70's 80's tohatsu barge prop

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70's 80's tohatsu barge prop
    Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 6:44pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

a mate of mine has a 6m trailer sailor that hes set up as kind of a small launch he has an 8hp tohatsu (well 2 but only uses one at a time) gets along at about 5 knots just which is all he wants as its set up to spend a few days at a time.... hes only got the standard props on his outboards and hes asked me to try and find barge props like sailors use he knows he wont gain much speed but hoping to gain better handling etc. on rougher water

we had it out yesterday to do some testing in the rougher stuff and.... he and all on-board for very impressed with the way the boat handled in a reassembly rough sea but we reckon there's things to gain by having the right prop

anyone have anything or know where to get props for motors that old? also has an 18hp of around the same year range tohatsu he plans to try on it which personally I reckon would suit it better
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 7:27am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I gather its a pin drive prop, as i have one as well. The prop fits on my 8 hp honda too, but the honda barge prop dosent fit the tohatsu, a bit of machining would make it fit though. These props are available, get in touch with a prop shop.
I get better speed out of the honda with the barge prop on it, as opposed to the tohatsu.
Bear in mind that a 6 m trailer sailer will have a hull speed of about 6 knots. Any faster will only chew up gas. We used to get 5knts on a 4.5 hp merc on a 20 ft keeler. The 18 hp may help if there is bad weather, but it may not significantly alter your speed.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 5:26pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah thanks for that info yes its a pin drive has a shear pin through the shaft which locks into the matching part on the prop yeah I know 6 knots will be about it for a displacement hull but hopeing to gain a little more control on windy days

last Saturday we were getting blown sideways about 2 m for every 10 forward and got blown out of deep water into shallows a couple times had to then turn the boat into the wind and get back to deep water before turning back on corse I was hoping that a barge prop would push harder (no faster) somewhat slowing the drift rate and better control when turning as well

8hp is very good on gas 3 hrs there 3 hrs back (with the tide) and 10lts of gas used
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 7:31am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A barge prop wont help you to stop drifting sideways. It may help ina headwind, but with 8 hp i suspect you hull speed is the limiting factor.
re the sideways drift, you need to use a technique called ferry gliding, used when tryingto cross a river, you dont aim at where ou want to go, you aim upstream. In yiur case aim more in to the wind, rather that where you want to go, the boat will more or less travel to where you want to go anyway.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 8:58am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did you try dropping the centreboard to correct the sideways movement? Those hulls typically have almost zero resistance to going sideways without the board down. Try calling the guy at Nauti Bitz in the Helensville area. He used to be the prop shop in Glenfield and has a shed full of old props etc.