boxes excercise..
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 10:06pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Well I spoke to Scott Macindoe tonight and raised a few concerns regarding Iwi,Basically they need "legasea" and "legasea" needs them to achieve on some points. He has spent close to or over 3000hrs in 6 months or so get what is believed to be the best result.At the time of voting had to agree to what was being proposed.There was no option to disagree.
So it is a wait and see game now.Mpi/Doc etc

On mpa zones 12/13 proposed and you could not vote say 2 you had agree to all.(roughly  translated)

"On mpa zones 12/13 proposed and you could not vote say 2 you had agree to all.(roughly  translated)"
Yep, and I suspect that is exactly what will happen during the so called "public consultation" stage.
The public should have been consulted before the plan was negotiated between party's. Not after their ideas were a fait accompli making the faux public consultation a tick the boxes excercise..

The same process that is used for snapper consultations.
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LegaSea Community Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 10:01am
LegaSea Community Builder View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

Originally posted by LegaSea Community Builder LegaSea Community Builder wrote:

If local communities have to do wholesale lock outs all the time and rec fishers lose wholesale then the whole plan has failed. Bottom line. 

Don't get me wrong Scott as I am not trying to criticise LegaSea who I see being in a very tough position and doing their best in the circumstances, but unless their is some protection for recreational fishing written into the management rules, I don't want my children to be the ones looking back and asking how our generation ever agreed to the complete destruction of their fishing rights. The fact that maybe everyone is playing nice right now is no protection at all for the future once we agree to being marginalised out of the management structure. This really is a very serious issue as far as I can see from the current documentation.  

Saying that the whole plan has failed recreational fishing 10 or 15 years from now because the people and attitudes have changed is not going to be any consolation. I would love to see this work, but without protective legislation around it, it is likely to become a political mess with only one big loser. I guess the question is, have I missed something about how our rights will be protected from the self interest and bias of the other groups who will have the majority voting powers in the management groups?

Yes, valid concerns. Co-management is going to have to have a structure or some written agreement in place so political manoeuvring doesn't create losers on an ongoing basis, it's supposed to be creating winners, first for the Gulf then for all it's users.
 Are you able to come to the Sea Change meeting? So far Sat morning, Sat afternoon or an evening have been suggested, I'm thinking about a Sat lunch scenario?

EDIT - I have put this forward to our team who are doing the FAQ on Sea Change - I guess the question is, have I missed something about how our rights will be protected from the self interest and bias of the other groups who will have the majority voting powers in the management groups?
Very good question, will see what comes back as i don't have an accurate answer on the bottom line sorry.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 10:20am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

...."The plan is bigger than just a reserve at Tiri,"

To all us fishers, the plan is NOT bigger than each reserve because, each reserve reduces our fishing opportunity. Classic political manoeuvring, to impose unwanted things in little bits. Then later - impose some more, etc etc.

Legasea has got in a pickle. Losing support, due to getting into bed with the opposition. Its not too late to review it - and come out fighting. We would then get in behind you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LegaSea Community Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 10:35am
Silver
Silver

If the plan delivers better fishing every where - for example if the fishing on the north side of the peninsula (Wellington reef etc) improves to the point of decent fish being regularly caught, will you miss the fishing in Tiri channel? 
My individual 2 cents (I'm not necessarily speaking on behalf of LegaSea here) would be to see reserves phased in as the fishing gets better because of the other plan-action points, e.g. trawlers leaving etc, so it maybe a 5yr time line rather than boom! reserves in place from day one, without rebuilding overall having taken place first. Once the proof is evident, fishers may feel ok about more reserves, maybe placed by agreement of local stakeholders etc. Another consideration would be reserves in safe anchorages - what I mean is, having a variety of locations available to safely fish rather than reserves in key places that lock fishers out of places where you could only fish in bad easterly etc.... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 12:06pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Moving the trawl line doesn't mean any less fish being removed does it? Same biomass, same amount of extraction, more or less same damage done. Have never quite worked out how shifting the fishing effort a few miles is going to help the stock rebuild
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 12:16pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tagit, placing restrictions on destructive fishing methods may well provide the necessary financial incentive for industry to pursue other types of less destructive fishing methods.
Now, if only those engaged in commercial activities that damage the benthic floor were required to undergo the full Resource Management process, this would provide further financial incentive to adopt less destructive practices!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 12:19pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Moving the trawl line doesn't mean any less fish being removed does it? Same biomass, same amount of extraction, more or less same damage done. Have never quite worked out how shifting the fishing effort a few miles is going to help the stock rebuild

by removing the trawler to 12nm ..

