overhead inchiku/kabura setup

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Situasian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: overhead inchiku/kabura setup
    Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 8:45pm
Situasian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi guys
I have been a spinning reel man all these years. I got hooked into the kabura/inchiku etc. and like everyone says I have found the fish tends to bite at the drop. The thing is I am very slow and dull, the hookup rate at drop is low, so I am thinking of buying me an overhead setup (very good excuse for new tackle). I am budgeting for around $500, may be up to $600. Tried to do some research and the bang for the buck reel seems to be the Okuma citrix or ducro 10, the okuma nano matrix being the rod. Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Would probably use lures 80~150g range. Good second hand probably be best option looking at my budget
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 7:18am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Send Downtown a PM he is selling a mint Curado 300EJ which would be mint for what you want cracking reels I have one too. 

Rod wise 

http://www.gofish.co.nz/rods-reels/fishing-rods/kayak-rods/hearty-rise-tachio-overhead-rod-b601-4.html

These are really nice for the money good alrounders too.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 7:46am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use a nanometrix rod for slow jigs of that size, and have an Andros 5N reel on it that I like.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 11:26am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Muppet knows his stuff, and Hearty Rise make great rods. i've got a cracking Hearty Rise soft bait rod from Go Fish.

But just to put ideas in the mix, here's a potential option from Marine Deals this weekend. $200. Add the Curado and bingo.
Daiwa's Lexa 300 is another good option in baitcasters.

http://www.marine-deals.co.nz/cd-rods-nano-slow-jig-rod-6ft-3in-50-150g

Covers a good weight range. From the same distributor as Okuma.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 1:42pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I used Calcutta 201D on Majorcraft Corzza 6'9" baitcast rod. For kaubras you want fairly soft tipped rod to set the hook as you wind up but all of the above options will do the job
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 5:55pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Calcutta 201 or Ducro 10 for me, both in LH wind option. Solid alloy bodies, also got a new handle for my Calcutta.
Curado 300 would be great, I used the 201 but they felt underpowered....but no LH wind in 300.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 10:54pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Worth looking at the Okuma Metalloid 5n. Extra grunt should you hit something bigger than snapper. Okuma is making some good value overheads at the moment.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reeldeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 7:05am
reeldeal View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Avet SXJ 5.3
www.madfin.co.nz Home of Avet reels New Zealand
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Situasian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 7:40pm
Situasian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So many options, which I expected... I kind of wish there was one set where everyone went yup thats the combo you want nothing else Smile I'm gonna have to decide in the next couple of days on the set as just yesterday as my stradic decided it wanted to dive into the hauraki gulf
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Situasian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 4:33pm
Situasian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Finally decided on the setup. Went little bit overboard with the budget and ordered a daiwa lexa 300hs-p and the hearty rise rod. Thanks for all your input much appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 4:45pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sweet you will enjoy that rod fishing the spring work ups. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 7:16pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Situasian Situasian wrote:

Finally decided on the setup. Went little bit overboard with the budget and ordered a daiwa lexa 300hs-p and the hearty rise rod. Thanks for all your input much appreciated

Great choice, I've never used either myself but by all accounts that sounds like a good combo. I love using inchikus and the last year or so I have only had a spinning reel. While it's ok, well pretty good actually I do prefer a baitcaster for them. I gave my last baitcaster to my father in law but I have a shiny new one now just in time for those spring snapper.

Springtime is great for jigs IMO.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Situasian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 8:28pm
Situasian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yup agreed. Started using slow jigs since last year and got addicted. Used stradic ci4 but noticed the bite happened as soon as the spool was closed, which I presume the lures would have been getting hit on the drop. I swore by spinning reels but hey people do change
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 8:32pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have a Stradic too James, lovely reels but those baitcasters are good eh!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 11:56pm
Titanium
Titanium

A bit optimistic to expect consensus among anglers, Situasian!! Whether its boat formats, rod and reel brands, lines, soft bait styles, etc etc, you'll get strong and usually divergent opinions. 
But it's certainly worth asking for input and then making a judgement call.

There are a number of factors which people weigh up when deciding the benefits of overhead/baitcasters v spin in terms of inchiku fishing. The key ones seem to be:
  • the drop - how to detect takes, and speed at getting to the bottom
  • letting out line as you drift, to keep your lure on the bottom (thumbing overhead v bail arm open and closing, unless you hold the line in your hand?) 
  • speed of retrieve
But even experts like Paul Senior - who did a lot to popularise inchiku fishing - waver.  In all of his early articles on inchikus, it was all overhead/baitcaster for Paul, end of story. Then a couple of years ago he did a total u-turn - mainly based on the speed at getting to the bottom when you arrive at fish. With no tension on the line, your lure will get to the bottom much faster with spin reels, and probably wind up faster as well, either for a re-set or with a fish on.
The top spin reel exponents are able to detect takes on the drop by spotting if the line either stops or speeds up.

Another factor for some people is the way you hold the rod during fish fighting - underhand or overhand. Some people prefer the leverage of spin v overhead.

I use overhead in the work-ups, but the best snapper I've seen caught in Hauraki Gulf work-ups was a genuine 20lber on a spin set-up, by a very lucky woman angler.

Good luck with the new set. I've got that reel and it's a sweet operator. I'd recommend you don't go much heavier than 10lb non-fused braid - such as Sufix 832 or similar. Less drag in 40-50m of water, and more than enough grunt.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 5:28pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If buying Japanese braid look for PE 0.8-1.5. Unlikely you'll be using more than 2kg of drag at any time, so 8kg real breaking strain is as much as you will be needing at a max. If getting US type line look for 6lb-10lb as Tamure says. 

I've found overheads far superior to spin for jigs myself. Easier to know whats going on. Spin is good if you are casting out. You can keep in touch as the lure falls as then. I know experts can make it work with both, but I need all the advantages I can get.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Situasian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 6:33pm
Situasian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hopefully ill be able to get out next sunday and have a play with the new toy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote museyak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 9:52am
museyak View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi all is 20 pound braid too much for inchiku/ kabura fishing on my trinidad reel ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 10:31am
Titanium
Titanium

There are others with more expert knowledge than me, eg. Kaveman, but for basic work-up fishing for snapper over open territory, I'd say yes. Go lighter in terms of stated breakage.

Most of the 8-strand non-fused lines break at way above the stated poundage - as others have said, better to look at the diameter.
Thinner = faster to the bottom, better action, and less drag.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote museyak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 11:54am
museyak View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ok got it spooled with 20 pound jbraid when I bought it a month ago ill give it a try. And try my sb reel too thats got 10 lb on
Page  12>