Daiwa BG for Hauraki top water?

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daiwa BG for Hauraki top water?
    Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 8:36am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Folks, having read Alan Hawk's review of the Daiwa BG - he loves it, reckons it's a game changer for build quality on a budget - I'm tempted to get a 5000H model for top water to match with my Ocea Offshore 30-50lb rated stick bait rod. Planning to load the reel with 50lb braid.

Daiwa 5000 is the equivalent of an 8000 size Shimano.

Pros: very high speed - 120cm per crank (v just over 100cm with a Saragosa 8000, and 89cm with my current Stradic 8000FJ); very good line lay, smooth drag.
Cost: landed from Japan for about $200 via Plat Christmas sale.

Cons: only 10kg max drag, v 12kg on the Stradic or a Saragosa 8000.

I don't fish for big kingies offshore, mainly harbours, shorelines and inner Hauraki Gulf. 

BIG QUESTION: is 10kg max drag enough? The 6500 size BG has 15kg max, but is a lot bigger reel. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 9:25am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Reckon you'll be right with the 5000 for inshore fishing. You can always brake the spool with your hand if you need to stop a horse in close quarters. Better than putting up with the heavier / bulkier 6500 when 99% of the time the 5000 will cut it. They do look the goods, but that reduced drag compared to Saltiga/Catalina is the only draw back IMO
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 9:44am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

youll be fine  Lester,  I have been fishing 5000H Catalina as you know its got more drag but I am yet to max it out, I reckon even at 10kg is plenty
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 9:55am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

on a side note:
I'm about to re-spool a 5000 Saltiga, the old 60lb JB hollow braid I have been running is giving the odd wind knot, hence me replacing it. If you want it for the BG, for the cost of postage, chuck me a PM. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 10:40am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by DenimViper DenimViper wrote:

youll be fine  Lester,  I have been fishing 5000H Catalina as you know its got more drag but I am yet to max it out, I reckon even at 10kg is plenty

Thanks Dmitriy, I've got the order for a 5000H in with Plat, awaiting notification of the shipping cost. 

I don't want to seem like I'm second guessing, but I just don't want to rush into a purchase on the basis of a great sale price and make a mistake - end up with a reel that isn't QUITE what I need for the sake of saving a few bucks. 

I've done that before, and feel stink afterwards.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 10:45am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Structfab Structfab wrote:

Reckon you'll be right with the 5000 for inshore fishing. You can always brake the spool with your hand if you need to stop a horse in close quarters. Better than putting up with the heavier / bulkier 6500 when 99% of the time the 5000 will cut it. They do look the goods, but that reduced drag compared to Saltiga/Catalina is the only draw back IMO

Great feedback, Structfab. Appreciate your input. I've never really considered what drag I've actually got the reel wound to, just do it by feel and how a fish is pulling line.
Thanks for the kind offer re the braid, but I've got a spool of Varivas set aside for the job. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 11:23am
Platinum
Platinum

No brainer its a win/ win with that price tag and you will find use for it. retails for $340 in NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 2:28pm
Titanium
Titanium

Reality bites with two littlies and one income. $180 plus shipping is in my league, despite the desire for a wee bit more drag. 
It'll be a while before I can afford a Saltiga. Maybe for my 50th!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 3:40pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you can stretch a bit more the Daiwa blast look awesome

$300 incl shipping

http://www.digitaka.com/item.php?item=230689

Dunno how you'd go for parts etc though, so many cool reels Daiwa don't bring into NZ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 7:44pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pico Pico wrote:

If you can stretch a bit more the Daiwa blast look awesome

$300 incl shipping

http://www.digitaka.com/item.php?item=230689

Dunno how you'd go for parts etc though, so many cool reels Daiwa don't bring into NZ

Hmmm, dammit. Now I'm really unsure. Why can't the BG have 15kg drag? !

It's interesting how those sites vary on price. Digitaka has a considerably lower starting retail price, and free shipping. But the Plat gear that is on sale at the moment is quite a bit lower than Digitaka, but they charge quite a bit for shipping. Unfortunately, that size Blast isn't on sale on Plat, only the smaller ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 9:21pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

10kg is heaps Lester, hand on spool if need be I do it LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 9:40pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Will probably be fine for what you've said you're going to be doing with it. If you're in the Gulf and you're casting from a boat as opposed to landbased off the bricks you usually get a bit more time before structure becomes an issue (obviously dependant on spot/depth and size of fish though).

