TLD 30 drag

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TLD 30 drag
    Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 7:10pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hopefully right forum - normally on Gamefish one.
I have a mate with 2 new TLD 30s. hardly used. The drag locks up on them as soon as it comes on. Instead of being progressive to the first stop, it comes up hard as soon as it comes on. I have a TLD 30 that I've used for years. Always progressive. If you pull the drag apart and re set drag it is fine. Til you go to use it again. oddly, there is another guy down road with same issue. He doesn't use the reels anymore.
Any idea? Spooled with 24kg mono, drag set at 8kg (at first stop).
Thanks
Alan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 8:09pm
Rainbow Rocker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Do you mean when pushing the drag from free spool towards strike but say only quarter of the way the drag pressure is basically what it should be at strike?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 8:38am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, more or less. In free spool everything as normal. As soon as you go to set like a half drag for strike, like half way to first stop, it locks up tight, as soon as you get some drag on. You have to back it off fractions of a mm to get any softer drag action. Weird.
Thanks
Alan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 8:48am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It is like the lever comes up rock solid after a couple of mm of movement and you must be on something like sunset drag by then. There is no progression in the lever movement. And you should only have 1 -2 kg of drag at the point and you have something like max drag.
Thanks
Alan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 8:59am
Bronze
Bronze

What i noticed on the old tld 50's i could put out a livebait i:e  big Kahawai, set the drag with just enough pressure so the Kahawai could not pull out nylon but if a Kingi grabbed it the the drag was still reasonably light so it could still pull out nylon easily. But with the new ones the drags basically go straight up to strike pressure once engaged. When trolling Marlin lures you could not really set a light drag it basically just went to strike pressure once you engaged the lever drag. I had a bit of a look once and noticed the older ones had more of a tapered angle on this cam thingy under or inside the lever. Always wondered why they changed it. Mine never locked up though, just couldn't set a light drag as such. Sorry for the long winded post.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 9:33am
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The preload belleville washers should be orientated () () This will give a progressive drag increase along the entire drag quadrant. If these washers are orientated (( )) will produce a higher maximum drag output but the drag will increase very abruptly, as you describe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 1:46pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thats pretty much the problem my mate has. These are less than a yr old. Mine is many years old and works beautifully. But it does seem inconsistent. If we pull the drag adjust system apart and re assemble, when testing and setting drag it seems fine. But next time you go to use it, it locks up again. Only when you back the drag knob right off, does it have a progressive feel to it. It is like it is suddenly finding too much drag, straight after setting it at 8kg. Not much fun to use like that. Like a hair trigger.
Thanks
Alan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 5:02pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've got the same problem... I've got two of my reels ( tld50) at swordfish Steve's getting a service.... the old series 1 is nice and progressive and the new one goes to 4kg straight away...anyway he's looking at it for me...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 5:50pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for that. I was wondering if I was nuts. Can you keep us posted, if Steve doesn't post on it.
Regards from sunny/windy Vanuatu (at the moment).
Alan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 6:06pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You would have to think Shimano has a production problem. They are not supposed to work like this.
I wonder if they will fess up?
Alan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 9:18pm
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah my two old 50s work fine as i think they should. Two new 50s no good, i think my two new 30s are the same also, find it quite annoying at times. I am pretty sure i looked at it and noticed a more abrupt angle in this cam thingy under the actual lever for the lever drag.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 7:28am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe those drag cams can be swapped out for the old version. Hopefully Steve can get to the bottom of it. Otherwise I will contact Shimano when I am back in NZ in couple of weeks. Need some answers for this. Must be heaps of reels affected.
Thanks
Alan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 7:31am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One thing that would prove your theory on the drag cams would be to swap them over from old reel to new and vice versa. See if the problem transfers to the old reel. That would nail it.
Alan 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 7:40am
Bronze
Bronze

Unfortunately all my fishing gear got stolen a couple of months ago so can't swap out, sorry.Might have to buy some older second hand ones if i want them to work properly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 8:31am
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would say your lever shaft bidy is damaged or warped mate, look under neath the tension dial cap - are the cam profiles shiny worn or is the inside rounded out? 
Hard to say with out seeing your reel but if that is the case it only happens if the tension dial has been adjusted while in gear or has been maxed out then forced into gear
I'll act my age when im 69
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 9:01am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bummer. Sorry to hear that. Must hurt. A mate just lost all his about 10 days ago too. *******.
Alan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 6:57pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks guys. Will check those specifics now we got something to work on. The reels in question have hardly been used - maybe a dozen times from new. The guy down the road with same problem is a game fish charter operator. So I suspect KikBac may be close to the mark. May be an assembly problem.
I am not sure I understand the () () vs (()) bit, but I will have a close look and hopefully it becomes clear. But this bit definitely fits the picture. I know for sure my mates reels had never had the drag mechanism apart. He knows nothing about these things and didn't even know he had an issue til I pointed it out when I was on his boat one day. So if they are wrong, they came from the factory like that.
Thanks
Alan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 7:28pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Alan, the preload washers are parts 40A as per attached schematic:
http://www.shimanofishing.co.nz/images/schematic/TRTLD23%20-%20TLD-30IIA3.pdf
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 9:12pm
Bronze
Bronze

My reels were brand new never been used, just set the drags and wanted to see what drag pressure was quarter and half way to strike, was basically the same as all the way, definitely not light.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 9:29pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They always used a dry stack for the drag washers in the TLD's........but i have had a tld 15/20(2 speed)...Tld 25 ....TLD 30 (2 speed) and TLD 50 2 speed..........the drags all kicked in hard but jeff Murray did a little mod to make it more gentle(which was perfect for live baiting) and he lubes the drag washers as well(teflon).......They are all the older models(made in japan).......Take your reel to him....he used to work for shimano.....never had any dramas with any of my tlds....He will know whats going on.
what Nomis said.... whenever you adjust that small  pre drag setting.......you always backed the drag right off before turning that dial a ?.......it stresses that in the manual....i bet a few people have done that.....just turning that small dial when the drag is up......Nomis gives a good reason not to do it....Drag completely off.......then adjust drag range from that small dial...........hopefully you or your mate didnt do thatWink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Page  123 4>