Search For Missing Boatie

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Search For Missing Boatie
    Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 6:24am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi all hopes are fading for finding missing 18 year old off New Plymouth alive. For the sake of a few Crays and maybe loosing a pot or two, two blokes against advice not to go out in there small boat as it was ugly have flipped and one still missing. The sad part life jackets on board but not being worn. Another reminder how important to wear especially in rough conditions. Feelings go out to missing man and the other recovering in hospital........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 7:41am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Geoff.still dark at 6.09am?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 9:18am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

👎
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 9:48am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No luck involved ....just sayin
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 6:13pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 6:37pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Negligent!
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 8:22pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

He's only 18 guys. I did plenty of silly stuff then too.

I read about a young man that age in 'Sea Cockies of the Manukau' when one of the Brambly boys crossed the Manukau bar solo in a 14' dinghy powered by a little Seagull motor with a worsening forecast. He made it back alive and no doubt learnt a good lesson.

It appears this young man hasn't been so lucky. Would have made a great story if he had. Yes it appears foolish and a terrible waste of a young life but most of us have done stuff like that. Why didn't someone step up and stop him? We don't know the facts and I for one wouldn't want to judge him Broken Heart
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 9:55pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

At 18 they are just too young to know. No one has the knowledge of the sea at that age.
Very ,very tragic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 10:34pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

He's only 18 guys. I did plenty of silly stuff then too.

I read about a young man that age in 'Sea Cockies of the Manukau' when one of the Brambly boys crossed the Manukau bar solo in a 14' dinghy powered by a little Seagull motor with a worsening forecast. He made it back alive and no doubt learnt a good lesson.

It appears this young man hasn't been so lucky. Would have made a great story if he had. Yes it appears foolish and a terrible waste of a young life but most of us have done stuff like that. Why didn't someone step up and stop him? We don't know the facts and I for one wouldn't want to judge him Broken Heart

Good call Smudge, funnily how we forget all the stupid things we did as teenagers and twenty-somethings. Very Sad for all those involved this guy doesn't seem as lucky as we were.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 6:21am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Where is Anglers response Smudge? Sure it was a bit blunt but its the way alot of people see it down here. Talking to a mate last night, he knew alot more of the facts and the skipper, doesn't paint a pretty picture. There's no luck involved taking a small boat out into big seas with no lifejackets on, Its stupidity asking for trouble. Also down here in Feb of this year a similar tradgedy four metre boat, not wearing lifejackets flipped Waitara Bar. Skipper survived his mate dead, he was charged with manslaughter. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 6:31am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

There's plenty of skippers responsibility all right and for all I know the guy might take risks like that all the time. Or it may have been just one act of bravado, like most others commenting, I don't know.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 6:46am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Snappa Geoff Snappa Geoff wrote:

Where is Anglers response Smudge? Sure it was a bit blunt but its the way alot of people see it down here. Talking to a mate last night, he knew alot more of the facts and the skipper, doesn't paint a pretty picture. There's no luck involved taking a small boat out into big seas with no lifejackets on, Its stupidity asking for trouble. Also down here in Feb of this year a similar tradgedy four metre boat, not wearing lifejackets flipped Waitara Bar. Skipper survived his mate dead, he was charged with manslaughter. 
Very sad and unfortunately what some 18 year olds get up to, look at what happens on roads.
Haven't seen Anglers post but I imagine the family involved would probably find it distressing?  Do we tell it as we see it or keep quiet?
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 9:14am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Tell it as you see it Mac, I'm just expressing my opinion like everyone else.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 9:39am
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bummer :( poor kid, I Hope they can at least recover him for the family. In my teens I did some seriously dumb stuff like most have, thankfully for me I got out of a lot of anything life threatening in one piece. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 9:57am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am sick and tired of the "tread lightly for your tread on someone's feelings" brigade.

It is IMHO one of the reasons we continue to see this sort of stupidity. We cannot sit back and say "he/she  was only 16/18/20, what bad luck" and expect anything to improve.

We must point out, and I think vociferously, that this was a DUMB thing to do, get in a small boat in bad conditions with no lifejacket.

Only by saying this loudly and often when these things happen do we stand a chance of getting through to the next person standing on a beach or boat ramp looking at the waves but eager to retrieve that net or pot or catch that fish. 

Do you want him/her to make that decision based on whether they feel lucky today?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 9:58am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It is just stupidity. I've done much the same (not on boats) and lived to tell the tale. Racing a car down Wellington's Brooklyn hill on my MTB and missing oncoming traffic by 30cm if that. Now I have kids of my own I really don't want to think of the stupid stuff that they will do when older. 

Thoughts are with the parents and family.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:07am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just looked at the video on Stuff. Looks like a 5m Stabicraft, Senator or similar. 90hp Yamaha and well maintained. So there was some bad luck involved. I was thinking that they'd be in a Fryan or Ramco or similar. Sounds like they got caught side on to a wave, possibly while retrieving a pot? Should really have had lifejackets on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:24am
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by SaltyC SaltyC wrote:

I am sick and tired of the "tread lightly for your tread on someone's feelings" brigade.

It is IMHO one of the reasons we continue to see this sort of stupidity. We cannot sit back and say "he/she  was only 16/18/20, what bad luck" and expect anything to improve.

We must point out, and I think vociferously, that this was a DUMB thing to do, get in a small boat in bad conditions with no lifejacket.

Only by saying this loudly and often when these things happen do we stand a chance of getting through to the next person standing on a beach or boat ramp looking at the waves but eager to retrieve that net or pot or catch that fish. 

Do you want him/her to make that decision based on whether they feel lucky today?

Not true... You can say it as loud and proud as you like but teens and muppets alike know better. I see it plenty, massive seas and guys still heading out in small boats or off the bricks to areas you know are getting hammered by big seas. When you make comment to them about how big or rough things are they give you a smirk and carry on there way... After 9 years of the same stuff and having seen 4 different customers over the years not return or have some pretty nasty injuries from it I don't honestly think there's a lot that can be said to discourage folks willing to go out in the rough... 

Beach and boat about 5 years ago, All the 6m + boats are still tied up in the marina. And about 4 small craft 4m ish headed out, the wind had dropped off from 50+ knots about half an hour earlier but the sea was massive. CG had to go and rescue a few of them... the rest of the day got cancelled... It was pretty obvious to us tied up, but apparently not so for some others in smaller craft. Go figure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:57am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hookerpuka, I think you missed my point. What you say reinforces what I am saying.

We don't say "DUMB and STUPID" often enough and loud enough to create the background noise that will make people stop and think.

If you try and tell people at the point of departure you will merely cause the macho factor to kick in .. "I can do it, I'm not scared of a few waves, I'll show you how good I am etc ..."

We need to have said every time there is an incident , DUMB, STUPID, etc not unlucky...

It's a bit like education, you have to say things repeatedly to get them to sink in. I am not saying you will get through to everyone but you will certainly, imho, get through to a lot more than you will by telling people fatalities were just unlucky.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 11:01am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sadly you're right HP, if someone is determined to do something unwise usually no amount of argument will persuade them not to.  That doesn't make it any less tragic for those left to pick up the pieces though.  As a parent I can't imagine what his family are going through right now and I really do hope they manage to find him and bring him home to them.

Page  12>