1. recovery of sea bed and habitats Marine life , seaweeds,sea grass ,shell fish etc 

2. smaller fish that congregate in these areas protected

3. Breeding spawning snapper protected ,plus all other species within this area  

4. Having a 12nm protection zone from damaging fishing methods must have an impact on rebuild.

5. Having reserves created within theses areas as well with further enhance fish stocks within this zone 

6. Presently all bottom trawling which is occurring is in clear breach of the RMA
The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 1:04pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Surely if there was no option to object then the option to walk away should be kept. Without the largest stakeholder they have no mandate. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tiri4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 5:24pm
tiri4 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

WOW, a lot of passion, a lot of misunderstanding, and a lot of personal attacks.

The Stakeholder Working Group Report on SeaChange is just that, a Report. It has no future pathway for implementation besides political processes. Any actual proposals to implement change will have the usual statutory consultation obligations and time for people to make their voice heard.  

MM posted this ages ago and apparently no one read it...

Recognise the economic, social and cultural importance of non-commercial fishing in FMA 1.

• The NZSFC is not opposed to the establishment of marine reserves in situations where it has been clearly established that a need for special protection exists. This should not include average or typical examples of marine habitats, but rather areas that are “particularly fragile and/or vulnerable to a range of potential impacts and enforcement is more practical than other mechanisms.” The onus should be on the proposer to justify the need for marine reserve status.
  • Justifying the establishment of reserves by arguing the benefits of spillover effects, genetic variation and regeneration of juvenile fish are extremely tenuous arguments at best, which we do not support. Whatever the possible benefits, marine reserves cannot be justified as fisheries management tools.
  • The nature of our fishing activities utilizes many of our offshore islands, many of which appear to be targeted for marine reserve status. The NZSFC will vigorously oppose any marine reserve proposal that attempts to take the total area around any offshore island, such as has occurred at the Poor Knights. Such action seriously disadvantages our members. If marine reserve status can be justified in the case of any offshore island, it must follow the basic pattern of the Tuhua (Mayor Island) reserve, where only a portion of the waters are reserved for “no take”, such compromise to be reached through genuine negotiation between our members and other stakeholders.
  • That all marine reserves applications have had ample notification in a timely manner to enable meaningful submissions and consultation by the public, affected NZSFC clubs and the Council itself.
That is official NZSFC policy that binds LegaSea and anyone advocating on their behalf. This policy will be what drives NZSFC/LegaSea if any MPA proposals are made. You need to separate what the Stakeholder Working Group could jointly agree to going forward in a Report for wider discussion, and what the NZSFC/LegaSea policy is.

There is no doubt that the recreational fishing sector lacks support at local government level, where environmental sympathies seem to flourish. Not a great deal of difference is given between commercial and recreational fishing - both are killing fish. MPAs are their preferred fisheries management tool.

If you agree with the NZSFC policy on MPAs, why would you not support their efforts as the SeaChange Report is rolled out for further discussions? The relentless attacks on organisations taking a lead and gaining political influence seems self defeating. Some sense of realism is needed.

The reality is this. Within the territorial sea the economy and value generated from non commercial fishing dwarfs that of commercial use. There is a huge upside to that non commercial economy by promoting high value tourism, without the need to kill any more fish. Why would a government enable commercial exploitation so high that it prevents high value use from occurring?

It likely wouldn't if it new the real numbers for tax revenues collected and GDP generated was known the Minister of Finance. It is up to us to research the economy of recreational fishing, analyse the data, and present the case to MPs. Alongside this demonstrate just how socially important recreational fishing is to New Zealanders and how deeply they care for their rights.

Think snapper in 2013. The intensity of the backlash to proposals surprised Wellington, and in the end forced a decision to raise the TAC and increase the Allowance for recreational fishing. Not a perfect result I agree, but given the toxic advice being bandied about by officials it was perhaps as good as could be expected.

Think SeaChange. If we keep ourselves informed, keep watching for the tricky sidesteps in the shadows, we will have time to organise and rally for anything stupid that comes out. So far there is nothing, and given the Sanford response I wouldn't expect anything soon.

In the end though, the more we kick each other in the guts the easier we are rolled. Debate the issues, avoid the personalities.  

Happy New Year to y'all

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:31pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good post T4. 

One of my many concerns at the moment though is that he government don't see any financial connection between reducing rec angling catch limits and the income they earn from rec fishing. Growing population and therefore more money from rec fishing even if they do mess with our rights. On the other hand, if they reduce commercial catches they see a direct drop in export earnings and potentially government revenues.

We can (and should) present as much as we can about the economic value of rec fishing, but unless we convince the government that the economic value is somehow directly proportional to their actions in taking away rec angling rights, they won't lift a finger to enhance/protect rec angling in NZ. 
Getting the facts right is essential, but until establish some political leverage the facts will just be seen as an annoying inconvenience to be offset with copious amounts of government and comm industry 'spin'.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:33pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Legasea Comm Builder (Scott)  - yes I will try to get to the meeting. I work 7 days a week now during our busy season, but if I can get free I will. Just let us know where and when.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 10:12am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The idea that a marine reserve makes fishing better outside the reserve, needs to be challenged.
Fish will be in the reserve because the conditions are better than outside - shelter, food, security. Any fish that moves outside, by mistake, will soon realize it is worse, and move back; or get caught.
Migratory fish like snapper, kingfish, kahawai, will certainly move away. In their normal travels, they move a long way, not just nearby.
So, there is no reason to think reserves are going to make a net improvement to fishing.
That is an idea that is suggested by environmentalists to try and reduce opposition. Don't be fooled.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LegaSea Community Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 11:04am
Silver
Silver

Legasea Comm Builder (Scott)  - yes I will try to get to the meeting. I work 7 days a week now during our busy season, but if I can get free I will. Just let us know where and when.

Good, ok, will try and give good advance warning to include as many as possible.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 12:24pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by tiri4 tiri4 wrote:

WOW, a lot of passion, a lot of misunderstanding, and a lot of personal attacks.

The Stakeholder Working Group Report on SeaChange is just that, a Report. It has no future pathway for implementation besides political processes. Any actual proposals to implement change will have the usual statutory consultation obligations and time for people to make their voice heard.  

MM posted this ages ago and apparently no one read it...

<div ="clearfix des" style="-sizing: border-; width: 827.5px; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial; font-size: 15px;"><div colspan="1" valign="top" ="col-sm-9 msg_wrapper msgLineDevider msgableRow" style="-sizing: border-; : relative; min-height: 1px; padding: 5px; : left; width: 620.625px;"><div ="msg" style="-sizing: border-; width: 610.625px; padding: 5px;">Recognise the economic, social and cultural importance of non-commercial fishing in FMA 1.<div style="-sizing: border-;"><br style="-sizing: border-;">
<div style="-sizing: border-;"><ul style="-sizing: border-; margin: 0px 0px 0px 1.25rem; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: transparent; padding: 0px; font-family: " Sans", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1rem; line-height: 1.6;"><li ="larger"="" style="-sizing: border-; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: transparent; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 0.85em; line-height: 1.9;">The NZSFC is not opposed to the establishment of marine reserves in situations where it has been clearly established that a need for special protection exists. This should not include average or typical examples of marine habitats, but rather areas that are “particularly fragile and/or vulnerable to a range of potential impacts and enforcement is more practical than other mechanisms.” The onus should be on the proposer to justify the need for marine reserve status.<li ="larger"="" style="-sizing: border-; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: transparent; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 0.85em; line-height: 1.9;">Justifying the establishment of reserves by arguing the benefits of spillover effects, genetic variation and regeneration of juvenile fish are extremely tenuous arguments at best, which we do not support. Whatever the possible benefits, marine reserves cannot be justified as fisheries management tools.<li ="larger"="" style="-sizing: border-; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: transparent; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 0.85em; line-height: 1.9;">The nature of our fishing activities utilizes many of our offshore islands, many of which appear to be targeted for marine reserve status. The NZSFC will vigorously oppose any marine reserve proposal that attempts to take the total area around any offshore island, such as has occurred at the Poor Knights. Such action seriously disadvantages our members. If marine reserve status can be justified in the case of any offshore island, it must follow the basic pattern of the Tuhua (Mayor Island) reserve, where only a portion of the waters are reserved for “no take”, such compromise to be reached through genuine negotiation between our members and other stakeholders.<li ="larger"="" style="-sizing: border-; -webkit-tap-highlight-color: transparent; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 0.85em; line-height: 1.9;">That all marine reserves applications have had ample notification in a timely manner to enable meaningful submissions and consultation by the public, affected NZSFC clubs and the Council itself.<div ="msgSignature_wrapper clearfix" style="-sizing: border-; padding: 5px; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial; font-size: 15px;"><div ="msgSignature_container col-sm-9 col-sm-offset-3" style="-sizing: border-; : relative; min-height: 1px; padding: 5px; : left; width: 620.625px; margin-left: 206.875px;">
That is official NZSFC policy that binds LegaSea and anyone advocating on their behalf. This policy will be what drives NZSFC/LegaSea if any MPA proposals are made. You need to separate what the Stakeholder Working Group could jointly agree to going forward in a Report for wider discussion, and what the NZSFC/LegaSea policy is.

