what spray is best for protection on the motor.

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MartinMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what spray is best for protection on the motor.
    Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 9:40am
MartinMac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just removed the cowling after boat not been used last couple of months since doing a the tralier refurb. Noticed a build up of salt in a few places. The lower spark plug has rusted up a bit too. What's the best spray to use. I've got fish oil, lanocote , marine crc , and inox mx3 . There's already a film of stuff on it already from previous service. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 10:50am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Inox
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 11:26am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My mechanic (mercury 50hp 2 S) said good idea to wash around power head every few months with a few litres of water (don't spray) to pick up salt that builds up and yes spray with Inox (keep spray away from brushes in starter motor). 
So after using motor, wash motor before running to flush with fresh water and tilt motor to let water drain off and residual warmth from flushing will help too, leave cowling off that day so can dry off as well.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 11:52am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I've used Inox, Silicon, Lanocote...all are good, although the silicon does tend to burn off more than lnox/Lanocote. Main thing is as you say...get rid of the salt build up first, dry, then spray..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 12:05pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

CRC marine in a little trigger spray bottle.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 2:45pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I kept getting salt build up around the engine as well. I traced it to the transducer kicking up spray which was hitting the underside of the motor and some must have been getting sucked in. I wash the engine from above with a very light spray every few trips and let dry. I have sprayed it with a Rocol corrosion protection spray which has lasted very well probably 10-20 trips. I also made up a cover for the transducer to stop the spray.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MartinMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 4:23pm
MartinMac View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers chaps. A habit I must get in to more I guess with the motor getting spray as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 5:27pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Talk to a few outboard mechanic.. they will near alltell u stay away from CRC type products.. long term damage to electrical insulation and stuff.
Mentioned above and often in threads about setting up transducers...spray getting sucked into engine compartment... long term serious damage.
A thread not long ago on transducer cover... mine is a 5L plastic container mounted sideways over, bottom between transducer mount and stern.
Engine get cover off after ever trip.. just let dry out if need be.. doesnt need drying, no salt.
Every few months... or if need to give a rinse off (servicing time.. it gets a good mist cover of lanolin spray.. along with other components under the dash, battery, and parts of the trailer

BUT in a heavy storm when parked up water.. rain water... used to get inside the cowl vents....So made up a neat fitting cover as the $30 brought ones fit baggy, untidy.
Get rain water in and combine that with any salt spray and a hot day stored, internal condensation and asking for problems long term
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 5:50pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well not crc.
Inbox definetly.
Soapy water wash, let air dry and then inox.
Best maintenance is frequent.

Spray of saltwater is a killer to the engine.
A lot is fine mist which is also a reason for long leg outboards.
This helps keep the engine air intake as far away from the atomised salt water that your carberuttors are breathing.

Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ShaunQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 2:14am
ShaunQ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Boeshield T9, not sure where it's available in NZ but you can buy it online here in OZ. I use it under cowling and on electric bow motor, goes on very wet but dries to a nice waxy film.

http://boeshield.com/why-boeshield/

It's more available in an aerosol can, ie expensive, but if you can buy it in liquid form and use a cheap spray bottle for application. I get it through my old job at an aircraft hangar :)

It's used extensively in the aircraft industry so safe on electrical connections and handles temperature extremes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 8:43am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Talk to a few outboard mechanic.. they will near alltell u stay away from CRC type products.. long term damage to electrical insulation and stuff.

That may be more to do with the propellant in the aerosol variety than anything else. 

For example lanocote aerosol can damage some plastic,  lanocote grease doesn't (I learned that the hard way).

I can only report my on experience which is ... CRC 6.66 pump (not aerosol) spray after every trip since 1987.  Selectively applied to corrosion risk points.  The only electrical issue I have ever had was corrosion of bare metal when I forgot to grease something.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 9:25am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"That may be more to do with the propellant in the aerosol variety than anything else." 
Gklad you added "may"
 who ever told you that said it thru the wrong hole.
In the late 70s SC Johnson worldwide recognised the early 'greenie' reports coming out of the effect of Freon (propellent and refrigerant) on ozone layer.. and within a very short time..less than 12 months (from memory) converted .. world wide all their aerosol propellants to LPG blends (butane, propane, iso butane) and in some products CO2.
A huge marketing coupé in its day... in a short time all major produces.. Recketts etc.. also change and legislation along with it.
LPG gas tend to ne inherit, non toxic, and very volatile (evaporate near instantly unless in conditions well below Zero temps.).. or put another way if that cold the aerosol can doesnt work.
The other gases used for propellants are CO2 and nitrogen.. if they where a issue then our claimed 'effected parts' would be deteriorating far faster in normal atmosphere that has far greater concentrations.

I can only report my on experience which is ... CRC 6.66 pump (not aerosol) spray after every trip since 1987.

