long rods on boats

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: long rods on boats
    Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 7:04pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So, I was watching big angry fish and wondering about those 10' rods. I can see the advantage of a longer rod when casting, but most of the time they were dropping lures over the side. What advantage does a 10' rod have over the more usual 5' or so rod when dropping a lure?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 7:31pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

None. Pain in the ass actually, as it makes landing fish tricky, the big risk is point loading your rod trying to bring a fish in close. Using an 8ft popper rod can be tricky enough at times, especially in a rush and under pressure from a decent fish.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 8:13pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah, bang on Capt A. I haven't seen anyone recommend a rod that long for light lure fishing in a boat. Mark Kitteridge reckons 8ft is the best for soft baiting, but that's as long as I've seen mentioned. I would bet they certainly aren't designed for lobbing huge chunks of skippy head/kahawai etc for snapper etc. like the boys were doing tonight. And they certainly looked way out-gunned jigging for kingies earlier on. Can't see how that's good for either party.
Not sure what the point of that was, other than marketing a new Daiwa product.

The Aussies tend to go in for a lot of lure fishing from shore, ditto the Japanese. And the Brits and Irish do sea bass fishing from shore with what looks like heavy soft bait gear, and the Japanese high end stuff is popular over in the UK. All of those markets are strong in long (9-10') rods in the softbaiting/light lure spin class. i could have understood if they tried lure fishing off the rocks tonight. But not boat fishing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 8:24pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just diawa trying to sell us all new fishing rods for this season, there's always a new type of rod every year for us to spend our money on. I've used a 7 foot SB rod for years, fished with a 8 foot for a while but didn't find any improvement in strike rate so went back to the old 7 footer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shilo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 8:45pm
Shilo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They practise "Up tide" fishing from charter boats in the UK which requires the use of long rods for casting distance.  But this is for bait fishing with heavy weights not lures.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 9:06pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Put a bend on a lovely 8ft3" Saltiga stickbait rod yesterday. My only issue is fishing from a kayak would make it just about impossible to do. LOL 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 9:28am
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've noticed that Nathan and Milan really overload their gear.  Looks like 50lb test on max 30lb sets.  Almost couldn't watch the casting with those 10' rods yesterday as well as the high sticking to get the caught fish alongside the boat.  I really like watching the 50 and 80lb gear put to the test but can't imagine this lighter gear standing up to the same punishment for long.  It's OK for those who get sponsored product that is replaced every year.  Problem I see is that Joe public now goes and buys 3000 and 4000 size reels and light 10' poles spools them up with 50lb braid then expects the manufacturer to replace/repair under warranty when the inevitable happens.  Can't see Daiwa coming out looking good with this at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 9:45am
Titanium
Titanium

Judging by reports of their switcheroo on sponsors, it won't be Daiwa's problem for long - only a handful of episodes to go in this series.

It'll be interesting to hear Milan explains away his new favourite overhead set up etc, as he often references how the classic brown VIP870 and SL30 has been his constant companion for years - and he's whacked over plenty of big snaps and kingies on that combo in the first four or so series.
I guess it's just commercial reality for them, but it won't be particularly believable.
Just like it'd didn't seem too convincing when the Fishing & Adventure boys were singing the praises of their Fin Nor Troppos or whatever.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 9:47am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

