How many people run rapalas / deep diving lures?

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many people run rapalas / deep diving lures?
    Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 7:23pm
coxie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just out of curiosity, how many people out there run a rapala or similar deep diving lure in their spread? After fishing in Raro recently where these are common, they don't seem to be used much here... is this just because of the different species available or? interested in anyones thoughts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 7:48pm
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i  very really do but got a in the prizes kingy on an owner deep diver on sunday 

i know a fair amount of good fishos that swear on a rapala run on shotgun out the back for yellowfin 

and after sundays play with a  deep divers which ran very well  seriously thinking of playing with them more , 

if you where to ask me, i would in great truth swear i got a hit from a wahoo out of tauranga in a one base years ago on a mahimahi color rapala 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 7:52pm
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thinking about replacing the trebles on the deep divers with singles  does any one know what size and what type of hook i should replace with 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 7:54pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nope from me. Sometimes in gulf when going between workups will use em or prospecting kings when know likely to be there. But never off tuts where marlin are the target and yft an ocassional but welcome by catch. Small boat usually just run four of best squirted lures I can run on day. Same for dredges still not a fan. Big fan of simplicity... like to run bit quicker than rapalla will tow effectively as well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 8:00pm
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yes speed is a problem  , years ago when i was playing with them i found by running a trolling weight/ weights  in front of them to keep them in the water we could go a bit faster , but im not sure if that IGFA  legal today or back then        Nuke            , and with the deep divers really digging into the water maybe you would need to put them on 130s to hold them at 7 ta , 9 knots  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 8:13pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

stick baits aside, hard body lures do seem less popular in nz than other places. not sure why, predatory fish are predatory fish after all? coxie - if you're thinking of running one from the ski, bear in mind that big, deep divers create a hell of a lot of resistance and will really test the welding on your chilly bin rack! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 8:34pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I do at times, but I think not enough for gamefish that is.
I suspect it's habit.
Certainly if I'm after a skip for a livie I don't but if I'm filling the freezer for the winter than zest, rapalas everything goes in the water.

As to hooks, I have completely changed over to two singles on my lures down deep and don't use trebles anymore.
I use jig hooks and livebait hooks for shear strength and use a variety from inline eyes to horizontal to suit the lure.
I always use big hooks and mainly SS as I don't like rust in my containers or a lack of strength.

I believe that fishing for game we can become lazy and offering baits or lures subsurface for game is a lost opportunity.
For tuna it should be a standard as well as mahi here in NZ.
Though my knowledge on Marlin being caught in this fashion is almost non existent.

It's always an interesting subject , in respect to there are a number of tools we can use.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 9:02pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hey Mattoo,
When it is quite, we used to run a chrome spoon, shaped like a shoe horn, with a 30 ft trace and a trolling weight and ball bearing swivel in the middle.
 bit like a rapala
Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 9:15pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Paul hi,

It never ceases to amaze me the things we use for fishing.

There is no doubt that with different species which are on the bite that the most incongruous items receive attention.

It seems also accepted that the foreign item can illicit a bite from a gun shy fish.

It is the fisherman that challenges or sees or offers the alternate representative bait item that may at times receive the reward all the more sweet for the ingenuity or proffering of something out of the box.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 9:19pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've run Yozuri Magnums with big plastic bibs, long before Rapala made them and had good success on kingies and YFT. Changed the trebles for ss doubles which I've secured with copper wire.
Biggest yft - 48 kg was on trebles.....closest lure to the boat...inhaled the lure and 2 sets of trebles in mouth....never going to get away.
In the days of lots of yft off Whakatane, the close in lure was always hit first and often followed by a multi strike.
Deep school of yft sees a good feed and swims up from the deep and alpha tuna goes in first to the first seen lure??
Taking a redhead to Raro for next week.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 9:22pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Paul hi,

It never ceases to amaze me the things we use for fishing.

There is no doubt that with different species which are on the bite that the most incongruous items receive attention.

It seems also accepted that the foreign item can illicit a bite from a gun shy fish.

It is the fisherman that challenges or sees or offers the alternate representative bait item that may at times receive the reward all the more sweet for the ingenuity or proffering of something out of the box.
I fish for trout and some flys are so un-natural, same as spinning - a veltic looks like nothing that ever lived in any river but catches heaps of trout.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 9:42pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Correction to my last post, Fishb8 made me realise.

I do use doubles. I use them at the rear with a single up front and vice versa.
I do this part for experiment, sometimes to balance the lure, and to reduce although slightly the danger of trebles being thrashed around the deck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 9:47pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by mangre 2 mangre 2 wrote:

Hey Mattoo,
When it is quite, we used to run a chrome spoon, shaped like a shoe horn, with a 30 ft trace and a trolling weight and ball bearing swivel in the middle.
 bit like a rapala

Re reading that Paul I realise the questions that pop into my head.

Position of hook to spoon?
And weight, in front of swivel?
And must ask, trace weight and type?
Trying to understand movement of spoon.
As potential for movement being erratic, to spinning to rhythmic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 9:48pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Spoons are very affective  with all fish, and were very popular with tuna, the drone spoon for instance.
They are light, so they need to be weighted down with a down rigger, the long trace was for shy tuna.
We caught heaps of skipjack, that you would never know were there, no surface sign at all.

We never persisted with it though, as there was more tuna to be caught in meat balls at the time. 

Cheers

Beautiful is better than ugly, Explicit is better than implicit, Simple is better than complex, Complex is better than complicated.      http://oceanmobilemap.blogspot.co.nz/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 9:51pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Aaagghh. Get it Paul, long trace....yep.

I'm picking it still fits the silver, vanishing profile.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 9:57pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

noise as well, annoying, as FB8 suggests. spawning salmon as an aexample
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 9:59pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You know Paul, I often forget the value of noise and vibration. I do know better.
It is clearly more obvious to fish than other factors.
Bloody good reminder there.
Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 10:06pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

This thing was 8 inch long, and you could of filled the boat with skippys. not bad for a home made piece of chrome shaped like a shoe horn lol

My mates at the time were saying wtf is that know, I said hold my bag of shells please, while pull this bloody skippy in
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mangre 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 1:05pm
mangre 2 View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

sharks were a problem as well, lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 1:33pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Use to run them in the tropics with great success. Mainly reef fish Spanish mackerel, barracouda whahoo etc we ran big rapalas and makrel maulers and yo zuri. Generally swapped out the treble for big doubles worked well. Imagine theyd make a heap of noise
Page  123>