Gamefishing Updates - Manukau to Ahipara - 16/17

Topic Closed

Page  <12345 6>
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 9:53pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done ,great you got skippys vs albbies.Are you going to smoke her up ?
Also post whats in it guts if you can .
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 8:11am
BenM View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by the demon the demon wrote:

Just picked up the smoked fish which was done in the neighbours walk in smoker, looks and smells divine. We did also BBQ some of the whiter flesh last night and it was amazing, succulent and moist.

Stomach contents were two half digested tuna, difficult to tell what variety but I'm picking small skippies.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 10:01am
BenM View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by BenM BenM wrote:

Originally posted by the demon the demon wrote:

Just picked up the smoked fish which was done in the neighbours walk in smoker, looks and smells divine. We did also BBQ some of the whiter flesh last night and it was amazing, succulent and moist.

Stomach contents were two half digested tuna, difficult to tell what variety but I'm picking small skippies.

Three quarters of it, yum!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:03pm
craysee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

From the Counties Facebook page, re The Marlin money comp run on Sunday

What a great day this looks like an event that will be staying on the calendar!

Roundup....
$4600 starting pool

Split early on with the Tinnie boating a Stripie this morning, then sick dayz tagging one.

Yaazoo boated another with all bets off on who had the biggest.

Another two were landed by Kingfisher and Wetsu but rightfully called in as smaller than the others.

Snowdrop and Gillian got on the board late with a tagged Marlin each.

Sprey tagged a Marlin at approx 4.30 but was going to be touch and go whether they would make the weigh station in time!

Winners were The Tinnie in the weighed Marlin taking home $2300 for a stripey weighing 137kg no money but respectable fish for the others. Yaazoo 120kg kingfisher 99kg & Wetsu going 89kg.

The tagged section was even at one each so each team took home $760, hard luck to Sprey who missed weigh station close by 10min.

Multiple other fish hooked and lost, most notably Braden Hull ( junior angler) on barmaid played a big stripey for 6 hours the last two at sunset with thumbs only to pull the hooks just about within gaffing range.

Stories I heard but probably missed a few

Harpoon busted a leader
Outnumbered had 3 on throughout the day
Kylee broke a main line
Chasin tail lost one
Fur seal lost one at 60 on a Livie.

Cheers everyone for the day!

Heaviest Marlin team captain Chris

Tagged Marlin Gillian, Snowdrop & Sick Dayz

We went out Monday had a couple of shots and boated one late in the day, plus heard of several others

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 8:11am
BenM View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Plenty of boats racing out the heads this morning, gonna be a bumpy ride back in this afternoon for them with a massive tide rushing out against a 13 knot Sou Wester. Keep safe everyone.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 10:55am
Nathan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Spent the day out west yesterday. Plenty of tuna around but no marlin seen by us. Heard a bit of hook up banter on radio but didn't sound like any boated. One snapped hook which must have been painful - ouch. Mint conditions.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 11:37am
Sambosi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by BenM BenM wrote:

Plenty of boats racing out the heads this morning, gonna be a bumpy ride back in this afternoon for them with a massive tide rushing out against a 13 knot Sou Wester. Keep safe everyone.

Agreed decided to flag today as if it gets even a little more windy it would be a shtty ride home
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 12:08pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ynots first west coast run bagged his first for the season.
He'll be a grinning from ear to ear.
New boat, first fish.
Caught on short rigger with bp Zuker in our favourite spot.
Thinks it's his biggest fish yet but he's yet to take hands outta his pockets.
Stoked for him.
And that means I can break in the new smoker.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 12:09pm
St Mawes View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

[IMG][/IMG]
A late post, but went out from the Hokianga 25th Jan and nailed this stripy for the first of the season. 150m and the water was nearly 22 Degrees. We didn't even get the shotgun out only had 4 lures in the water when we got smashed. 12Inch Black purple doing the damage.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 7:22am
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A mate lost his virginity yesterday. Hope he doesn't get too addicted.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 8:57am
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by yknot yknot wrote:

A mate lost his virginity yesterday. Hope he doesn't get too addicted.

