Diawa SL20SH too small for mech jigging?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diawa SL20SH too small for mech jigging?
    Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 10:21am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have this reel(lightly used mind you).
Only has around 7kg max drag I think.
Was wondering if I could tool this reel up to see if I like the whole mech jigging thing,then invest in a dedicated combo if I enjoy this style.
Cheerz
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 10:26am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Even a small legal king will tax it Rob. Great reels but not for that.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 10:41am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rodger that Smudge.
Thought as much.
Seem to be a few upgrade/strengthening kits around.
But overkill for me.
Will just `nut up`and get a balanced kit.
Cheerz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 11:02am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What about an Okuma CV30L?
Have 1 of these too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 11:37am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You can throw a carbontex drag kit in them. They're fine for 15kg line, but 24kg maybe a stretch. But to be honest they have very similar sized drags and gears to their bigger cousins, the 40 and the 50 SH. So why not give them a go. Absolutely definitely not enough for 37kg braid, but 24 kg could be ok. definitely put the carbontex drag washers in them though.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 12:25pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

stormbringer (I think it was him?) down Welly ways used to jig kings all the time on a SL20SH. Add carbontex drag, button it down and give it death.

The biggest issue with them is they have no instant anti-reverse and the ratchet gear on them is very coarse so there's a lot of back-play in the handle.

There are some alright reels out there that are pretty cheap - Okuma Cortez and the SLX-10CS would do OK as entry level jigging reels, as would a Penn Squall or Shimano Torium (or Torium HG) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 12:28pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

stormbringer (I think it was him?) down Welly ways used to jig kings all the time on a SL20SH. Add carbontex drag, button it down and give it death.

The biggest issue with them is they have no instant anti-reverse and the ratchet gear on them is very coarse so there's a lot of back-play in the handle.

There are some alright reels out there that are pretty cheap - Okuma Cortez and the SLX-10CS would do OK as entry level jigging reels, as would a Penn Squall or Shimano Torium (or Torium HG) 

Well there you go 3r, it can be done. Imopressive
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 4:30pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheerz men.
Carbonex drag washers it is then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 5:55pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All sounds good in theory, until you keep getting smoked by average fish.
If you think your gonna give it a go get the right gear from the start to give yourself a chance to experience the activity to the max. IMO
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snoteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 9:33pm
snoteel View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by PE Pete PE Pete wrote:

All sounds good in theory, until you keep getting smoked by average fish.
If you think your gonna give it a go get the right gear from the start to give yourself a chance to experience the activity to the max. IMO

Have to agree with Pete...I tried jigging for the first few times with a similar sort of reel (Penn 525 Mag) and just got busted off (spooled even) over and over...didn't even get to see a fish and started to think about all these fish dragging my leader and line around probably causing them a slow death or at the least causing them massive problems.

Long story short...kingfish are highly addictive, especially after you boat one or two but can also be very expensive, I know...it turned me into a unashamedly uncontrollable tackle ho...
if your boyfriend doesn't like fishing....you have a girlfriend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 7:22am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Better explained than me and all true!
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 8:32am
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep go it.
Probably sell some of my game reels to bankroll a decent MJ setup.
`Spose one could also use the reel on another rod for a different style of fishing?
Cheerz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 10:36am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bollocks to all of that. I have a SL30SH (same gears/drag as SL20SH) with Carbontex and it makes plenty of drag for a 24kg basic MJ setup.

Go out and give it heaps. You'll quickly decide if you love it or hate it, if you've just dropped $1k+ on a high end jig stick and you hate it that will sting a bit.
And if you love it, you can pop the SL20SH on a 7ft rod, spool it with mono and have a sweet strayline setup.

EDIT: If it's buggering off with your line then just thumb the spool and hang on. If you hook a 20kg+ fish you're gonna have your hands full but anyone new to jigging is going to have a time and a half with a fish that size regardless.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 12:13pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Decisions decisions.
Was planing on some carbontex washers anyways.
Be just my luck to sell the game gear and see the best gamefishing in a generation occur next season.
I can buy a small sheet of that carbontex from Straya for about $30 and do all my boat reels in 1 go.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snoteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 5:54pm
snoteel View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

Bollocks to all of that. I have a SL30SH (same gears/drag as SL20SH) with Carbontex and it makes plenty of drag for a 24kg basic MJ setup.

Go out and give it heaps. You'll quickly decide if you love it or hate it, if you've just dropped $1k+ on a high end jig stick and you hate it that will sting a bit.
And if you love it, you can pop the SL20SH on a 7ft rod, spool it with mono and have a sweet strayline setup.

EDIT: If it's buggering off with your line then just thumb the spool and hang on. If you hook a 20kg+ fish you're gonna have your hands full but anyone new to jigging is going to have a time and a half with a fish that size regardless.

Still not convinced...
Now please don't get defensive...I'm not saying anyone or any reel is right or wrong...it's just my opinion that although the SL20SH is a great reel I believe a good sized fish will win most of those battles, I thumbed the spool on my 525 with full drag and lost most of my line and a fair amount of skin off my thumb...
But hey...I'm sure it has been done and I cannot stress enough, this is just my opinion...no right, no wrong, no judging... 
if your boyfriend doesn't like fishing....you have a girlfriend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 8:39pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got my SL50SH Carbintex upgrade by Swordfish Steve.....whaddya reckon? Stick to livies or try jigging?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Stormbringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 9:34pm
Stormbringer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I used an sl20 fo a couple of years, upgraded the bearings and put carbon drag washers in and found it went well it landed alot of kings upto 25KG, the only weak point is the main shaft I replaced 3 broken shafts ......

The reel in action and the result 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 10:33pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have you considered sourcing a Diawa 30T, good entry level jig reel. I started with one and got obsessed with jigging and upgraded to a JM eventually. You could pick one up pretty cheap I would say. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 11:54pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Okuma Metaloid. Only $300 or so. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 7:42am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by snoteel snoteel wrote:

Still not convinced...
Now please don't get defensive...I'm not saying anyone or any reel is right or wrong...it's just my opinion that although the SL20SH is a great reel I believe a good sized fish will win most of those battles, I thumbed the spool on my 525 with full drag and lost most of my line and a fair amount of skin off my thumb...
But hey...I'm sure it has been done and I cannot stress enough, this is just my opinion...no right, no wrong, no judging... 

No worries - sometimes you just aren't going to stop the fish regardless with anything short of a big game reel. You would be amazed how much drag you get when thumbing a spool, a crummy old star drag + thumbing is probably a fair bit more drag than most lever drag reels put out without the bearings turning to poo.

Originally posted by jackel jackel wrote:

Have you considered sourcing a Diawa 30T, good entry level jig reel. I started with one and got obsessed with jigging and upgraded to a JM eventually. You could pick one up pretty cheap I would say. 

Personally I only rate the Saltist a tiny bit higher than the slosh for mech. jigging - you get an instant anti-reverse but otherwise the guts are very similar. There's something in the clutch mechanism that blows up eventually as well.
Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

Okuma Metaloid. Only $300 or so. 

This, get a 5N, great entry level jigging reel. Spool with 24kg line and set it up for around 8kg at strike and go have fun.
You'll crush the pinion bearing if you try to wind in too much drag though. It doesn't have an instant anti-reverse either but it has dual alternating dogs that minimise back-play. Finally if you decide you want to get something a bit flasher the Metaloid would make a great slow-jig or even general purpose reel.
Page  12>