Back Home To The Big Snaps! Mokau.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (12) Likes(12)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back Home To The Big Snaps! Mokau.....
    Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 6:40am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi All, arrived back from Canada Monday night Zonked!got a glimse of the sea just before dark. Flat as a pancake! that was it fishing the next morning, here we go!Big smile Had great time in Canada, went out on one charter boat for a day trip from Victoria, Vancouver Island Helibut fish'n, but none caught from our boat and the other charters from the area on the dayCry Got to see Humpback Whales up close, those ugly big Elephant Seals going hard smashing each other fighting for a female a quarter of there size to Squash! and a couple of killer Whales. Will post a few Shots when iv'e downloaded all Photo's from hard drive. I awoke early Tuesday morn, 4 ish. Couldn't sleep so got up and wasn't long before the fuzzy jet lagged brain got into Fish'n ModeLOL By Daybreak well ready so hit the beach. One of those Dream launches no waves not a drop of water on me! Out to me good close in spot. Out going tide good current running, set up the straylines and Sabiki. Within five minutes a good run, landed nice five odd kg Snap. Had eight fillets of frozen Kahawai with me and a packet of Pillies. At the half hour mark the Bigger Snaps starting Smashing me Baits! Straight away into 20 lb fish, and 15 lb ders. Went down to one rod big bait, open bail arm drifting down with current then bang a big Snap would grab it. Lock over bail arm and start playing!Big smile Sabiki caught no bait and ran out in two hours of Mayhem! In that time caught and kept five goodies, best a 10.9 kg, and let 15 odd go. Many were around the 20 lb mark and bigger. I'm chasing alot bigger fish than those,if i had me big Kahawai head Baits or big Gurnhards, Could of nailed one, as they would of definately been there. Have some definate Guys from Forum coming shortly for there first shot at big Snaps here and can't wait to see there reactions and excitement if i can put them on a session like todays. Took couple of shots of Snaps i kept lying across front of boat. One Shows how close to shore i get E'm. Cheers......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 8:01am
The cook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Stunning as ever Geoff, we have it good up here in the Bay of Islands but nothing like as consistent as you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 10:27am
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Spectacular!! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 10:39am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting that you had to head home to score fish - great report Geoff (liked), down your way in mid November so lets see what weather throws up, great fishing as always. 
Getting interested in idea fishing round corner of Manukau heads given calm conditions and no need to go over bar - I am sure straylines would work a treat if I can keep Kahawai away! 
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tonga-tui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 12:08pm
tonga-tui View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No rest for the wicked ae nice one geoff pitty about no halibut
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sole M8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 5:09pm
Sole M8 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Clap
Cry
Censored
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 5:34pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The cook The cook wrote:

Stunning as ever Geoff, we have it good up here in the Bay of Islands but nothing like as consistent as you.
Thanks The cook, Mokau's got to be up there as one of NZ's best Big Snapper fishing spots for sure......Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 5:34pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nicely done on the Naki snaps Geoff, will look forward to the Canada picsClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 5:39pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Interesting that you had to head home to score fish - great report Geoff (liked), down your way in mid November so lets see what weather throws up, great fishing as always. 
Getting interested in idea fishing round corner of Manukau heads given calm conditions and no need to go over bar - I am sure straylines would work a treat if I can keep Kahawai away! 
Touch base closer to when ya might come down John, Bring your Mac 360. Take both out with a few mates as wellBig smile Cheers....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 6:09pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mean Approve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 7:31pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Epic line up Geoff, shame no gurnhard to bait up aye
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 8:32pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

Touch base closer to when ya might come down John, Bring your Mac 360. Take both out with a few mates as wellBig smile Cheers....
Will keep an eye on swell and weather Geoff - might get a window...
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 8:34pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds like a great trip away Geoff. Good on ya. And on getting back ,what a great catch,which proves Jetlag dosent effect fishing abilityLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 8:38pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paihia panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 7:47pm
paihia panther View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

one of our 15pounders we caught friday kite fishing of kariotahi had a whole gurnard in its guts and the bigger one woofed down a mullet head and kahawai head on back hook then got caught on small bit of mullet on a standard trace they are hungry at moment
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote aquacat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 8:11pm
aquacat View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 12:53pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Very nice catch.
I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT