feedback on boat please

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dedamm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: feedback on boat please
    Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 6:44am
dedamm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Any feedback on this boat will be appreciated http://www.trademe.co.nz/1148572149Trade me boat I want opinions on - click here
Life's a "Beach"..........enjoy the ride!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 9:04am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks tidy, seems a lot for a 13 year old 2S and 22 year old boat.  Though appears in above average condition.  Get detail of last outboard service and full history - should be annually.  I wonder if boat used enough as regular use essential for longevity of motor.
Need to sea test if interested but make it clear you will make an serious offer subject to no major defects being found,  Problem for owner is what is 13 year old 2S worth?  8K? am guessing so check out if owner realistic and agree on what your offer may be if he is reluctant to let you sea test first - there will be something wrong its a boat!

Is not a fishing boat looks like a family fun boat with water sports in mind with odd fishing trip  thrown in is this what you are after?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 9:16am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Average of 20.4 hours a year on the motor. No problem if used every year, and not left sitting over the winter. As MacSkipper said less hours is not always a good thing. Fortunately a lot of people will say that the motor has been sitting, like it's a feature.

Get it checked out by a good mechanic regardless. 

The other thing to look at are the fitting holes in the transom etc. If there are holes not sealed, or sealed inadequately then there's the possibility of rot. Even some modern fibreglass boats still use ply in the transom. Best practice is to overdrill all holes, fill with an epoxy mix, let it cure, and then drill to the diameter required. Doubt any company does this, most using a variety of sealants. This might not be an issue, but have a careful look before paying money.

The boat looks to be in good nick. It will likely have a towing weight in excess of 1000kg. That's a lot on an unbraked trailer. Other thing to check is that you can physically move it around your driveway, and that it will fit where you plan to put it. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dedamm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 9:55am
dedamm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Macskipper
Have taken note of your pointers .Also looking at Buccaneer 550 classic on TM Listing #1087795928 Just the hours are high .This is more what Im after .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 4:24pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1st mid powered... merc check the trim and mounts
Both look at the pod bolts...these may need attending to ... leak into boat.
2nd nicer boat well powered.

Keep in mind when buying boats with older engines.
If the engine craps out, the boat is near  worthless   so have up in reserve cash to replace with a good 3nd hand....115 to 140 hp (both)  ball park 6 to 9K.If engine proves good.. then look at upgrading things like bimini
OH and make sure the windsheilds / windows in good order... you would be in shock at replacement costs  2 to 3 K from memory.

If looking at the odd over night with the missus....both poke cabins...start looking at the 635 (200 hp)  which has about the same size as a old commander 18' 2"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote junior fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 6:00pm
junior fisho View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Boat looks good. I like the Buccaneers. Be sad to see mine go but time to move onto a larger length tin can
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 9:23pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That Yamaha would have another 2000 hours in it from what I'm told. If it's in good condition I wouldn't sweat the hours. Get a 8hp fourstroke aux on a bracket just in case.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dedamm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 12:52pm
dedamm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Few boats on TM that im interested in....no hour meter....one from a dealer .Need to sweat over it or will the dealers warranty suffice....private sellers service history be sufficient??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Malcolm in the Middle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 7:48pm
Malcolm in the Middle View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Interesting comments re the "older motor" and the potential issues. Hey its only 13 years - I don't consider that old. Sure the technology has moved on, but you should get plenty more hours of fun out of that.

For $23k odd you are getting a nice unit. Look at how much the dollars rise as you start get into single digit ages. It comes down to how much you want to spend on a boat - which for most owners is used  less than once a month on average.

FYI - I bought one of these 2 years ago. Exactly the same boat but with Yamaha 115 (2 stroke)rather than Merc. Have been very pleased with it.  

I note an earlier comment that you wouldn't buy it as a fishing boat. Well that's mainly what we use ours for. Fishes 4 ok and also used for some skiing and water toys etc. We swapped the king/queen seat on drivers side with a pedestal which improved fishing space.

Handles great (though a little sensitive to side to side weight movement) with soft ride. Power is fine. Serious skiers may want a size up the HP range, but for general use no probs.

I understand towing weight is about 1,200 kgs. We tow ours easily with Commodore SV6.

Feel free to PM me if you would like any further info.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 8:03am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

no hour meter.

Just a snippet of info... I know the older johnsons / evinrudes pre around 2005/6 at least do not have direct in to loom plug in hr meters .. they are added as a after market sort of thing
I have not looked into other makes, but suspect the same with those.
Hence I treat hr meters with some suspicion...when buying a boat, see if the tracks are still on the gps.. if what the person says matches the gps tracks.
 I found this out more by accident after buying our boat...tracks where dated...and covered the yrs the last owner had owned it...but he had grossly over estimated the hrs he had used it....you would be quite surprised just how little hrs one puts up over a 6/ 8 hr day of general use/ fishing.
EG lets say the boat goes out from KK.. fishes bottom end, muscle farms over on the corro....thats around 45 mins to maybe 1 1/2 ave motor use per trip... and occasional longer.
So lets say 2  hr (high side) 1 1/2 trip on ave per months (high side most boats)  thats 25/ 35 hrs per yr... very much on high side
And with lake boats , these by nature tend to have very low hrs... weather  fishing seasons, size of lakes/ rivers in NZ.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dedamm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 9:24am
dedamm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Any leads :Looking at buying Buccaneer 550 with a Yamaha 115 .Main reason is overnight sleeping space in cabin)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote junior fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 10:12am
junior fisho View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You looking at classic or walk around? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dedamm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 5:24am
dedamm View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Finally bought a Buccaneer 550 Classic with a115 Yamaha .Dealer took us out on Monday (05.09)from HMB .Wind howling but felt comfortable in the boat .Am yet to take the boat out myself....on call till Monday morning!Thanks to all for tips and advice .Much appreciated !!(