Advice please

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice please
    Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 8:56pm
viper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all

I would like some help with kingfish popper fishing of the rocks around the north shore murrys bay,Browns bay & Torbay.
I have a shimano back bone elite 8.2 topwater rod and 1200 oc bait runner reel load with 37lb mono.
I am using a 80lb leader.
Right what is the best time of year to fish,tide and time etc?
What is the best size and popper to use.
I would love to catch any size kingfish doing this if this is possible?
The other day I had a short go at high tide on the rocks to the left of murrays bay wharf and at winstones cove at low tide but had no luck yet.

Any help with this would be great.

Thanks

Steve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 9:03pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi viper its very close to the time of year when you want to try this. I would try first light as much as possible best tide depends on where you want to fish and access. Kingfish can show anywhere at anytime so as you make cast after cast make sure you concentrate as a lot of time may pass for a hit. Watch for skipping piper or any other baitfish fleeing too. Good luck! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2016 at 10:52pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Like Muppet said, re the timing - dawn, when it tends to be calmer, and I've read that kingies don't feed as much at night, so are hungry at dawn. From now on, in the Waitemata fringes and rocky shoreline, even right up to the head of the harbour once summer kicks in.
I've been trying the same land-based thing on the southern side of the bridge. 
The main difference is that I'm using braid, and lighter leader. 

You will need a lot of patience because you are waiting to intercept kingies on their patrols along the weed line, and need to be in the right place at the right time for baitfish bust ups. Some of the top fly exponents for kingies say there's no point roaming too much and casting endlessly, choose a good spot and observe as much as you cast. Some trips a kingie won't show up, some they will. 

Most top water guys chasing kingies prefer stick baits to poppers. I've heard people say that poppers get a lot of chasers, but not as many takers as stick baits. 

There are a few decent low-cost poppers with good hooks and split rings if you do go that direction, and two main types: The blooper types, such as Williamson Jet (I've got some of the smaller size) and i think the Halco Roosta (not too big); and the skittering ones. Of the latter, give the Strike Pro Lazerlite a try, though they are only 40g, so you may struggle for distance with your set up.

As Muppet alluded to, the key summer prey along the papa rock coasts up your way are going to be piper and mullet (both 'sprats' and grey). So keep that in mind when it comes to colour and size.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 5:24pm
viper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for your replys I will keep all this in mind and let you know how I get on over the summer.
One thing I fish at Milford marina for parore and have seen kingfish chasing bait fish around in there.
I wonder if it might be a idea to give the entrance to the marina ago at high tide on the sea side that is?

Thanks again.

Steve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 8:55pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Definitely take your top water rod (fully rigged, ready to go) with you when you're fishing for parore. If a bust up occurs, leap into action.

Otherwise it'd be worth blind casting up current near structure at the marina, where kingies or big kahawai are likely to be waiting in ambush.

In the area you're talking about, I'd go with small lures like that Strike Pro in terms of poppers. I doubt the bait fish up that small creek are very big.