Nice to have crew options ,well done nice looking fish .What was in its guts ?Maybe post in Ilex the guts of it to get it back in action .
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 9:40am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Son , Son in law and I went out from Te Torro yesterday.. 1st boat at the ramp.. 1st time ever going out and have a go in a his 5.5 glass boat.. Got to the bar just as moon dropped and before sun came up...
Plan was to hit the 2m mark drop out a few lures then hot about the 80 and head back in for full tide just after 11.
Which also matched the under floor tank plus a couple totes and weather forecast
The weather forecast predicted the 1m swell period was to decrease as the day went on and the breeze increase, could be a little snotty heading back but nothing to worry about if dont play hero.
So hit the 25m , drop out the lures, put about the 6/7knt....and heaps of other (bigger) boats came pouring out one after another  heading full steam out past the 100m ( they say where they are going when check in with coast gaurd...
Hmm are we just going to waste out time and money? or at least get a little experience from this?
Well just before the territorial line, occasional birds cruising /dive, son mentions he thinks hes seen something flash past in the water.. nothing on the sounder other than odd small bait ball...Then ban 1st rod hit , then 2nd...best we have are basic gimble belts and they are on on...  1 on the helm got to keep lines straight so dont tangle the other lures out, no free hands to pull in....1st comes in a nice albacore, then mine comes in a larger one.....get lines back in, boat moving faster,  bleed and gut. But before get gutted, again both rods on...same again, 1 in the bin 2 still being 'processed and line back.....then hit again.
The around 50ms away a marlin  and not a small one...surfaces, cruises around a bit.. we change coarse.
Same again but this time mine is giving a lot of greef to get next to the boat,,, finally got the leader and one last flick and lost.. but not a skippy another sort tuna with stripes, and bigger..
While this happening another nice albacore landed, then lures over again.
And Im hit again, get to just about see colour and it took off big time, cranked the talica right up still running, but eventually turned it into a arc, but bit of a stalemate, couple small runs.. Im thinking if this is a marlin and best I have is a basic velcro shamno gimble belt... oh well see what happens.......
 Start getting a little line back, bit by bit, the comes up to the surface 10m out the back in a big arc... a massive shark on the back of the albacore ... just not letting go. He saw us made another attempt, then let go with the bottom 2/3s of a large albacore.
 Got the lure over again, didnt quite get to the 80m or over he NZ territorial limit.. missed those 2 1sts, and started trolling home .. gas and tide being the limitations.
After the shark , everything went sort of dead.... trolling with a swell behind and swell period dropping, had us between 5.5 and 10 knts at times.  Got to about the 50m mark pulled the lures...Dropped another 30L into the main tank and rode the waves back to the Sth channel.
Didnt get a marlin.. but for a 1st time out for 2 very new  newbies we where very pleased with the day.. not just what in the bin , but what from the experience.
Back home split off a few loins for the families that evening , and the rest for the smoker today....and a VERY full smoker.

Couple of observations thu
At low tide the bar was ok, but coming back in the number of small boats still out fishing around the 30/ 50m mark with rising angled chop on top of a swell rising and periods decreasing and a breeze increasing ...once that tide changes and wind / swell/ chop against tide....
 And the small boats heading out into that at full tide....conditions predicted to pick up in the arvo...
And no one reporting in .... coming back in to maybe add a comment along the lines " getting a little snotty out beyond the bar for small under 6m craft..."
 Would these small boat beheading out still?
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 10:01am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Son , Son in law and I went out from Te Torro yesterday.. 1st boat at the ramp.. 1st time ever going out and have a go in a his 5.5 glass boat.. Got to the bar just as moon dropped and before sun came up...
Plan was to hit the 2m mark drop out a few lures then hot about the 80 and head back in for full tide just after 11.
Which also matched the under floor tank plus a couple totes and weather forecast
The weather forecast predicted the 1m swell period was to decrease as the day went on and the breeze increase, could be a little snotty heading back but nothing to worry about if dont play hero.
So hit the 25m , drop out the lures, put about the 6/7knt....and heaps of other (bigger) boats came pouring out one after another  heading full steam out past the 100m ( they say where they are going when check in with coast gaurd...
Hmm are we just going to waste out time and money? or at least get a little experience from this?
Well just before the territorial line, occasional birds cruising /dive, son mentions he thinks hes seen something flash past in the water.. nothing on the sounder other than odd small bait ball...Then ban 1st rod hit , then 2nd...best we have are basic gimble belts and they are on on...  1 on the helm got to keep lines straight so dont tangle the other lures out, no free hands to pull in....1st comes in a nice albacore, then mine comes in a larger one.....get lines back in, boat moving faster,  bleed and gut. But before get gutted, again both rods on...same again, 1 in the bin 2 still being 'processed and line back.....then hit again.
The around 50ms away a marlin  and not a small one...surfaces, cruises around a bit.. we change coarse.
Same again but this time mine is giving a lot of greef to get next to the boat,,, finally got the leader and one last flick and lost.. but not a skippy another sort tuna with stripes, and bigger..
While this happening another nice albacore landed, then lures over again.
And Im hit again, get to just about see colour and it took off big time, cranked the talica right up still running, but eventually turned it into a arc, but bit of a stalemate, couple small runs.. Im thinking if this is a marlin and best I have is a basic velcro shamno gimble belt... oh well see what happens.......
 Start getting a little line back, bit by bit, the comes up to the surface 10m out the back in a big arc... a massive shark on the back of the albacore ... just not letting go. He saw us made another attempt, then let go with the bottom 2/3s of a large albacore.
 Got the lure over again, didnt quite get to the 80m or over he NZ territorial limit.. missed those 2 1sts, and started trolling home .. gas and tide being the limitations.
After the shark , everything went sort of dead.... trolling with a swell behind and swell period dropping, had us between 5.5 and 10 knts at times.  Got to about the 50m mark pulled the lures...Dropped another 30L into the main tank and rode the waves back to the Sth channel.
Didnt get a marlin.. but for a 1st time out for 2 very new  newbies we where very pleased with the day.. not just what in the bin , but what from the experience.
Back home split off a few loins for the families that evening , and the rest for the smoker today....and a VERY full smoker.

