89 Kiwi Killed In 1080 Drop

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 89 Kiwi Killed In 1080 Drop
    Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 5:14pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 6:22pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

site cant be reached,but yep read it else where and its a national disgrace
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 7:27am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Link fixed , thanks Paul
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 8:09am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just disgusting how our a$$hole government can let this happen,
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote widerange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 8:41am
widerange View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

department of conservation of the gravy train
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Happyangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 8:52am
Happyangler View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Utterly utterly disgraceful.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 2:19pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

shared on f/b public page hoping it will get around that nz is not so clean and green
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 2:32pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Numbers dwarfed by those killed by predation. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 5:10pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Article was first published in 2011. Kiwi mortality (89 tagged kiwi deaths) is the total mortality from ALL causes (including predation) over a five year period. Significantly, there was no 1080 dropped in the Tongariro forest between 2006 and 2011 (the survey period.)
To imply that all 89 deaths, or even some of these deaths, were due to 1080 poisoning is simply misleading.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 12:50pm
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well said KikBac ... you must have read the whole article Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 1:47pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That wasn't how I read the article. I thought the point being made was that 1080 is not working for pest control as well as DOC are claiming, and that DOC are being rather (deliberately?)  careless by not testing the dead Kiwi to see if 1080 may be an issue. CG's point being that if it isn't working that well, why aren't be looking at other, more enviro friendly methods to see if we can get a better result. 

I have seen what 1080 does to areas I used to hunt and despite DOC claiming for year after year that it didn't affect the mammal population (deer and pigs etc) you could easily tell the difference after a 1080 drop even when you weren't tripping over the carcasses. Doc eventually conceded after masses of evidence that despite their constant denials, 1080 did kill deer, pigs etc and now seem to be claiming that as an upside. Whether it is an upside or not I guess depends whether you would prefer your children to be wandering in our forests or playing video games etc. Lets face it, once the inshore fisheries are totally stuffed, what are kids going to do for the wild food gathering type activities that are a traditional part of the Kiwi lifestyle. 

I met CG with his brother and his dad Egan (ex-culler from memory) out hunting several times when CG was a boy and his dad had a serious love for the bush which I assume he instilled in the boys through the trips he took them on. This isn't some anti government rant, but the view of someone who has grown up in the bush and probably loves it much more dearly than some of the 1080 decision makers do.

DOC don't really have much credibility left when it comes to representing what 1080 really does. They are so locked into it that everything they say has to be challenged and held up for inspection until it can be proved true rather than just a distortion of the facts to support their plans. I don't know if 1080 is the best solution for pests or not, but what I do believe is that the bush is a much less lively place after a drop, and DOC are not at all bothered about using 'spin' to support their own agenda on 1080.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 3:12pm
Platinum
Platinum

What you said Tagit is also different to the claim in the title of this thread: 

these misleading claims do no party any favours.

I'm all for an alternative to 1080, however, until there is one, it is the best tool for the job whether we like it or not there is no way you can come up with a plan to trap Fiordland and still have tax payers money for health and education.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 7:50pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

An incredibly emotive topic, and the reality is neither side is likely to change their viewpoint.

Interesting read about the debate in the Herald recently.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11734355

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 10:05pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by KikBac KikBac wrote:

Article was first published in 2011. Kiwi mortality (89 tagged kiwi deaths) is the total mortality from ALL causes (including predation) over a five year period. Significantly, there was no 1080 dropped in the Tongariro forest between 2006 and 2011 (the survey period.)
To imply that all 89 deaths, or even some of these deaths, were due to 1080 poisoning is simply misleading.

You only have to set foot on a offshore bird sanctuary to see what occurs when predators and introduced species are oblitarated.

Catchalot: do you have the ability to be analytical? or just the ability to copy and paste?
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 10:49pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A forest with a few less birds and a lot more deer & pigs is actually going to attract a lot more visitors and supply a lot more use to the average Kiwi. For every bird watcher I have ever seen in the bush I have seen a 100+ hunters. Getting rid of predators is a fantastic goal, but making the bush a place that far fewer people are going to use/visit is not really a great side effect. Just because DOC say that they are going to try and return something to it's 'natural state', doesn't mean that this is the best possible result for the people of this country. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 11:10pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Southern_Jez Southern_Jez wrote:

What you said Tagit is also different to the claim in the title of this thread: 

these misleading claims do no party any favours.

I'm all for an alternative to 1080, however, until there is one, it is the best tool for the job whether we like it or not there is no way you can come up with a plan to trap Fiordland and still have tax payers money for health and education.

Well said Souther Jez. Spot on.

There was an article in the Hearald a few weeks back I think..  that busted some of the "MYTHS" about how bad the stuff is..

A lot of people just get drawn into the hysteria about 1080.. by people deliberatly making false statments. Plenty of kids are / have been indoctrinated ...  its a bit like a religion...  

And then, there are the others who are worried about the their supply of pigs and deer...

j

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 11:41pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

A forest with a few less birds and a lot more deer & pigs is actually going to attract a lot more visitors and supply a lot more use to the average Kiwi. For every bird watcher I have ever seen in the bush I have seen a 100+ hunters. Getting rid of predators is a fantastic goal, but making the bush a place that far fewer people are going to use/visit is not really a great side effect. Just because DOC say that they are going to try and return something to it's 'natural state', doesn't mean that this is the best possible result for the people of this country. 

I love the taste of wild pork and venison, but not at the expense of native species.....We see the world differently  :)

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 8:28am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Tagit Tagit wrote:

90% of visitors to Stewart Island are there to see some birdlife, it is a very small number in comparison go there to hunt whitetail (I am one of them that hunt whitetail). Over summer out of 20 people in the Bungaree Bay hut, 18 will be hoping to see kiwis and kakas, the other 2 have the permit for that hunting block. 
Fiordland is much the same, sure there will be 100's of hunters in there at any one time, but there will also be 1000s of trampers making their way over the great walks as well as the multitude of smaller walks hoping to see some native birdlife.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 8:58am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes lots of trampers and yes some might like to see interesting birdlife, but they are mainly there for the tramp not the birds. I used to do a lot of tramping with different groups as well as a lot of hunting. Everyone would love to see a rare bird, but that wasn't why they were there. I would love to see out native bird life improve as well, but is 1080 the only way to achieve this?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 5:40pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Talking to a trapper yesterday about possums and 1080.He believes the problem is the possums themselves,as soon as a few starting dying they move off in to another area,and when that area gets hit with 1080 they move back again,bit like a dog chasing its own tail and as for poisoning of kiwi.He claims not directly by kiwi eating the 1080 rather the grubs which may have the 1080 on/in them .
Page  123>