Braid GT lures on Marine Deals?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Braid GT lures on Marine Deals?
    Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 12:20pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Calling top water gurus, what is the word on the Braid GT stick baits available through Marine Deals this week for $18?

Are they similar in performance to the others in that $45 price (original RRP supposedly) bracket - a la Orca, Ocea, Daiwa Pencils, Maria Loaded - therefore worth a go for those of us looking to stock a top water lure box for a first time? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 4:09pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Provide a link mate, and we can look....
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 4:51pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Capt Asparagus Capt Asparagus wrote:

Provide a link mate, and we can look....

Here you go, Capt A.
http://www.marine-deals.co.nz/braid-gt-swash-minnow-lure-105g

Ps. I've got some of the Doggies you like for up in the islands, just wondering if these are kind of in the same ballpark for reliability on a modest budget. I sold my second born child and bought a Carpenter Bluefish from overseas, but that'll be for later in summer when I know what I'm doing!!

PPS: judging by the fact they are now down to the last couple of particular colours, I think people are just buying up regardless.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 1:51am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Never seen those before but at that price....not much risk in taking a punt on a couple!
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 9:24am
Titanium
Titanium

I agree with lbd, at that price it'd certainly be worth getting some!
Braid generally makes pretty decent, rugged, reliable lures, so quality of build should not be an issue.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 9:48am
Titanium
Titanium

I think (just read your post, oops, lol) that these will be your normal higher speed stickbaits, like the Starwalkers from Chris Wong etc, and as such, will be perfectly serviceable lures I am sure.
Just remember however that they are a totally different action from the doggies, eh. The braid stickbaits are made for fairly fast retrieves, with wide sweeps of your rod, yeah? Do that with a doggie and they just twirl and spin uselessly in the water, a doggie you just twitch your rod tip, jerking the lure forward a metre or so, then recover the slack line, twitch and wind, twitch and wind, and it swims, ducking and darting about, beautifully, but slowly, back to the boat. Good thing about that is it stays out in tiger country longer than a fast retrieve lure.
Be good to see how you get on with te different lures,
Cheers,
Stu.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 10:25am
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the input guys.

I took a punt and bought a couple in the yellowfin tuna colour just before they sold out - they definitely look reasonably well put together for the price - have Owner trebles etc. And that colour looks very lifelike (in terms of a jack mackerel etc). 

Capt A - really appreciate the tip re the Doggies action. Sounds more like a popper blooping action, but underwater - if that makes sense? I'll try the action I use with my small Williamson Jets from the shore and see how I get on!
I've got some Starwalkers in the kahawai and koheru, which I'm going to outfit with inline singles, as per some of the older threads on here. given how long it takes me to change split rings and hooks, I'd better have everything ready to go before I get out there.

A first kingie on top water is my mission this summer, so I'll let you know how I go.

Tamure Kid
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Aramoana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 4:41pm
Aramoana View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

These look mean for the price. Has anyone tried them out yet?
Viking Predator Profish 26/11/16
Haines Hunter SF535
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stripstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 12:17pm
Stripstrike View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Haven't tried one yet, but I have seen a used one in the 'Yellowfin Tuna' pattern that has survived being almost completely destroyed by kingfish in recent weeks so it seems that they certainly get hit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 7:38pm
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Nik, that colour was one of the ones I grabbed last time they had that knock-down sale.
When is Mr Zilla going to take you out on one of his missions?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stripstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 9:28am
Stripstrike View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

When is Mr Zilla going to take you out on one of his missions?

Good point mate.

As he has recently sacrificed two Carpenter stickbaits to the fishing Gods, I suspect he will be blessed with a good season! Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 12:28pm
Titanium
Titanium

Ouch. Better to put those $200 jobbies in a shrine in the fishing cave, like the Buddhist people do, with a few other bits and pieces and an incense burner. Cheaper, anyway.

A mate of mine caught a nice typical gulf kingie on a stick bait last week, casting to a likely looking bit of country near one of the islands south of Kawau.
Using a pink Shimano Orca. First cast ever on his new Okuma set up!

And another work mate caught a really nice Northland kingie near a harbour entrance on an Orca (purple/gold). 

If the fish are on the chew, I reckon those of us with lures at the cheaper end of the market are in with a chance.