9' ft + rods are ideally designed for shore jigging from the bricks. Very effective method and in Japan is quite popular. My favourite jigs for this kind of fishing is usuing blue blue 20 - 30 gm microjigs but I just use standard softbait rod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 9:55am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah they looked real awkard bringing the fish in over the side... and lost a couple....long rod easy to  bounce the tension on the hook dropping the hook out.
50Lb braid on light gear... damn what happens if hook something big.
Last week we where out 34 lb on the 4000 nano soft bait rig, and quickly clipped the soft bait to clip on the bottom of the braid.. slow drift and caught on something big... hugs octopus, ray, kelp attached to a big rock dragging along the bottom.
With rod pointed down holding the reel...nothing had any sign of giving. Vinnie backed the boat up and a long line boup popped up...Vinnie Dragged that over the side and 45m of rope... then came the nylon line.. 40 sections with hooks.
 Looked like had only been in the water 5 or 7 days.
Then the last long line hook was hooked into a boat rod with charter special that had been down there for a very long time.
If all that had not come up, hooked something real solid would have lost a good 50m of braid , and thats with backing the boat up. 
Why 50lb braid on light gear thu? 34 is heavy and only using that to use it up.
 Charter Special had been down so long the internals had corroded , expanded and blown the casing open.
Long line had no identification on.. or and sign ever had had.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (7) Likes(7)   Quote Milan Radonich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 10:23am
Milan Radonich View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Understand the comments from the guys, we asked Daiwa for the rods as they use them for salmon fishing down the South Island, I have always fished long rods when not filming, love fishing long rods from Boats, had a custom 9' rod made years ago, that I still have that was an incredible rod for pulling big snapper out of the kelp. We have fished those long rods for a full season, and to be honest I love them, almost all the shows this year you will see them rigged up. Yes it is different and not for every body, but Daiwa wanted us to fish gear we were happy with and we wanted to try something different, we fish heavy braid as we don't want to loose fish, and why not fish 50 pound when it knots better and is almost the same thickness as 30lb, we never broke one and they take the abuse we dish up, they might not be a massive seller for Daiwa, but they are amazing to fish with. Each to there own, easy to land fish with, if you don't wind the fish to the tip, and very nice for catching big fish on, as the rod does so much of the work.
Personally I would fish a longer rod over a shorter rod any day, thats just me, all we have been doing is showing people options, and I have broken more short spin rods in my time than long ones. The reason I don't like short rods is you can't move around the boat easy with a short rod, with a long rod you don't get reefed on the boat, all our big kings when live baiting and jigging for that matter has been achieved on 8 foot Monster mesh rods, jigging on long rods is harder, but I prefer fighting fish on long rods over short rods, to be honest for me there is nothing worse than fighting a fish on a short jig rod, with a gimble especially fishing braid, but thats just me, Its nice that everybody has a different way of fishing, thats what makes fishing so cool, and we like fishing the gear we like, always keen to try new stuff.
Thanks Milan Radonich 
Big Angry Fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 10:25am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's good, I thought I was missing something obvious.  Seems everyone else was thinking the same as me.  Not sure about trying to sell them, I looked on the Top Catch web site and they don't even seem to have them available.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polar_Kiwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 10:39am
Polar_Kiwis View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good answer. You guys do more fishing than me... Keep up the awesome shows.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 11:12am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Indeed, best shows on TV at this time. Billy Ho had a long long rod a jap client gave him that he loved (12ft I think), certainly can lift a fishes head easily with them, but still is a pain in the butt when the fish gets boatside I reckon. Each their own as you say.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 11:20am
Titanium
Titanium

Good on you for taking the time to answer us critics, Milan. Hearing from the horse's mouth, so to speak, is useful. I think one thing all of the thread posters can agree on is that they watch your show because it's great viewing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 11:43am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Milan for the reply
penny dropped on a couple things.
1/ u guys are in a centre console, not a cabin boat with bimmini up and/ or rocket launchers. So heaps of 'head room' and walk around room.. and to wave a long stick around end to end side to side with no issues.
2/ Your rocket launcher is more a ground mortar launcher.. rods much  lower , and longer rods to reach over.

All that is a boat designed for easy use long rods...hell even a long surf caster would work.

Yes I like longer rods, like how they are designed to absorb a lot of energy, and often thought would be nice to have more length/ curve in our bigger 15/ 20 kg rods.. or afford such a thing.
Questions.
1/ I may have missed in the program thu, your leader (tied with a "real real real REAL good knot"  what weight is that? what do you use?
2/what are these long rods rated at? including casting weight?

love the show...to be honest all the shows, they all give different perspectives in their own way.
Just wish that when you (all shows) are showing us something, baiting a hook tying something on...the camera man is  centred on the subject stays there a little longer...or think a shot of you guys talking is more important.
Did catch the quick frame of the big round what I thought as 'steak baits'.. and the logic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote waynorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 12:53pm
waynorth View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm guessing those rods must have plenty of glass in them ? They seemed to happily fold away like noodle rods - only used one once, and you could almost tie a knot in it.

Steps - I think Nathan had just referred to his preference for the FG knot, where the G stands for Good and the F stands for Really Really Really... 
treat fish like fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 7:59pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lure fishing is all about balance, those long rods would cast 50 pound braid better than a 7ft soft bait rod would.
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 10:56pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Must get my 8' BBE OH rod out of the garage 😉

Caught some good fish on that, just tricky boating them solo.....great casting distance for an OH set though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Space Invader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 8:23am
Space Invader View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I take an old surf caster out for a bit of fun & casting away from the boat or towards the rocks. 
It's a 2 piece so storage isn't a problem. Looks pretty funny in the rocket launcher fully assembled. 
Page  12>