Fibreglass repair

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fibreglass repair
    Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 8:51pm
Hookedline&sinker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi, on my third go in my boat I had an incident on Sunday. I underestimated the trailer and water depth. Scraped the hull near the engine. Knowledgable boaties can you pls share:
- can I fix this myself without using power tools?
- are there reasonably priced kits available that you recommend?
- unlike my previous query there are too many responses on google for best approach. How would you fix this?
- can I use the boat before fixed? (likely repairers all busy until after Xmas so may need to patch until proper qualified repair if required)

Thanks in advance for any responders.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 8:56pm
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You shouldn't use the boat until its repaired. Looks like your thru the gel coat there and into the fibres. Your better to get it repaired by a professional, but can do it yourself. You need to get it dry for a start and keep it dry ( hence the no using it)

Im no expert but I have done quite a bit of fibre glassing. I haven't had anything to do with gel coat though. Im sure there will be someone on here vastly more experienced than me who can point you in the rite direction
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 8:19am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Assuming its not structural.. which will show cracks sound the area and once opened up  obvious breaks in the fibres.
 A drill 18v will do the job with a heavt dremel/ file bit.
Grind in till get to dry and solid glass...and go past the edges of the scrapes to also remove any remaining de laminate gel coat.

Blow out/ remove ALL dust.
If what u have ground out is only superfical.. not having to go deep..
you have 2 choices
1/ gelcoat.. mix up and wipe/ rub well in, build up then with strips of masking tape laid across as you wipe build up, to stop it hanging and running. Allow to cure.. next day  . remove tape, grind / sand  off any high spots,  rough up any low and repeat. When have a good surface.. usially 2 applications...  block sand back smooth but still slightly high with 280 wet and dry.. then 380 then 600/800    then 1200  and want looking real good 1800 and machine cut/ polish
2/ Epoxy.. similar to the above.. it is stronger but keep in mind  you can epoxy onto glass but cant glass (resin) onto epoxy..doesnt stick well.

If the damage is deep, but not structural, you can mix glass and resen (or epoxy) over the ground out area to build up the finish with the gelcoat.

If structural.. you have to grind right back till not cracks de lamination, the build up with layers of glass and resin... basically as you would build up a wide weld in steel.

Quick fix for summer
 to seal the area grind out, find out if structural, fill with glass and resin..a little resin rich.. then roughly grind the high points off to general shape.
 It is very important that yo get all air bubbles out, have no air cavities, and when using glass it is wetted out .. ie no dry areas....with as little resin as possible...ie not resin rich.

to expect to do even a basic job without power tools is next to impossible... a reasonable drill or grinder and heavy dremel/ file.. they are around $50+   if small grinder  180 sanding disks

wear mask when grinding glass, and gloves to prevent prickly fingers and wear cotton/ wool cloths for the next few days to minimise the prickly.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 6:53am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just to clarify what Steps said. You can put fibreglass over epoxy but you need to use epoxy to wet it out. You can't use polyester resin over epoxy. The only reason polyester is used in boats is price. Where cost is no issue (Americas cup) epoxy is the only resin used. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 10:28pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I agree with steps. ....
There's a simpler way.
Ph me. ....retired laminator and tech.adviser Nuplex Resins / Composites.
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hookedline&sinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 4:34am
Hookedline&sinker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks very much for the advise and support guys.with the rush before xmas i decided to get a shop to look at it and picked up the boat yesterday. I have learnt about other options for next time (in particular, Peter thanks for providing contact details).