Big angry fish

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 11:34am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

TK, the squid are shallow, often in the quiet weedy bays. Quite a few around the wharves at night too. 

I could make up a squid fly but then I'd probably end up with a snapper or kingfish crunching it. Easier to have a squid rod handy and do a tease and switch. The squid can be a menace if they're constantly on the fly and stopping fish from getting to it so they need to be taken out of the water. No great hardship there. We eat a lot of squid Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 2:17pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gotta love calamari. i've just given squid jigging a go down around Auckland and got some nice ones. Mainly a night time thing, though. I think the islands would have decent daytime fishing, in more quiet areas.
I was strayline bait fishing off the rocks down by Matapouri one Labour weekend and every bait was being sucked on by big squid, right up to the edge of the rocks before letting go. I was totally oblivious about squid jigging in those days, or it would have been the go.

Do you think you would be just as successful if you just squid jigged the area (if you were actually interested in doing that) or is the involvement and attraction of your flies the key?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 2:52pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Plenty to be caught just squid jigging, but I find fishing a fly in combo gives you an extra edge. There have been many times when they've come in on the fly but not on the jig.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 3:40pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fascinating. Appreciate the responses, Craig. I might give that a go (I've just got some 'super shallow' squid jigs on the way from Japan with the aim of fishing some weedy bays I've seen on Google earth - the super shallow sink about three times slower than the 'basic' jigs in the same size, apparently).

Your snapper marabou/rabbit pattern the one they like the most?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 3:48pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yes, any medium sized white/yellow/pink fly with plenty of natural fibres and lots of natural movement.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 7:12pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ah I used to tie up squid flys (fly's for catching squid that is) years ago.  When I lived in Perth I lived less than 100m from the beach.   A nice sheltered spot in behind a reef where squid would always show up.   I used to go down with a squid jig and spin rod all the time then i though "I bet I can do this on fly" 

So i would buy the largest lightweight treble hooks I could and whip a pair to a short length of stout multi strand wire to make up a base for tying a fly on.   Be careful to not overdress the fly as they get very heavy to cast real quick!   

Il go look through my old kit now and see if i cant find one.  If so il post a photo. 

Been away for a long weekend at the canals.   No trout only small McKenzie country dolphins Tongue  (freshwater variant of the hectors LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flygimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 4:10pm
flygimp View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Is that really you Matt? Or is this a piss-take...

Pure - fly fishing:

The purists among dry-fly fishermen will not under any circumstances cast except over rising fish, and prefer to remain idle the entire day rather than attempt to persuade the wary inhabitants of the stream to rise at an artificial fly, unless they have previously seen a natural one taken in the same position.

— From Dry-Fly Fishing..., F. M Halford.

And yes it is a pleasure to fish the south England chalk streams such as the Itchen - upstream dry-fly only, in the presence of Izaak Walton's Ghost and the company of dead man's shoes... and smile at the rhetoric that is 'pure-flyfishing'... in it's true historical context...

So I think your perception of pure-flyfishing is a bit like your own fly-fishing skills and perceptions when I first met you in the dim-dark ages of only 5 years ago - innocent, a little wayward and slightly reckless. While throwing burley chunks around you like santa throwing feckin minties at the Christmas parade...

So politely after meeting Nik on that very spot last easter with his team and drone camera... I now understand his low threashold for all things commercial in the saltwater realm of New Zealand.

And... as to the sustainability of the fishery... keep talking up the one northern harbour... means I can fish the 2 below it - unmolested and free of the self pontificating bull-**** painted on here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote flygimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 5:21pm
flygimp View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

edited.Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 7:50am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

H'mm Ermm

Brent, both these posts read a bit like 'a bad day at the office'. I was going to delete some of it - they contain personal attacks which immediately disqualifies them. Also, I really can't be bothered moderating any of the crap that might flow from them. However, I will leave them for now. You are welcome to edit them yourself if you wish.

Should anyone else have any problem with these posts please PM me.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flygimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 8:01am
flygimp View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

M8 I don't mind amending slightly but been honest anything I've said is right on the mark. So many guys on here talk a big game... especially in the commercial saltwater scene.

I have said nothing that you wouldn't say at the pub or on a boat fishing with a m8s, or in person... if I was talking half the bollox on here about 'pure-fly fishing' I really hope one of my m8's would tell me to wind my neck in...Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 8:12am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Agree - but printed posts are a little different to casual conversation. As said - there is marginal elements to those posts, but I'll leave them for now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 5:41pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Brad!

Oi  Brad!

Were are ya?

Comon man,

Look what you started.
Love this thread.
Its the gift that just keeps on giving.LOLHeartHeartHeart

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Page  <123