raymarine charting

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: raymarine charting
    Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 4:50pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thinking if sneaking a new fishingfinder/chartplotter past the missus for my new boat.

bought a garmin dv 50 last year for my surtees and really liked the charting. felt the sounder was a bit disappointing.

best deals in a combo at the moment seem to be the raymarine. heard the sounder is quite good? bit have not heard about the charting. is it as good as the garmin G2?

any other options inhave missed in the $800 price range?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 1:41pm
Titanium
Titanium

anyone?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 1:59pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi CJ - i love my Raymarine in my fc390 I have just about sold. I will be ordering another for my new fc430 console.
I buy this unit for the price sure but believe it has the best sonar in this price range - at times in the lake earlier this year the base model was picking up sinker and 3 trout flies together with trout about to strike - fantastic stuff just like a video game.
In the salt could distinguish sonar targets and after a wee bit of practice could say what was kahawaii, mackeral, snapper, kings..
Charting to be honest not that important to me - I use the unit to find fish and so long as the gps can trail acurately, waypoint and have the major features charted that will do me. In fact I chose the lighthouse chart option - pretty simple charts really - same level as detail as approached to Akld navigational paper chart. Fine by me.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 7:34pm
Titanium
Titanium

thanks russ. time to do some shopping!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 8:00pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I found the light house charts less than ideal , very basic detail , some reasonable sized islands around coromandel not even shown , it is free or built into price but i personally prefer a bit more detail to assist looking for structure and change in contour. My opinion would be spend a little more initially or do a deal with a more detailed chart and be happy ever after.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 8:24pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes - maybe Im a cheap arse! Extra couple of hundy for Gold chart. 
I would be surprised if lighthouse chart missed out whole islands as supposed to be same as navigational charts produced by hydrographic office? You obviously know area there corokid - very bad form if they have been missed.

Lowrance hook 5 cheap as at moment - just over 8hundy with gold chart.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 8:41pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nah just differing opinion Russell. In the 390 dinghy probably ok for what you do . I have the Dragonfly7 in the haines , for heading out wide looking for contour , bottom descriptions etc , the added chart detail is required.
Also for my local use , location of marine farms comes in handy , especially at night . The lights on some of these are less than ideal at times.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 8:55am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That makes sense Dave - Im going to get the 7inch Dragonfly pro shortly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 7:21am
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

problem with raymarine is their touch screens react badly to spray or rain.  I was glad to see the back of mine, i reckon the Simrad GO7 is worth a look.  I bought a NSS7 evo2, better functionality all round.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 7:53am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Get the platinum charts and turn on extra detail, there's nothing wrong with the charting if you want good charts then for a proper ecdis, the ne update you can chart the deeps where you fish so you can get a better detail of where you fish.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery