"Foulplay" journey to the harbour

Page  <1234 7>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 7:08pm
NZR View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers. Now to find someone to do that... I know a few outboard servicing places etc but not so familiar with anything beyond that. Time to consult google again.

Just for the sake of it, here's some of the photos I took of the engine that isn't currently on the boat. Seems fairly tidy for its age. A little better looking than the other one, although that one seems to have actually been used.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote snoteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 8:14pm
snoteel View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by NZR NZR wrote:

Cheers. Now to find someone to do that... I know a few outboard servicing places etc but not so familiar with anything beyond that. Time to consult google again.

Try Google "Marine Surveyors" in Wellington...ring around and see if any can assist in checking out your boat.
if your boyfriend doesn't like fishing....you have a girlfriend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 10:23pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Or a local boatbuilder might cast a quick eye over the transom if you're worried. 

Boating's cool fun, but it's a horrible feeling being out on the water with a niggling doubt about the integrity of your boat or motor when the sea chops up or the winds starts blowing unexpectedly. Ignorance can be bliss, but I much prefer nowadays to have a little peace of mind.

Coastguard do a good outboard motor maintenance course by correspondence, too, which I found real helpful, if for no other reason than it has a good, simple reference book. But the Dayskipper course is a must IMO.

Good luck and have fun with your boating journey.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 12:46am
NZR View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I wouldn't say 'Worried" as such but I'd rather not take undue risk therefore I will have it looked at. I'm a relatively cautious person by nature and I like to know I've done what I can within reason to ensure things won't go wrong and if they do, that I am prepared. Pretty much the whole purpose of this thread. 

I'll be that young woman out on her boat puttering around the harbour veeeeeery carefully, anyone local is welcome to point and laugh LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 8:00am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If I were inspecting the transom, what signs should I be looking for that there is a problem?

Look for de lamination.. areas where the appears or feels hollow underneath.. solid tapping with the handle of a good sized screw driver.. should be a good solid "thump"... sound
Check the  whole hull with the screwdriver as well... espec up thru the keel area...sounds will change, keep in mind there is framing  glassed in behind the hull
Any fittings screws that go thru the stern, espec low down on or under water line... remove, inspect if wet or rotten inside..
Swing on the motor, feel for any movement.. in motor mounts and stern movement.
It maybe worth pulling all these anyway.. including the motor mounts, and re sealing with approved  marine urethane sealant. NOT silicone
 also chances are u may have  a little seepage up thru the keel strip screws...again would not hurt to pull the screws.. check the keel woods underneath...may require re packing the screw holes with small dowel and urethane sealant, then re screw.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 8:32am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I wouldn't say 'Worried" as such but I'd rather not take undue risk therefore I will have it looked at. I'm a relatively cautious person by nature and I like to know I've done what I can within reason to ensure things won't go wrong and if they do, that I am prepared. Pretty much the whole purpose of this thread. 

I'll be that young woman out on her boat puttering around the harbour veeeeeery carefully, anyone local is welcome to point and laugh LOL

It's probably not a bad idea to see if someone's willing to accompany you in another boat on your very first trip if not the first couple. That way if it all goes horribly wrong and the transom falls off or the motor gives up the ghost at least they're on hand to help out. Plus they will be able to help with all the little stuff that people take for granted until the first time they actually have to do it, i.e. launching and retrieving.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 10:42am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

If I were inspecting the transom, what signs should I be looking for that there is a problem?

Look for de lamination.. areas where the appears or feels hollow underneath.. solid tapping with the handle of a good sized screw driver.. should be a good solid "thump"... sound
Check the  whole hull with the screwdriver as well... espec up thru the keel area...sounds will change, keep in mind there is framing  glassed in behind the hull
Any fittings screws that go thru the stern, espec low down on or under water line... remove, inspect if wet or rotten inside..
Swing on the motor, feel for any movement.. in motor mounts and stern movement.
It maybe worth pulling all these anyway.. including the motor mounts, and re sealing with approved  marine urethane sealant. NOT silicone
 also chances are u may have  a little seepage up thru the keel strip screws...again would not hurt to pull the screws.. check the keel woods underneath...may require re packing the screw holes with small dowel and urethane sealant, then re screw.
Good advice here and covers most - if you have any concerns or not sure if you have covered you could get a boat shop to remove motor from transom and inspect for you - someone in wgtn should be able to recommend a good shop.  Good thing about these older boats is that if there is a problem should be some symptoms as Steps describes here. 
At end of day if no signs and motor is solid on transom (no movement when you rock it) you should be okay.  Any doubts get it checked out is real bad if motor falls off and takes transom with it!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snoteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 2:20pm
snoteel View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

[/QUOTE]