More drag would be great to have as you've said, but in a lot of cases it still comes down to how you fight the fish. I've lost some smaller fish - kings and GT's on PE8/10 and a daiwa 6500/stella 18k & 14k i probably shouldn't have simply because i didn't get on it quick enough in shallow water. On the other hand i've also seen a 20kg + GT landed on a little saragosa 6000 and PE4 (they also make 10kg max drag) and was in 6-7mtrs of water.

If you go decent PE4 or 5 on it atleast you know you can go hard and nothings going to be letting go. I've got PE3 on my 'light' setup on a reel that makes 13kg of drag and i can't bust it off at max drag.

Go for it i reckon.Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 10:42pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for all the input guys - I will just do it, as they say. 

I think I've been watching too many videos of Japanese guys catching 31kg kingies off the bricks at the tip of Coromandel.  

Dan, do you think I'd get in trouble if i sold my wife's "jumping" saddle to buy a Saltiga? She's got a "dressage" saddle which looks just the same, surely she won't notice one has gone?? Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2016 at 11:04pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fishy11 Fishy11 wrote:

If you go decent PE4 or 5 on it atleast you know you can go hard and nothings going to be letting go. I've got PE3 on my 'light' setup on a reel that makes 13kg of drag and i can't bust it off at max drag.

What brand of braid are you running, Fishy? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 6:39am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I dare you to sell it Lester LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 9:44am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

I dare you to sell it Lester LOL

Haha, I'd never be heard from again. At least her spend on those - which was more than 2k each second hand (must be made from rare antelope leather at that price!) - and other associated crap means I have plenty of ammo for buying new fishing gear. And we trade off her horse riding time with my fishing time. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 12:37pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

On that lighter setup reel is spooled with 30lb Daiwa J braid at the moment. From the limited amount of use i've given the stuff it seems to be fine.
Don't know what the actual breaking strain would be but would say must break a a tad higher as i can't bust it or get my FG knot to let go yanking on it with 13kg/28lbs of drag, reel stuck onto my PE8 rod and  tied to a post in the back yard.
Not saying it's the best stuff out there but is well priced for a 8 carrier braid if you're on a budget, ties a good FG knot, casts fine and seems to hold up.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 12:58pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

On other topwater setups have run PE8 powerpro(hi vis yellow & white solid), jerry brown PE4 & PE10, Suffix 832 PE1.5, PE2 & PE8, and some others from YGK and all of those have been fine, never lost a fish on those because of the actual braid letting go( on kings, GT's, coral trout etc ).

Am going to be trying the shimano ocea braid in PE5(84lb breaking strain 'supposedly') on my stella 14k for an upcoming trip to Papua New Guinea next month so will see how that stuff holds up and maybe report back on here.

Another well priced braid i've heard good things about is the Tasline 'Elite Pure' - well priced and made in NZ too. The No Boundaries Oman guys have been using it on XXXL GT's 60kg + and have nothing but good things to say about it. Also the Morning Tide Fishing guys from Aus who make youtube vids, and are good buggers and would say if it wasn't up to task seem to like it.

Any of the above mentioned would be fine, if you go something like powerpro, suffix 832 or jerry brown though i personally wouldn't go any heavier than PE3 or PE4(30 or 40lb stated breaking strain) on your setup. All of those will break 10-20lbs+ higher than stated and tend to be a lot thicker and not as supple to tie compared to something like the Daiwa J braid, Shimano Ocea, YGK, Varivas etc in the same 'stated' breaking strain.

Sorry for the long ass comment by the way. CheersSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 1:01pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah I've got 80lb J Braid on my heavy set, seems good, no wind knots thus far. Was on the reel when I bought it. Got Varivas coming from Japan Tackle for my PE5 set. 300m of SMP landed for NZ$126.....can't argue with that!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 1:26pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thats a sharp price Deane. I had JB 100lbs on my stella 10k but i kept getting wind knots, albeit I think my spool might of been overfilled. Gone to varivas since then and using  Varivas Gt plus  Pe6 on Catalina 5000H and just waiting for Varivas Catsing PE Si  Pe6 for my Stella 10k
Page  123>