Personally I have serious doubts that marine CRC type products actually do harm electrical insulation, (In spite on my comments above)components...unless those components maybe aftermarket lower grade 'chinese' type. These components be outboard or automotive are made to stand up to the very high temps and and a very high and varied hydro carbon environment.. for decades on on end.
 It maybe possible that.  With long term use in dusty or high salt conditions the build of of these becomes enough to cause arking of high tension lines, and electrical leakage... even across the top of a car/ boat battery.
If so the issue is NOT the product, but rather a lack of maintenance and cleanliness....something many state above.. they keep the engine washed and clean also.
 I do know people who constantly spray these type of products to keep a clean LOOKING automotive engine.. or use to 'fix' a sparking issue (eg moisture in a distributor) eventually end up with aching/ cross fire / al sorts of weird electrical feed back issues

These sprays are not designed to keep an engine free of salt / dust.. they are to seal and prevent corrosion BETWEEN cleans. It is the cowl and well mounted motors and transducers that prevent excessive/ fast build up.

I use lanolin rather than CRC type products because
1/ I may on an outsde chance be wrong on the above and mechanics be right.. inspite of many decades of automotive experiance.
2/ CRC products will tend to creep down over time on vertical surfaces.. lanolin no where as much to nil
3/Lanolin comes with centuries of proven consistent history as lube and sealant, from skin to mechanics.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LED House Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 10:21am
LED House View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys,

You can not go past this Motorex Joker 440
http://www.motorexusa.com/products/maintenance/joker-440-synthetic

Used this for a while now, leaves a great none sticky residue, won't swell your rubber hoses or electrically connectors. I haven't personally used a better product.
Salt just falls off it.

Ive only ever brought from Makz Gear here in Tauranga
http://www.makzgear.co.nz/

About $24 for a 500ML Can
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 6:43pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

www.prolan.co.nz
Lanolin based NZ Made products.
I use the HG formula.
Leaves a tacky residue that has lasted 90 hours to date.
As others have stated,I avoided spraying near brushes and the compressor belt.
Sprayed entire trailer too.
Has held up very well,great product with great support if needed.
Cheerz.
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 4:36pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

"  aerosol propellants to LPG blends (butane, propane, iso butane)

Personally I have serious doubts that marine CRC type products actually do harm electrical insulation, (In spite on my comments above)components...unless those components maybe aftermarket lower grade 'chinese' type.

Butane and similar hydrocarbons are solvents of some plastics.  From personal experience lanocote aerosol is a solvent of the plastic casing on the cheap little monochrome Lowrance sounders.  Oops.

The guff for CRC 66 says it doesn't affect plastics, but despite that CRC also make 2.26 for electrics and describe that as safe for all plastics so who knows ....?

Certainly there is no sign of any over-spray causing bleaching, cracking, pitting, or solvent action on any insulation in my outboards.  The wiring all looks like new.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 6:16pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use silicone spray
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 6:25pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Butane and similar hydrocarbons are solvents of some plastics.

And name the similar..along with there molecular weights / boiling points etc..

LPG solvents used as a propellant are used to pressurise the can.. if those propellants say in a deodorant manage to get to the skin, it has strong potential to cause chemical burns....
Hence why those who fill lpg bottles MUST by LAW wear suitable gloves
If one manages to spray a can of paint thick.. it will boil/ bubble  (along with run and make a big mess) this boiling is the LPG  boiling off.. which means , even very heavy solvent based products like enamel paint have the lower boiling piont solvents boil off before hitting the surface.
Now add further stuff... the LPG and product is sprayed in a very fine atomised form, creating huge surface areas around all the tiny droppets... hence the LPG has boiled off way before it even gets close to what ever u are spraying and blown away in the breeze.

Now IF u are using a LPG / butane/ iso butane propane BBQ, lamp or automotive  fuel...where like petrol, by law must be made of suitable resistant materials, approved sealants and appropriate pressures...THEN butane and other similar hydro chemical... hexane heptane etc will attack ....and if dont use will result in rather a big 'pop' to say the least.

And when it comes to your sounder it maybe that something else had in that area...even something like soft bait attractant left on your fingers...

physically the LPG propellent will not reach the surface, and if it does, you will have a big puddle, and even then it will boil off within a few seconds...Basic physical chemistry , boiling points etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 8:14pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

English please
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 7:30am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"physically the LPG propellent will not reach the surface, and if it does, you will have a big puddle, and even then it will boil off within a few seconds...Basic physical chemistry , boiling points etc"

At the end...

Even so I have put in a Lay Person manner as best as I can rather go into the more correct technically chemical terminology. with example to illustrate these properties that most people have had some experience doing... eg using a aerosol paint can and under arm deodorant.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 9:57am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And when it comes to your sounder it maybe that something else had in that area...even something like soft bait attractant left on your fingers...

No it was the aerosol. The sounder was fresh out of the box and my hands were clean.  I am not the only person who has made this particular error.

Directed stream of lanocote into the socket.  A transient puddle was formed and some damage was occurred to the plastic.
Page  12>