Fiordland Bluefin Tuna

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Andy St.Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fiordland Bluefin Tuna
    Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 4:07pm
Andy St.Moritz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

For those that haven’t seen the old gone fishin’ episodes coming up on YouTube I strongly suggest you have a look at them, they are great.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVMYBzF_Mw0WxJilSDbUpKg

But one I haven’t seen before and got quite excited by was the Fiordland Bluefin tuna episodes. Watching the episodes the fishery sounds very similar to Tasmania.

Searching the work-up forum I couldn’t find anything about Bluefin tuna in Fiordland.

Does anyone know what time of year they are down there?(Graeme Sinclair mentioned Dec to April, very similar to Tasmania)

All southern, do they get jumbo’s (100kg +)?

Fiordland is a big stretch of coast, is there any particular area where they are concentrated?

How many shots do you get a day?

Over the last very years in Tasmania they have had a huge increase in the number of tuna they are catching there, it could very well be the same bio-mass.

Anything unique with the fishery? (In Tasmania they have a huge problem with seals eating the Bluefin while they are on they line)

Two tuna episodes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf9XUASrT1g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DijTTA4QyV4

ps. Also watch the old STRIKER episodes.

Please tell me more!

There is only one kind of day I like to go fishing on.........

........any day ending with a y
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 7:28pm
Bakes View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We did a charter trip in dusky sound earlier this year. The skipper said they had caught about a dozen over the summer. They didn't target them as such just towed lures when they saw them. Most were taken inside the sounds. There's a few clips on YouTube of rec anglers catching them too.
I love catching fish. But fishing isn't always about catching.