cheap reel upgrade

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buzzliteyear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cheap reel upgrade
    Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 7:15pm
Buzzliteyear View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello,
        I looking around if there is a better reel then the Shimano Hyperloop 4000 FB but as Cheap

it will be fitted to a usg-sp66a 6'6" 4-8 kg Spin Ugly Stik

For a cheap reel it seems ok, the spool is a bit wobbly

I dont mind having to stripe reel down often but looking for something a little stronger

the 4000FB is 30 bucks

Shimano in Action in the Kaipara

https://youtu.be/qGuAna9BeH0

Cheers
Brett

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 8:19pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

personally I wouldnt buy a new reel in that price range simply because you will get what you pay for in the end. I would look 2nd hand and bide my time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buzzliteyear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 8:59pm
Bronze
Bronze

I know what you mean as my number one reel is a penn Spinfisher SSV 4500 you can see in the video

Normal fishing is done in the kaipara shallows around 3-5 meters

Im in no hurry and dont mind second hand

Any idea of brands around the 3-4000 size to keep a eye out for ?

Cheers
Brett
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 6:09am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Buzz, reels in that price range will all be of similar quality. Shimano, Penn and Diawa all make a great range of reels. As a guide have a look at the price of new reels to gauge their quality and when you see something come up secondhand in your price range then snaffle it up.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buzzliteyear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 10:10am
Bronze
Bronze

thanks I guess I was looking for some super duper cheapo reel copy that if serviced more often than normal might last a good time and one a little stronger than the 4000FB

So stay away from the no name reels ?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1188089634
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 10:37am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sometimes the no name stuff is as good, or even better, than branded stuff when you are looking at low priced reels.  But the thing is you really need to be able to pick it up and feel what its like.  Some cheap gear is OK, but some is just cheap and nasty. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 10:57am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Think all newbies go thru this budget thing and most fall foul.
 Something I was told before buying a few yrs back...

Cheap reels/ rods under approx $120 each. will eventually become inadequate, be it disappoint in performance or break/ fail after a couple nice fish... and that will be on a personal best fish lost.
Moving up into the $150 / $180 range rod or reel makes a big difference for the general fisherman...
Also purchasing a combo will bring the price down below the $200.. if keep an eye out for specials.
 My 1st soft bait/ stray line  was a Okuma coranda 40a on a okuma xfactor 6/ 8 kg rod.. which got upgraded later to a  obsolete okuma Briad Concept picked up at a closing down sale...big change.
Broke the tip in the truck, then replaced that with an okuma nanomatrix...another very nice 'budget' rod, brought on special.

As time went on got sick of changing rigs  stray / softbait... ex wifes Shamano 4000 oc.. bit stiffer in the bale than the okuma, and put that on the spare xfactor.

Both these combos are still my go to rigs
 For budget heavier rods have a  shamano charter special brought on special, on a heavier Mainier rod brought near new, cheap 2nd hand .
 And a Shamno 6000oc  brought  on a budget rod that was given to me

Then there are the wifes rods... again an okuma 40a on a xfactor....she did not like the shamano 4000 oc .. which I inherited above.....and a shamano 6000 oc on a ladies shamano lipstick rod

Son has an okuma stray line/ soft bait  think a okuma revenger... (under $100) on a okuma nanomatrix also, and a shamno 6000oc on a killwell rod.

We also have a spin shamano catalina rod...this and a elcheapo reel has been relegated to a 'geust rig'

All of the above are regularly used, cleaned, lubed after every trip.. pulled some nice fish in over the last 4 or so yrs.

If I was to have to go thru the whole exercise from scratch as a newbie again...on limited budgets again...I would have followed the advice I was given... again and done the same thing.
except , not the okuma revenger, and the catalina rod, and wish the nano matrix was around at the time and at the special price have picked them up for  since last xmas

OK  bit more than could 'afford' at the time, but certainly going on others who dont go down that route, spent FAR LESS in the long run.
Watch outlets like Smart Marine, Bunsco, Hunt and Fish, marine deals , and your local shops who often will meet the specials prices...

