"Epic early morn windy Snappa sesh off the Bays"

Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Epic early morn windy Snappa sesh off the Bays"
    Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 4:31pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Well with another windy weekend on the cards I wasn't exspecting a call from "The old boy" (Pea) as he doesn't ...like to get his hair messed up (Well more like being cold)...

I txtd my mate John to see if he was keen for some fresh fish for tea:-) He doesn't seem to mind the wind and with it being offshore off the bays we knew we would be swt in the shallows just off the cliffs - I meet him down at Castors as our close in spot X was only couple mins away plus it was nice and sheltered on launch...

Dropping his little 13ft tin in we headed off along the coast - although it was gusting we were hard up in the shallows out of most of it, with in a few mins we arrived at spot X - sitting in around 3-4mtrs of water we dropped the pick....we always try to beat each other to get the first bait in, most times in the shallows you can hook up fish of the day before the burley brings in the smaller mods...

Both casting out our baits we set up the burley and I chopped up a couple of pillies to feed down the trail - the tide had just turned to come in so we were hopping they would be on the bite pretty quick, we got ht burley pumping and it was looking fishy. We sat for awhile before our first bites came on - there was also a couple of Gannets diving up towards Rothesay but we decided to stay put especially with the wind gusts, we were tucked up nicely outa the wind...

The first few Snaps were just small pans around 35cm which we slipped back over the side - normally we can get not huge fish but nice eaters around 4-6lb, pumping the burley more we started to get some good hits. My mate got a great hit to only get dusted pretty quick - fishing this little spot we love fishing light and sometimes you do get that odd thumper here....

We started to get some better fish and with the burley and little cubes of bait it got them coming right on the bite, my mate was stoked and was loving it - he's been out with me a couple times and has now stopped questioning me about fishing so close:-)

There was plenty of fish around and a few goodies in the mix - I didn't need a lot of fish and my mate only wanted a couple so with the wind not slowing down we called it a morning at 11.00 with 6-7 good Snaps in the bin...Although we got blown about a bit it was a lot of fun and it was great getting a line wet with no other boats other than a few little sail boats about.

love these days that keep the "Nancy Boys" at home and you have the whole area to your self.....

Tight lines

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 7:39am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Good fishing - quality fish, metres from a city shoreline. The workups of the past few weeks along northern bays have dropped right off, yet snapper there, excellent. Just shows a tiny tinny is still a fun n effective fishing machine..and out wider was windy and a 'no fishing' kind of day.