Kilwell Lime Tip 15kg - any thoughts?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kilwell Lime Tip 15kg - any thoughts?
    Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 8:12pm
Snapjack View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Does anyone have any experience on the Kilwell Lime Tip 15kg as rock rod or just as a versatile all-round rod?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 1:07am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is that the 8 foot rock rod...two piece?.......if it is.....grab it....
or are you talking the 7 foot ish jelly tip rods(one piece boat rod)) ?
The 7 foot is a bit short for the rocks but great for the boat.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 10:42am
Snapjack View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I was referring to the 8ft 2pc, which Marine Deals are currently selling.

The 7ft 1pc are back in circulation. There's a shop selling them on trade me.

I live in Tauranga and want something decent to fish from the rocks. I will be using an 8000 baitrunner.

How would the lime-tip compare to a popper rod for the same purpose, such as a Saltist Hyper 792H or Saltist 762H? If I am to spend the best part of $350 I want the best rod for the money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 12:46pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've a got a rod made up on the same blank, but blue rather than lime. Really nice stray lining rod, very similar action to the kilwell rocky. I use it with an 8000d baitrunner. 

I'm not sure how it would compare to the saltist rods, I haven't used or had a bend on them. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 4:08pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have two of the original rockys rods made by kilwell.....the pink panthers......they are over 20 years old now at least.....I have told this story many times hahaha....I fished the bricks for 15 years with them...biggest fish on it were an 18 pound snapper and a 48 pound king.........mine are one piece.......i used it with a 6500 baitrunner and a 4500 baitrunner and a stella 10,000.......the fact the lime tips two piece is handy.....you will get excellent back up service from kilwell for the life off the rod.....they are in Rotorua......one of my pink panther had the lacquer peeling after about 13 years.......they re did that bit for free.......thats customer support......get a good rod bag to look after it......can be used to pop and stickbait.....Find out what guides are on there.......hopefully they are fuji.......Just make a cash offer ! they might help you outWink
A long long long time ago....20 years man...pink panther in the background.

Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 6:54pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Snapjack Snapjack wrote:

I was referring to the 8ft 2pc, which Marine Deals are currently selling.

The 7ft 1pc are back in circulation. There's a shop selling them on trade me.

I live in Tauranga and want something decent to fish from the rocks. I will be using an 8000 baitrunner.

How would the lime-tip compare to a popper rod for the same purpose, such as a Saltist Hyper 792H or Saltist 762H? If I am to spend the best part of $350 I want the best rod for the money.

the 792H is a bit of a stick, the 762 would be a better all rounder.
another rod to look at would be the shimano BBE topwater rods, 8'3" and a good match for a baitrunner

lime tip sounds like a good option too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishstix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 12:03pm
Fishstix View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Heya

I'd had an eye on this for a while and picked one up recently when it was knocked down on Marine Deals.

There were only two left.

The first one I got I did a quick check and there was a nick in the final guide. I got a piece of line and slid it over it and it cut almost straight away!

I emailed them with a photo etc and then sent a replacement immediately which turned up a couple of days later and then I returned the faulty one.

I've only managed to get out once with it so far, seems a really nice rod, (was bad fishing so couldn't put it through its paces).

So far so good and excellent service from the marine deals guys.