A day out on Manukau with the Gurnard Guru

Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote Radman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A day out on Manukau with the Gurnard Guru
    Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 8:16pm
Radman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

An intense week of work and study with no time for fishing had me looking at the weather and seeing nothing but gale force winds and high swell - except for Sunday.  Sunday looked Pretty. Bludy. Good.  Smudge was keen so a flurry of texts later and Smudge, Skoti and yours truly were heading out on Smudge2 for a day on the Manukau.

Because I was with the Gurnard Guru I settled back to watch and learn.  Obviously that was the right approach as I pulled in the first Gurnard.  Note to self: don't do a jig for catching the first Gurnard when on the Gurnard Guru's boat.  Or at least be wearing a wetsuit and have a life jacket on.

Luckily Smudge's place in the universe was restored quickly by catching the next two Gurnard's.  Being the good sport that he is, he let them both go before they were in the boat by not waiting for the net - or even calling for one (there weren't enough tissues on the boat so the next tides could be quite high).

Given the slightly "problematic" status of Gurnard fishing (i.e. according to Smudge it was going south in a hurry) we turned our attention to Kahawai.  With not a bird in sight that endeavour didn't last long.  Obviously I was to blame because at some point I may have suggested going after Kahawai.  Another lesson learnt.

With the turn of the tide we headed back in to "Smudge's secret spot number 2" and there things started to heat up...as in Smudge caught a couple of Kahawai (which we were no longer targeting right Smudge?). Skoti and I matched his efforts by pulling in some of the smallest snapper seen in the Manukau.  I was estatic!  Not only had I caught the first Gurnard (against the Gurnard Guru) but I also caught the first Snapper and smallest Snapper!  You can't beat that sort of fishing trifecta.

Slowly but surely the Gurnard Guru started getting runs on the board.  Skoti kept up with him for a while - bringing in a nice Trevally and a few Gurnard - but the day ended with another win for the Gurnard Guru on a tough day for fishing.  All up 8 Gurnard (on board), 3 Kahawai and 1 Trevally as well as 2 Gurnard lost (and countless tissues used) 

Weather conditions ranged from calm and warm to chilly and choppy but all up it was another great day out.

If you're going out it seems a bit quiet at the moment.  We weren't the only boats not getting a full quota and everyone we spoke to on the water seemed to be doing it tough too.  Regardless, it's always good to get out on the water and once again learnt something from watching Smudge in action.  Lesson 1 is: call for the net!  Early would be preferable!  Lesson 2: don't mention fish lost because the net wasn't called for.

Tight lines! Smile 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 9:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Well let's just start by saying there's the truth and there's 'the truth'!

Here's 'the truth'! A slow day but a good one. After an hour of hard core all out fishing this was the most exciting picture I had:
 Great conditions, just a little cold. The fishing was so slow I assigned Radman to gurnard work up lookout duties:

Radman was the first to put a fish in the bin but like I'm going to get a picture of that! Instead I waited for Skoti to hook up on a nice trevally:

It went a little quiet so we had to initiate Rob into the ways of the Big Muddy:

Skoti puts another carrot in the shopping basket:

Anyway, this is what we ended up with. Slow but rewarding. Good to be out fishing on our home turf with Skoti & Radman.

We spoke to three other boats who had no fish on board so we were lucky. I can't wait til the scallops are on!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 9:17pm
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Excellent post Radman, I know the feeling of those two legends besting you, Na just joking.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 9:26pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice catch Radman and crew.
Yum feed for you'se
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 10:12pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A very nice summary of the events that unfolded today and well done on a first report Radman  Clap
However , there is the truth and there is the truth ......

But I won't go there LOL
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 10:40pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks like a good result to me.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 7:34am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cool report Radman! Liked..... Bet some of you Manakau Boyz, Smudge & Co looking forward heading out over Manakau Bar for a big spring Snap or two!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:21am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good stuff guys made my day to read as working in Singapore this week after overnight travel - nice to feel I am not missing out on to much at least sharks were quiet to.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 12:11pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Good stuff..except for the L. Brown...

Great fillet shot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote foulplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 2:01pm
foulplay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good report. Nothing wrong with the "brown bombers" Espresso! Standard issue on our great barrier trips.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 8:25pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Cool report Radman! Liked..... Bet some of you Manakau Boyz, Smudge & Co looking forward heading out over Manakau Bar for a big spring Snap or two!

We sure are Geoff it's always a topic of discussion with the local fishermen this time of year. Despite a reasonable summer & autumn, winter hasn't been kind for us in the harbour while the coast has been very good. Just can't beat those big bad boys that will be schooling up out off the coast soon.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street