Ocea pencil V Orca v starwalker

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ocea pencil V Orca v starwalker
    Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 8:12pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A few years ago i tested the shimano ocea pencil and the starwalker with different rigs
a) with 3/0 trebles
b) with 7/0 inlines
I found both fished better with singles.......the trebles weighed them down and the lure was slow to pop its head....
        I tried the orcas(185) the other day with inline singles and i didnt think they swam well.........not as good as the two already mentioned.....
I will try with two 3/0 trebs and .one treb on belly and a single tail.....
       Even from video i have seen from underwater on the orcas.......they dont look to swim as well as the starwalker or the ocea pencil........I bought a 220F ocea recently...........
Its basically a big orca......so the ocea name is a bit misleading.....tried with singles on that.....it wasnt that good either..........so far i am not a huge fan of orcas.........the shape of the pencils is different and i believe that groove under the chin is what its all about..........those have rattles in them.
          interested to hear other peoples thoughts or how they have rigged their orcas?....trebles just kill the starwalker and ocea pencil.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 9:34pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Doin the yard there Jon. Good onya mate!
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 3:04am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by PE Pete PE Pete wrote:

Doin the yard there Jon. Good onya mate!
Thanks pete...i am going to fart about with them and see what i can do....one place suggest 6/0 and 7/0 inlines but i was using 8/0 inlines with the 220F......its a great size ......decoy 8/0 looks a good size hook for the size of lure.......will see if the 7/0 are better....or a treble belly and single tail.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 7:49am
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

so are you running two singles on the starwalkers?
need to go over mine and sort out hooks for them.
cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 9:22am
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

just buy a blue fish LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 3:32pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by DenimViper DenimViper wrote:

just buy a blue fish LOL
I have a 120 one of them and i swear its cursed LOL........
everything seemed to go wrong
bail arm flew over
wouldnt swim well
hooks get caught on the leader
tried to cast it without the bail arm open hahahaha
wind knot....
          Bloody thing hates me for some reason lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 4:04pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by rockz rockz wrote:

so are you running two singles on the starwalkers?
need to go over mine and sort out hooks for them.
cheers.
you using the longer ones......i think they come in 165 an 185 approx......floaters and sinkers....
I know chris wong(the agent) uses a single inline off the back......
I use shogun viper inline 7/0(X2) on them and they go nice........particularly short stabs.......but long sweeps as well......unfortunately they have stopped making the shoguns(cant fathom why?)....the head pops back up pretty quick ...ready for the next sweep with the inlines.....it takes ages with the trebles.
mustad/jigstar/decoy all do 7/0 but not many have a welded eye.....the shoguns did...BKK do a welded eye 7/0 but the eye is pretty small ...not so much freedom with a split ring.
If you want cheap and not too bad......the mustads are good to go.Wink
here we go...the decoy pictured is 8/0 but i use 7/0 on the starwalker........the decoys and the bottom hooks are more expensive.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 6:36pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

just buy a blue fish LOL
I have a 120 one of them and i swear its cursed LOL........
everything seemed to go wrong
bail arm flew over
wouldnt swim well
hooks get caught on the leader
tried to cast it without the bail arm open hahahaha
wind knot....
          Bloody thing hates me for some reason lol

Ill swap you a used Orca for the cursed thing. Have caught kingis on it in the Gulf, West coast and the Mokes LOLLOLLOL
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 9:20pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cool mate, cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 4:53am
Titanium
Titanium

Trout...I know they are legendary.....i will have to get mine exorcised Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 9:52am
Platinum
Platinum

Get your hands on some Shimano Ocea Head Dip. I think its the ultimate stickbait in the Shimano range. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 7:22pm
Titanium
Titanium

oh yeah.......they look just like this...this is a 220F 
but i will certainly consider...ThanksWink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 8:34pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i've got a 165 starwalker and a packet of vipers, are the 7s too big for that?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rockz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 8:34pm
rockz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Get your hands on some Shimano Ocea Head Dip. I think its the ultimate stickbait in the Shimano range. 

are these in nz?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 10:23pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by rockz rockz wrote:

i've got a 165 starwalker and a packet of vipers, are the 7s too big for that?
Thats a good question .........stick em on and do a visual.......does it look appropriate? ..........then go and see how they swim....
      You are lucky to have the vipers......Id get a pack of 6/0 ......maybe the mustard and try them too.........the worst thing you can do to any lure is weigh them down too much and ruin their action.....
an 8mm split ring might be better with your lure too.....owner or decoy/heavy (my favorite)Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 10:26pm
Platinum
Platinum

Head Dip will not be introduced to NZ according to Tony Orton but plenty to choose from online. Plat stock them 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 3:51am
Titanium
Titanium

Denim...Ref the head dip.....I got a couple from Japan mate.(off e bay australia).....the guys english was awful but he tried really hard..they will be available in Aussie soon....no hooks supplied but came with split rings....most have sold out over here.Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 9:13am
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

Denim...Ref the head dip.....I got a couple from Japan mate.(off e bay australia).....the guys english was awful but he tried really hard..they will be available in Aussie soon....no hooks supplied but came with split rings....most have sold out over here.Wink

Have you taken them for a swim yet??

It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 5:44am
Titanium
Titanium

No.......i ordered them ...so i could take on my nz trip recently but they failed to arrive before i took off............I might give them a cast when i go up north(I am in perth WA)
They recommend 4/0 trebles on em but the owner ones look massive..........i took some off some sebille big splasher 190..........they fall somewhere in between a owner st66 3/0 and an Owner st66 4/0..........to me .....they look the perfect size as they are pretty short arrrrse lures(175mm)...dont want to ruin their action..........will let you know how they go......might be good for Gt's.
Wouldnt mind having a play with inline singles as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 9:06am
Platinum
Platinum

laidback there are plenty stocked here, no language barrier to deal with either

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/default/language/en/cPath/31_444_972_2383/fishing-lure/off-shore/shimano/head-dip.html
Page  12>