Couple of observations thu
At low tide the bar was ok, but coming back in the number of small boats still out fishing around the 30/ 50m mark with rising angled chop on top of a swell rising and periods decreasing and a breeze increasing ...once that tide changes and wind / swell/ chop against tide....
 And the small boats heading out into that at full tide....conditions predicted to pick up in the arvo...
And no one reporting in .... coming back in to maybe add a comment along the lines " getting a little snotty out beyond the bar for small under 6m craft..."
 Would these small boat beheading out still?
Glad to hear you had a good trip - enjoyed the read -liked.
Good point about tides and small boat - a big outgoing tide in afternoon, afternoon wind against tide and bar will get real snotty real quick - it has happened to me.  Best thing to do is wait for slack water if that happens and not risk it - I know a local who had to wait till dark...be careful out there it can get real bad real quick.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 10:09am
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like you had a fun and interesting day out Steps Thumbs Up
In regards to the boats still out , I'd assume thay would have waited till slack water ( about 6ish ) and the incoming tide to cross .
Was listening to CG chanel 18 last night and there were about 25-30 boats crossing back in from 6 up to 9 oclock .
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 12:30pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep harder men than I thu...couple where out before we went out just before sun rise...in small 5/6m boats
 yeah had a ball out there.
As I say , its a day on the water, good company, and whatever else is bonus.
Wastage.. the skins.. most the loins smoking nw, and the rest chopped , in the freezer ready for the next burly making day.
So next trip is east coast weather window wed/ thurs... my boat.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 5:18pm
harvest View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We had a look on saturday and went slightly south and put lures in at 65m . Found a workup of dolphins at 85m and circled round them , something hit the sg and peeled 50 meters then dropped off (rash on leader and lure so suspect stripey) went north at 115m and no sign or bait altough 20.8 temp. Came back south and found skippies and albies in 90-70m and only 20.1 temp. Came back through the south at 1.30pm and was a bit knarley.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 7:58pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We went out sat at 0730 and in 1800, Channel wasn't too bad on the early incoming tides.
Water was a degree and a half cooler than last week and we decided to start where got the last one at 130, few hookups further in on the radio so headed shallower.just started seeing some sign when the lumo d shackle in the short corner went off. Good ten seconds before the clicker stopped, didn't see anything in the water but reset and circled and ran the same line. Big stripey pops up behind the dredge and proceeds to check out every lure until he gets to the long rigger with favourite Rambo in koheru which he nails and beds north. Same lure, same position and same little Mak 10 reel as last week. I'll cut a long story short coz it broke the line 5.5 hours later.
Fish was technically caught at 30 mins and 90 mins with leader in hand but couldn't get him to stay at the boat to get the lure back. Should have put the curved tag pole in him with hindsight. He didn't like the boat and kept going to the bottom every time I reached for him. At 3 hr mark we had him close and all of a sudden he greyhounds off for over a mile with me following on a slow plane. Think that did him in and suspect he died once he went down coz we didn't see him again. Disappointed angler at not being able to release with some good pics of him. Huge effort by him and the reel has now done 9 hours fight time he n a week. Pleased with that and lucky I have a spare lure in that colour. Nice shot of him below
Stu
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 8:41pm
Sambosi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Unlucky Stu, catch up at the toots one base or small boats no doubt...if you want to sell that little lumo bonze lure like i lost last year i am listening

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 9:20pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Stu, with greatest respect I can't help thinking that with a reel more powerful than the Mak 10 and line heavier than 30lb the fight would have been over a lot quicker than 5.5 hrs. If the intention is to release the fish, duration of the fight and welfare of the fish is paramount.
I got a fish last year that I intended to release but it arrived dead at the boat (tail wrapped.) I still feel bad about it because we had taken a fish the day before. Congrats on the earlier fish by the way
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 10:31pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Fair enough I hear ya Kikbac but it has more drag than a tiagra 30, the actual breaking strain of the line is 50lb, we fought the fish with 7kg for the first two hours and then had it at 12 for the rest. More than most. The reel was not under gunned. I should have hung on to the leader when I had a chance, three times. Fish may well still be kicking he was towing us at two knots when the line parted due to angler error.
It's all about perception, if I was fishing nylon I would have to have a 20 or 30 to get enough line on. Because I fish braid I can fish much smaller reels with the same fire power and have the benefits of braid. When it took off on us we were able to follow and keep a relatively straight line on it due to the diameter of the line. Once the new rules are ratified there will be no need to have reels bigger than 20. Will be interesting to see what happens.
Feel free to come and take a look at the reel if you want, it is an absolute machine.

PS I'll be back at the one base Sambosi, won't be using my rods though. By the way the fish we got last year at toots were on the Rambo as well. I'll let you look at my other one...
Page  <12345 6>