Lake Fishing Rotorua area

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FinFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake Fishing Rotorua area
    Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 8:29pm
FinFan View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Off there this weekend and just wanted some fresh ideas on where to go and how to fish, troll jigging etc....any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 9:00pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lake  Rotorua good for shallow trolling - cobras, tobys or flies.
Unfortunately the "big fish" lakes Rotoiti , Okataina and Tarawera still closed to fishing in boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 8:03am
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Couple of the boys from work were trolling on Rotorua a couple of weekends ago.  They did really well trolling along the weed edge on the airport side of the lake.  They were using brightly coloured lures and picked up 2-3 browns as well as several rainbows. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 3:40pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you looking forward to opening weekend FB? You do a bit of jigging Rotoiti too dont you?
What you think prospects are like this season?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 4:34pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yip the boys are on to it.... we picked some some rainbows at those spots last school holidays... buy rainbows i mean mud fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 4:44pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Come on Smile - mudfishing is a nice change of pace from the normal ratrace up here in Auckland.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FinFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 9:54pm
FinFan View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That southerly is not looking good. Will try along the airport side in the morning and post results here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 10:18am
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fished Lake Rotorua 3 weeks ago using good old black toby and caught a 6.5 lb rainbow in good condition on the western side of Mokoia Is in 20 metres of water. Lots of trout sign there as well. The 20 metre hole is about 300-400m off Mokoia Is.
I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 4:03pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Does anyone  jig that hole CEEBEE?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 1:06pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I haven't seen anyone do that Redfinger
I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 4:49pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How often you down that way Colin?
I try to get there every couple of months in season - mostly Rotoiti but intend to explore Okataina a wee bit too. Mostly jigging but a bit of trolling and flyfishing the weedbeds too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 9:52pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I fished Lake Rotorua for my first time on Wednesday morning. Found a patch of weed on the airport side in 4.5m and we harled a smelt fly rig and I was using a black and gold toby. The fly rig was the winner. We kept three (2 at 3lbs and a lovely 5lber), released one and lost a handful. There was tons of fish sign on the sounder when over the weed beds, but they lost interest in what we were offering around 10am, so we took off shortly thereafter.

We did find the weed beds a bit hard to find, but that's certainly where the fish were hanging out. So will certainly head back there for another go soon and spend a bit more time scouting around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwitaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 11:22am
Kiwitaff View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, my first post so please forgive me if I'm doing things wrong.
I want to start downrigging in the Rotorua lakes area and have been looking up the regulations.
I'm not finding it that easy but if I'm understanding the regs correctly I can use a downrigger with up to 40 mts of cable/line on it providing the cable is not metal, i.e not SS or lead cored. Plus I can have a weight on the end??
Thanks in advance, hopefully someone can put me right.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 2:10pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes downriggers have a weighted ball or some such thing at end of cable. Im no expert on downrigging so someone should be along shortly to explain better.
Arguably probably the most effective way to catch trout in the lakes I imagine. 
Alot of comwercial operators use this method in Taupo so must work well but check Rotorua regulations.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 2:26pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi there, I'm not aware of any specific regulations in relation to the use of downriggers. I just had a quick look through the North Island fishing regulations and nothing stuck out.

On the lakes where they're legal (Waikeremoana is the only lake I know of where downrigging is not allowed), I think you can use them however you like: ie a drop a big ball of lead connected to braid or wire that'll take your lure to a desired depth.

Maybe you could pop into a Hunting and Fishing store and have a talk to the people there - they sell downriggers and associated equipment and might know of any rules I'm not aware of. Good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwitaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 5:14pm
Kiwitaff View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thank you so far.
The reason I'm finding it confusing is that I have looked at the regulations on
http://www.nzfishing.com/Regulations/RegulationsEastern.htm

Under the section title "Authorized Tackle", it says the following;-
  • No downrigger or other device must contain or have attached to its weight more than 40 metres of suspension cable.
  • It is prohibited to attach any paravane or weights to a line used in conjunction with a downrigger, or use any line containing wire, lead or other metal in conjunction with a downrigger.
I can't find this piece of legislation anywhere else, but as I said I want to do things right.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 8:50pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Mark,

Have a look at Fish and Game's website for the latest season rules and regulations. I had a quick look and could find no such rules as published in the nzfishing.com site. 

I might be missing something, or the nzfishing.com website might be displaying some old rules that are no longer relevant.

Eastern Fish & Game's contact details are on the site and in their pamphlets. They're a friendly bunch and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to give you a definitive answer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwitaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 8:55pm
Kiwitaff View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Mossy,
Thank you for that.
As you suggested I'll get in touch with Eastern Fish and Game and sort it out.
I'll let you know.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kiwitaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 8:12am
Kiwitaff View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Morning everyone,

For anyone like me and to those of you who got back to me about my question about downriggers. thank you again, by the way.

I got a reply from a very very helpful Fisheries Officer named Matt.
So, from the horses mouth:-

4. AUTHORISED TACKLE

4.1 No licence holder shall fish for sports fish with a set rod unless he or she is fishing from a boat.

4.2 Downriggers, paravanes and metal cored or wire lines are prohibited in Lakes Waikaremoana and Waikareiti.

That's it!

He went on to say "the use of the NZ Fishing.com website is often misleading as they try to rehash all of Fish & Games regulations in their own wording"

So I have learn't a valuable lesson, don't believe everything you read on the internet!SmileSmile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 9:19am
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Mark, good to know.
Page  12>