2nd hand.. one just doesnt know how well they have been looked after, if just cleaned up , re greased for sale etc.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 11:15am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

pmd

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 5:40pm
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

we have shimano siennas at work on special at the mo for $39.99.  way better reel than an FB
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buzzliteyear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 10:10am
Bronze
Bronze

thanks kevin.S

I agree only if you could pick it up a wiggle all the parts to get a feel of them

Steps:
thanks for the reply

Dont get my wrong I love my 4500 Spinfisher and purchased it when I had some spare coin

But was looking for a cheapo reel that my daughter of friends may not look after as much as you would yourself

if i was going to buy a 100 dollar reel id fork out another 59 bucks and get the same again as i like the water proof seals feature of the penn

but the goal is to research reels around the 4000FB price tag or there about

@ taurangatroutmaster - that reel looks good

Cheers
Brett
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 5:47pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fair enough if it's a spare. 

But I wish I could get back all the money I 'saved' buying cheap gear. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 7:45am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

But was looking for a cheapo reel that my daughter of friends may not look after as much as you would yourself

Puts a very different aspect on things..
'Guest rig' if they top load, drop over board, drag/ bait runner on too hard in the holder and big fish...
basically a rig if broken doesnt break the bank, yet if basically looked after will last well after  when you upgrade your own gear, relegate the old to 'guest' and then takes up space in the rod rack you need......

One of those budget rigs one sees in the front entrance of Hunting and fishing......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 10:15am
Platinum
Platinum

Go to smart marine if you want a sienna at that price. limited time only though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 11:17am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Something I do have/ go for .. a little more bucks for the bang..
going to a bait runner...
Dont know the age of your daughter, but we take the grandchildren out, have been catching fish since about 3... and there is friends dads, who at mid to late 80s catching their 1st decent sized fish.... and the wife's girl friends and 1st time guys, never fished.
Its hard to fish and watch gear, and to make sure when they drop the rod in the holder the main drag is backed off...or have turned the drag up on the previous fish, get a big hit and the rods gone out of their hands...

Thats where the bait runner  has and dose, earns its keep...

Its also good to use,even teach ppl when stray linning, and soft baiting

just a  few thoughts for consideration

I have no worries abut putting 3/ 4 yr old grandchildren on our good soft bait , strayline rigs with bait runners.
He hooks up a nice fish, look up at me, I just say " thats grand dads good rod, dont let it go, now turn the handle"
Then basically leave him to it... maybe adjust the drag a little. good to go....
 And the best...when they get that fish next to the boat and they KNOW they have done it all by themselves, know one has touched the rod other than them.... its all in the smile and sense of real achievement in the eyes...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buzzliteyear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 11:34pm
Bronze
Bronze

thanks taurangatroutmaster,I found my neighbor had two of them a had a good run so far

Steps: greats story, shes is 9 years old,

found this link with a guy using the shimano sienna

if its true its Awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOx3Kn1bX1c

Cheers
Brett
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 5:31pm
Platinum
Platinum

looks true to me, thats the old model sienna though. its the new one we have
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Forest grump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 6:14pm
Forest grump View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I am a lot like yourself we just dont do enough fishing to warrant big flash expensive gear that sits around for the bulk of the year or untill the phone rings in which case im ther within minutes.

in terms of cheap reels it all depends what price bracket where talking. Be it under $150 or over. i personally use a penn cv8000 reel on my surf casting rod and although i have only caught barley legal snapper and the odd sting ray on this it was much like or even better than your hyperloop 4000.

i also have two okuma overhead reels but if my usage and income was higher i would possibly look at finn nor tackle. some very nice products here and the best drags in the industry.

im not trying to sell you a rod and reel here but you do get what you pay for and i myself have lost fish due to cheap reels failing under load or pre tied ledger rigs falling to bits on you. 

it really does depend on your budget. marine deals or burnsco as well as smart marine are some you could try. i know marine deals sometimes have some cheap finn nor reels come through for $100. I myself will buy one in the next few weeks and let you know how it all goes.

i wouldn't bother with the hyper4000 as they are designed to fill a gap in the supply chain. as having done a course in distribution a supplier will rather supply a cheap product than look bad and not supply anything and lose clientele.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buzzliteyear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 10:03pm
Bronze
Bronze

Big thanks to Kris from Smart Marine for hooking me up with the shimano sienna

the build quality does look and feel better then the hyperloop,

for 39 bucks reduced from 69 it is a good upgrade standby reel

cheers
Brett