There is no doubt that the recreational fishing sector lacks support at local government level, where environmental sympathies seem to flourish. Not a great deal of difference is given between commercial and recreational fishing - both are killing fish. MPAs are their preferred fisheries management tool.

If you agree with the NZSFC policy on MPAs, why would you not support their efforts as the SeaChange Report is rolled out for further discussions? The relentless attacks on organisations taking a lead and gaining political influence seems self defeating. Some sense of realism is needed.

The reality is this. Within the territorial sea the economy and value generated from non commercial fishing dwarfs that of commercial use. There is a huge upside to that non commercial economy by promoting high value tourism, without the need to kill any more fish. Why would a government enable commercial exploitation so high that it prevents high value use from occurring?

It likely wouldn't if it new the real numbers for tax revenues collected and GDP generated was known the Minister of Finance. It is up to us to research the economy of recreational fishing, analyse the data, and present the case to MPs. Alongside this demonstrate just how socially important recreational fishing is to New Zealanders and how deeply they care for their rights.

Think snapper in 2013. The intensity of the backlash to proposals surprised Wellington, and in the end forced a decision to raise the TAC and increase the Allowance for recreational fishing. Not a perfect result I agree, but given the toxic advice being bandied about by officials it was perhaps as good as could be expected.

Think SeaChange. If we keep ourselves informed, keep watching for the tricky sidesteps in the shadows, we will have time to organise and rally for anything stupid that comes out. So far there is nothing, and given the Sanford response I wouldn't expect anything soon.

In the end though, the more we kick each other in the guts the easier we are rolled. Debate the issues, avoid the personalities.  

Happy New Year to y'all

Re: - Think Snapper in 2013.
The result we got was what we were going to get anyway. They deliberately release some bad options, some easy options and usually one mid option which is their preferred choice. They then let the media do its thing. Everyone focuses on the bad options..They swoop in and say we listened to the public and will take the middle option. Job done. They have what they want and the gullible believe they won a victory.
Typical modus operandi of Politicians/bureaucrats since time immortal.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 5:38pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by letsgetem letsgetem wrote:

The idea that a marine reserve makes fishing better outside the reserve, needs to be challenged.
Fish will be in the reserve because the conditions are better than outside - shelter, food, security. Any fish that moves outside, by mistake, will soon realize it is worse, and move back; or get caught.
Migratory fish like snapper, kingfish, kahawai, will certainly move away. In their normal travels, they move a long way, not just nearby.
So, there is no reason to think reserves are going to make a net improvement to fishing.
That is an idea that is suggested by environmentalists to try and reduce opposition. Don't be fooled.

Correct, all the data from the Goat Island reserve shows that the reserve has no measurable effect outside its boundaries.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LegaSea Community Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 7:54am
Silver
Silver

Hi All, sorry for the delay, just trying to coordinate schedules for a Sat lunch/afternoon. Should have a proposed date for a Sea Change meeting today or tomorrow thanks...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LegaSea Community Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 8:50am
Silver
Silver

Hi All, Here's 2 possible dates, we've got about 5 people interested from the forums so far we may spread the net further to try and get others who may also have concerns/questions.

The earliest dat his not a Saturday but next Tuesday Jan 31st is free, time is flexible but something like 6:30-7pm start I would envisage. 

The next available date is Sat 25th February, 12-3pm.
There's a possibility it could be at Fishing Net offices or LegaSea HQ, will confirm once we have the date sorted.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 9:02am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

either of those times are ok with me ,surly more than 5 only have shown interest ? 

The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LegaSea Community Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 9:18am
Silver
Silver

Only 5 so far - either publicly or via PM have indicated their interest so far. 
Page  <1 5678>