TLD 30 drag

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 8:19am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My interpretation of the schematic is definitely that the washers should be ()(). In your first picture they most certainly aren't as there are no gaps in the stack - they could be (()) or (((( or ())) or any combination that results in all the edges stacked. It's hard to tell from the pictures whether it's currently correct or not.
You can get that circlip back on there with the washer in place, you just have to compress the bellevilles a little bit. Whatever you do DON'T attempt this by pressing on the outer race of the spool bearing, you may damage it.
Without that washer in there you are reducing your maximum possible drag pressure.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 6:28pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK, thanks. Yes, I am quite certain the pre load washer stack was wrong.I have kept the washer, so if we are short of drag, we can put it back in.
Thanks
Regards
Alan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 6:34pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think what I had was (()), because I flipped one of each of the pairs. When I did that I could see a slight gap between each pair down in the center (ie at the interface of the spindle hole). Then I put the two pairs together as ()(), so I am reasonably confident it is correct now.
Regards
Alan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Plonker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 10:29am
Plonker View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

[TUBE]sPyT49dzGCQ[/TU

LOLLOLLOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 5:31am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK guys, I spoke too soon. After reassembling the washers from (()) to ()() the drag felt great. Did both reels. Both were originally (()), so I wonder if Shimano actually intended them like that. Put the reels away for a few days, drags off. Went fishing with them y/day - same problem. Engage drag at minimum and you lock on to 50% or more drag.
They behaved like this before flipping the washers - if you let the tension knob off and pulled the drag cam out, reassemble, and they came right. Til you used them next time.
Boohoo. Any other suggestions?
Regards
Alan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 9:07am
Rainbow Rocker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I went into the shop when mine didn't work properly and he tried some other new ones and they were the same as mine. I think i had the same problem as you. I would set my drag at say 6kg on strike and it would work fine at strike i:e put into free spool push up to strike and it was always 6kg but i could never get it to be set at a light drag as such i:e when towing lures or live baitng with a Kahawai once in gear the load came on suddenly.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 4:31pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alan PM swordfishsteve a link to this page and he will help you sort it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 5:04pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rainbow Rocker Rainbow Rocker wrote:

I went into the shop when mine didn't work properly and he tried some other new ones and they were the same as mine. I think i had the same problem as you. I would set my drag at say 6kg on strike and it would work fine at strike i:e put into free spool push up to strike and it was always 6kg but i could never get it to be set at a light drag as such i:e when towing lures or live baitng with a Kahawai once in gear the load came on suddenly.

That is exactly the problem. Did they fix it?
Alan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 5:07pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Krow - I'll give that a go - I'm out of options.
Alan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 7:07pm
Rainbow Rocker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No, he said he had tried some other new ones in the shop and they were the same as the ones i had bought. He wasn't sure, thought something must have changed in side them.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 3:46pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Check the hole in the centre of the drag cam for signs of rounding off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 6:12pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Can do. Makes sense in that the issue is intermittent, in as much as soon as you pull out the drag cam, and reassemble, it works OK. Next time it locks up. I was beginning to suspect something wrong with the drag cam. Not much else - washers or cam? The odd thing tho is these reels are near new, hardly used. But then we have others on this forum with same problem out of the box. So, maybe a manufacturing problem. Was in a tackle shop today - plenty of TLD 25/30s. tried them all. Perfect.
Will check the drag cam.
Thanks
Alan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 8:57am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm back in NZ now (wind and rain). My mate took his reels back to the shop where he bought them (Vila), and just got a bunch of abuse really. So I'm not counting on too much help from that end. He is going to check the drag cams.
Regards
Alan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 9:59am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK, taken a while but he has now checked the drag cams. Can't find anything wrong with them. But the reels are near new.
Any other ideas?
Thanks
Alan 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 1:40pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

HI Alan, 

Swordfish steve sorted mine out, he modified the drag cam and  the reel now appears to work sweet..

good luck sorting it out

Cheers

Wefaknis
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 9:05am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmm, may have to get them back to NZ.
So it does sound like a manufacturing fault then - if the drag cam has to be modified.
Thanks for that. Sorry for late reply - for some reason the site is not notifying me of replies, even tho I have that box ticked.
Regards
Alan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 10:34am
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well, if ya talk to swordfish steve, he had a cam sitting there. easier to send that than a reel...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 6:37pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have been in touch with Steve, but he never mentioned it.
The thing that bothers me is that the reel is fine once you pull the tensioner adjust screw and cam out, or strip it down to the drag pre- tension washers. It feels perfect after that. The NEXT time you go to use it, it is rubbish. So at some point it seems to function fine. Which makes me wonder whether it could be the cam. That wouldn't change, you would think.
The other thing that annoys me is I told my mate to buy these reels. He doesn't have about 15 rods/reels all sizes like I do, and was wanting something as a general purpose reel. Told him he couldn't go past a TLD 30. I have 30's, 15s and a bunch of other reels, including other Shimanos. But I would never recommend a TLD again, after this. Especially knowing others have the same issue. So I feel a bit responsible to try and get him sorted.
Regards
Alan  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 7:47pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I've never had a TLD 30 apart. It certainly sounds like a cam profile (design problem) or a lube problem. Kind of like if you put grease on a little spinning reel anti reverse mechanism. I can't believe we don't have a solution yet. I will do some digging
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 8:36am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, a softer cam profile would help - except after you have pulled it all apart, and try the drag it is fine - so that suggests the profile is OK, but something is behaving erratically. Changing the pre load washers did alter the effect. When the drag locks up, it is a softer feel on the lever, not as harsh. But still goes to strike drag as soon as the lever engages, when it behaves badly - which is every time other than when newly re assembled.
Regards
Alan 
Page  <1234>