Something weirds happening

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpearPoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something weirds happening
    Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 2:33pm
SpearPoint View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So I hooked the battery up to my boat today and like an idiot put the positive on last and got a spark for my troubles. Now the powertrim is inverted (trim up sends the motor down, trim down sends the motor up) and the motor buzzs but won't start,the volt meters reads dead but the battery is fully charged.

Have I blown a fuse somewhere? How do I got about finding it?

Why has the motor trim inverted?

Motor is a 1989 Johnson 225 that until today was running perfectly.

Thanks for your help!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 2:56pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Disconnect the batteries straight away and don't try and start the motor. Look very carefully at your connections it appears you have the battery polarity wrong. DON'T just change the polarity at my say so, check it out and only change it if you are sure it is wrong. It may be a rather expensive stuff up or you may be lucky
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpearPoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 1:32pm
Silver
Silver

Are you saying that the battery has reversed poles? Or that I've put the wrong connectors on the terminals? I have a spare battery that I could swap out that would solve the first one right? But I'd have to test the connectors if it was the second one?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 1:43pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Either or can have happened. Batteries will reverse poles sometimes if you have run it down.

Also check you haven't inadvertently got the poles messed up. 

Try your other battery and double check the poles when you connect it.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grasshoppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 9:56pm
Grasshoppa View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Batt leads back to front......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 7:56am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'd say there's a 99% chance you've hooked the battery up backwards.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpearPoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 10:01am
Silver
Silver

Thanks guys, it's a new boat to me and this was the first time I've hooked the battery up myself. There's a couple of wires that go to each terminal so it sounds like something's gone wrong there.
Tried my spare battery with the same wire combo and it made no difference. The wires are Red and Black and I've got Red to positive and Black to negative. Can I test them with a multimeter? I'll try and get a photo up this evening.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 10:33am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It might be worth checking where the cables go to.  Having red for positive and black for negative sounds obvious to most people, but you would be surprised what some people do.  The negative cable will go to an earth on the motor and the positive to the starter solenoid.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpearPoint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 10:18am
Silver
Silver

So you looks like you were right Kevin about not trusting the cables, turns out my earth is the red wire Confused, who would have thought! Reversed them round and its all going again.
Thanks for your help everyone. I'll have to get some red and black electrical tape on them to save me from future headaches!

All working with the red wires on the negative lol.