"Foulplay" journey to the harbour

Page  <1 567
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 9:42pm
NZR View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah... early Saturday is looking like the only vague possibility. Will be keeping a close eye on it. Only planning maybe 30 minutes of careful pottering near the ramp to begin with.

Today was a good example of playing it by ear. Supposed to be 14kt winds until about midday but instead it was absolutely totally still until about 12.30.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 11:05pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good luck NZR
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 8:24am
NZR View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Key piece of equipment installed!

Taught myself to bleed, flush and fill the fluid for my trim and tilt on Tuesday evening. Not a biggie for most but I'm enjoying learning new things :D

Bimini should arrive early next week.

Still keeping an eye on Saturday morning... I'm sure it'll be a treat for anyone watching as I've never reversed with a trailer on a car before (only ATV's and forklifts at work).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 6:47pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Practice makes perfect!
Hold the wheel at the 6 o'clock position, turn the wheel in the direction you want the boat to go- as in, to turn left, push bottom to left ie clockwise.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote NZR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 8:36pm
NZR View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ok so I'm gonna blow my own trumpet for a minute cos I can. Turns out I'm really frickin good at backing a trailer. Launched and retrieved perfectly twice on Saturday (once at Seaview and once at Lowry Bay for practice). Then got it up the dog-leg driveway and through the front gate easy as. Even ny flatmates father who is a truck driver was suitably impressed. I'm rather pleased!

A few bits and pieces to iron out with the boat but in general very pleased with how the first outing went.

Bimini arrived today, woo sun protection.

Unrelated: Anyone got an idea how much a 2nd hand auxiliary motor bracket is worth? Full aluminium, varnished timber mount board, rise and fall. Mint condition.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 6:59am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Congrats on successful outing - you are way ahead of my wife who cannot back a trailer at all and doesn't even want to try - having seen her park car and her reversing I am in full agreement!

Not sure about aux bracket - try listing on trade me with photo and dimensions and put a reserve at minimum you would be happy with and see how it goes
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 8:09am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This Frid arvo/ sat looking very good.
My old man taught me to back...but before any practical lessons died.
" 1/Take your time
2/ If going off, pull forward and correct early rather than spend time trying to straighten.. the having to eventually correct even more.
Doing both of the above you will complete the task faster , looking more efficient that a semi experienced person who rushes to show off and screws it up."

my 1st experience.. attempt was backing a 19" caravan behind a EH holden into a narrow space in the Mangawhai camping ground.. back in the days when only the left end only existed... nailed it 1st time.

What still gets me.. I started back in the 60s.. before side mirrors and 4x4 as we have them now...so it was all done looking over the shoulder....now its sort of both.. and its easy to mix which way down for shoulder and which for mirror every now and then Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 9:34pm
NZR View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

There are now 2 boats in the yard.

Oops.

Not really, my flatmate picked up a 16ft Parkercraft with a 40hp Evinrude on it for $1000. We picked it up on Thursday evening.

Has a lot less gear on board than mine (like, nothing) but we should be able to get it out this summer.

I took a deep breath after my first sea trial and decided to bite the bullet and do some work on my wee thing to make it more comfortable and secure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 6:09am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by NZR NZR wrote:

There are now 2 boats in the yard.

Oops.

Not really, my flatmate picked up a 16ft Parkercraft with a 40hp Evinrude on it for $1000. We picked it up on Thursday evening.

Has a lot less gear on board than mine (like, nothing) but we should be able to get it out this summer.

I took a deep breath after my first sea trial and decided to bite the bullet and do some work on my wee thing to make it more comfortable and secure.
I had a 1975 riveted 14.5 ft parkercraft with a Johnson 25 same year - had for 5 years and during this time upgraded motor to a 40hp 1975 Johnson and replaced trailer - very light boat so it flew along but any kind of sea and it pounded terribly.  Realised that fishing is what I wanted to do and could only get out in mint conditions in this boat so upgraded to a pontoon boat - but had some great times in it.

What are you planning to do to your boat NZR? 
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 3:21pm
NZR View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hah yeah we thought that sitting on it... you'd feel every nasty little bump. So thin and lite. As a personal thing I prefer how my glass hull sits in the water.

I'm part way through installing a hatch in the floor so I can add a bilge pump for peace of mind (there was absolutely zero access to under the floor previously). Going to put all new rubber seals around the topsides and a few other bits and pieces.

Also planning to fiddle around with the motor a bit as the 4th cylinder is running a tad lower than ideal.
PSI's are as follows:
2: 122
1: 122
4: 99
3: 118
Page  <1 567