It's probably not a bad idea to see if someone's willing to accompany you in another boat on your very first trip if not the first couple. That way if it all goes horribly wrong and the transom falls off or the motor gives up the ghost at least they're on hand to help out. Plus they will be able to help with all the little stuff that people take for granted until the first time they actually have to do it, i.e. launching and retrieving.
[/QUOTE]

Good call here from Rozboon....post on this thread or PM me when you plan your first Sunday outing, I would be happy to tag along as a back up. We all started where you are now, don't be shy to keep asking questions, this is how many of us learnt and this forum is full of good folk with much knowledge.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 4:53pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

if you have any concerns or not sure if you have covered you could get a boat shop to remove motor from transom and inspect for you

You can check re seal the 4 mounting bolts by removing 1 at a time...
Or want to remove motor, a engine hoist....or a strop from a tree...lower the engine with the jockey wheel at the front onto a block of wood.. then pull the bolts and then pull the boat trailer way
Son was adjusting his engine height at the ramp under a tree...5.5 m rayglass and 140 merc nps by himself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 6:32pm
NZR View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

It's probably not a bad idea to see if someone's willing to accompany you in another boat on your very first trip if not the first couple.

Absolutely! I'm on "Fishing Wellington" so will likely post something up there and here closer to the time I'm thinking of going out.

Originally posted by snoteel snoteel wrote:

Good call here from Rozboon....post on this thread or PM me when you plan your first Sunday outing, I would be happy to tag along as a back up. We all started where you are now, don't be shy to keep asking questions, this is how many of us learnt and this forum is full of good folk with much knowledge.

Thanks! Will do Big smile

Look for de lamination. areas where the appears or feels hollow underneath.. solid tapping with the handle of a good sized screw driver.. should be a good solid "thump"... sound. Check the whole hull with the screwdriver as well... espec up thru the keel area...sounds will change, keep in mind there is framing glassed in behind the hull
Any fittings screws that go thru the stern, espec low down on or under water line... remove, inspect if wet or rotten inside. Swing on the motor, feel for any movement.. in motor mounts and stern movement. It may be worth pulling all these anyway.. including the motor mounts, and re sealing with 
approved  marine urethane sealant. NOT silicone also chances are u may have a little seepage up thru the keel strip screws...again would not hurt to pull the screws. Check the keel woods underneath...may require re packing the screw holes with small dowel and urethane sealant, then re screw.

Of all the million things I don’t know about boats... tapping along just about every square inch of the entire hull is something I did do before I bought it Smile (I have since repeated this again, more slowly). I have some limited basic knowledge of fibreglass that told me this was a good idea, looking for spots that sound “dull” or just... off. I didn’t find anything. All seems solid, a nice clear noise rather than anything muted or spongy. Motor doesn’t move if I wiggle it with force/hang off it/etc. No funny noises (cracking, creaking and such).

if you have any concerns or not sure if you have covered you could get a boat shop to remove motor from transom and inspect for you

You can check re seal the 4 mounting bolts by removing 1 at a time...
Or want to remove motor, a engine hoist....or a strop from a tree...lower the engine with the jockey wheel at the front onto a block of wood.. then pull the bolts and then pull the boat trailer way
Son was adjusting his engine height at the ramp under a tree...5.5 m rayglass and 140 merc nps by himself.

Last weekend I arranged to borrow an engine hoist in about 3 weeks time. I intend to check and possibly replace the bolts. Depending on which motor is better I may also swap them over.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 6:44pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Steep learning curve ahead! Been there, done that.
My 'first' was a 13' ply hull, ancient 25hp 2 stroke on a home build trailer.
Learned many lessons on that:- put the bung in before launching, always have the motor running when you pull the anchor, never buy an old ply hull with an ancient outboard! The 'dog' clutch was so worn that whenever I opened the throttle it would slip out of gear, then the stress of re-engaging would break the shear pin. Fun times.
Ramco Tearaway with a Yamaha 4 stroke was next, now settled with a Stabi/ Yamaha combo.
Whilst it was fun learning by mistakes, most of these happened within 500m of the boat ramp. I wish you well and definitely go with the above advice and have a joint trip out, in case it goes pear shaped.
Have fun, tight lines. Just remember the correct number of rods to own is n+1, where n= the number of rods you currently own.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 8:43pm
NZR View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm hoping this goes a little better than that sounds, gah!

Theoretically, with some practice I could launch this on my own, yeah? I have 4 days off work each week (Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun) so I often fish alone. Obviously not to begin with.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snoteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 9:06pm
snoteel View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Theoretically, with some practice I could launch this on my own, yeah?

Yeah...with practice there is no reason why you couldn't launch and retrieve single handed...I do all the time but a lot of that can be attributed to my trailer design...my best effort due to the ramp being very busy was pulling out with my boat trailered approx 3 minutes after backing it down the ramp...can normally launch in similar time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 11:06pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Best mod. I have for solo retrieve is a 'jam cleat' mounted on the winch.
I can haul the boat onto the trailer, lock off the cleat and casually stroll,down to hook up the winch rope.
When launching, a half hitch around the winch bracket, loosen off the slack on the tow rope, unhook and a quick flick release the rope and the boat glides into the water.

For trickier crosswinds, an extra rope on the stern aids in aligning the boat onto the trailer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 8:39am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Commencements on your basic common sense on checks etc pre purchase...

possibly replace the bolts. (engine mounts)
 be a where these are not ordinary stainless or steel bolts and washers. They are of a unique type high strength alloy...exactly what Im not sure.. but not using ordinary stainless or steel or galv is the important point here.
The reason for this special ally is strength and preventing corrosion from electrolysis from different types of metals.

Couple weeks ago was talking to a guy at the ramp...had just got his motor re mounted due to corrosion issues in the mounts assembly around the bearings and other places.
He said he was fairly "hard" on the boat over the yrs. But did notice that the mounting bolts.. new mounting bolts where stainless... and if the old ones where the chances are him nearly loosing his motor would have been to corrosive electrolysis between the metals
I do wonder just how many older engines.. espec 2nd hand install dont have the right alloy bolts?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 9:50am
Titanium
Titanium

Commencements on your basic common sense on checks etc pre purchase...

possibly replace the bolts. (engine mounts)
 be a where these are not ordinary stainless or steel bolts and washers. They are of a unique type high strength alloy...exactly what Im not sure.. but not using ordinary stainless or steel or galv is the important point here.
The reason for this special ally is strength and preventing corrosion from electrolysis from different types of metals.

Couple weeks ago was talking to a guy at the ramp...had just got his motor re mounted due to corrosion issues in the mounts assembly around the bearings and other places.
He said he was fairly "hard" on the boat over the yrs. But did notice that the mounting bolts.. new mounting bolts where stainless... and if the old ones where the chances are him nearly loosing his motor would have been to corrosive electrolysis between the metals
I do wonder just how many older engines.. espec 2nd hand install dont have the right alloy bolts?

Good point, you are making me lose sleep at night Keith...what probably happens is dealer does install and wants to charge for correct bolts and customer kicks up a fuss at expense so they go stainless next time, or they don't care in first place as not their problem in 5 or 10 years down the track?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 3:12pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

what probably happens is dealer does install and wants to charge for correct bolts and customer kicks up a fuss at expense so they go stainless next time, or they don't care in first place as not their problem in 5 or 10 years down the track?

The whys dont really interest me nor do I care.. thats their problem.
Fortunately after a few issues with out local service guys... well a young guy on the staff who no longer works there.... me picking up on slack unprofessional workman ship.. from not picking up cracked fuel lines , un torqued spring shackles, cleaning battery terminates while engine runs, blow the regulator.. type of stuff.
A quiet word in the bosses ear ....and I have the greatest respect for his and the owners knowledge/ experience and ethics....
Althu I now do my own servicing and stuff now, anything Im not sure on, or requiring parts I head own there and they are always very helpful with no BS. Fortunately I have a well stocked home workshop, library of service , repair, factory assembly line instruction manuals (A.I.M s ) etc

The issues why things went wrong, and most proberly with some other customers had been sorted sometime back
All good.

1 bad staff member doesnt necessarily make a bad workshop.. unless that workshop doesnt act on it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 4:07pm
NZR View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Whelp, doesn't look like I'll be having the outboards assessed anytime soon. Been in correspondence with somewhere local and it isn't worth it.

Dude hasn't seen either of the motors, not even photos and has already basically written them off. I understand perfectly well that they are old but that doesn't mean they're done for. Something I am aware of though is his company, which shall remain un-named, also do sales... At a guess that has something to do with it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:05pm
Titanium
Titanium

Whelp, doesn't look like I'll be having the outboards assessed anytime soon. Been in correspondence with somewhere local and it isn't worth it.

Dude hasn't seen either of the motors, not even photos and has already basically written them off. I understand perfectly well that they are old but that doesn't mean they're done for. Something I am aware of though is his company, which shall remain un-named, also do sales... At a guess that has something to do with it.
This has been discussed before - yes they want to sell you a new one also if any hassles post service of old motor...
Some guys down there may know someone who is honest and will look at it.  Or you can get a manual and do it yourself if able to...
Its true that often the old motors are in a shocking state but without even seeing it....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 5:22pm
NZR View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think that's the bit that bothers me the most. Writing them off and running them down without ever laying eyes on them.
Page  <1234 7>