Woohoo - inaugral Taupo troll

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woohoo - inaugral Taupo troll
    Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 3:17pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yes! My boat has not been in fresh water ever, other than the torrential winter downpours of north Auckland.
If the planets align, next week the wee 6m boat could be sitting waiting at a Taupo lakeside motel for a few days,.

Any hints, tips, advice for someone who hasn't been there since he left school some 30 years ago (Ha 6th form school camp at Western Bay was...educational )
I vaguely remember trolling a few times and a bit of fly fishing, but the plan would be to pick a day weather wise and go trolling.

So....what do I need to know?
Hoping to use just my lighweight spin and/or overhead saltwater setups.

Is it best launch at the ramp by the Waikato river mouth.
I have to buy a licence somewhere.

.....what else...go troll a black Cobra on 10lb braid spin rod 100m from the western shoreline?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 3:34pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Trolling , wash your mouth out . Jigging or fly fishing is where it's at .
Jigging , just scale down what you already fairly sorted with.
Just keep an eye out for some road kill , tie a few flies , all sorted. 
Obviously get license and become familiar with regs, I don,t lake fish .
I got a bit of spare road kill so could probably flick you some tied to some hooks if you short. 
Have a good one.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 3:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by corokid corokid wrote:

Trolling , wash your mouth out . Jigging or fly fishing is where it's at .
Jigging , just scale down what you already fairly sorted with.
Just keep an eye out for some road kill , tie a few flies , all sorted. 
Obviously get license and become familiar with regs, I don,t lake fish .
I got a bit of spare road kill so could probably flick you some tied to some hooks if you short. 
Have a good one.

I have very little experience with any of that stuff, but hey - why hold back Big smile.

I agree with Corokid, you're more a jigging with flies kind of guy Espresso. I tried it on Rotoiti a year ago, was pretty cool. I've tried trolling too many years ago. A relaxing way to use petrol for sure and pretty productive , but ...

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 4:27pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hey thanks guys, yeah OK I'll do the jig thing...what a hoot!

Hmm, so there are gannets right?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 4:31pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No....., shags.
You done trout jigging before? It is pretty different from salt water eh.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ozone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 4:55pm
ozone View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

It's like slow jigging but a little slower.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 5:02pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

The most important thing to remember Grant, is to only fish between two hours either side of high tide !
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 5:21pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Grant - if you want to troll you can borrow my lead line if you like - has 10 lead line  colours on it. With all of them out you are fishing 15m to 17m depending on speed. Try to target 2 knots?
Where - follow the commercial operators or keep an eye on your fish finder screen.
I find at this time of year if trolling only 5-6 colours out with a black toby will get you a fish or two.
Jigging - normally best llate spring, summer and autumn but again just keep an eye on your fish finder and look 15- 25m (in summer up to 65m). You use a 2oz sinker and a 3 fly "sabiki" type rig.
If you want to borrow the rod call me in the shop , we have the pre tied jig rigs too.

Im down there 10th to 14th August and will be taking boat - will be mainly fly fishing though.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 6:56pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Jigging, trolling, harling or whatever .... your prime target area would have be about 200 mtrs out from the ruins of the old Lake Taupo whaling station at Waihi, which is not far from Turangi.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 8:56pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's the thin end of the wedge Grant, it started witha  bit of trolling for me 20 of years ago, once a year on the family trip to waikareoana, nek minute you're buying $1000fly rods, and forgoing February Marlin fishing for Stalking browns in the Tonga.

Stop while you still can Grant, I'm telling ya, don't let it happen to you like it did to the rest of us in here.....

But if you have to, with the gear you have, just get yerself some Pat Swift jigging flies and head for places like stump bay.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote livin4fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 5:37am
livin4fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ramps are user pays there to... Tackle shop down by water front hires rods etc if you need them
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise: Lewis Carroll

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 8:46am
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

It's the thin end of the wedge Grant, it started witha  bit of trolling for me 20 of years ago, once a year on the family trip to waikareoana, nek minute you're buying $1000fly rods, and forgoing February Marlin fishing for Stalking browns in the Tonga.

Stop while you still can Grant, I'm telling ya, don't let it happen to you like it did to the rest of us in here.....

But if you have to, with the gear you have, just get yerself some Pat Swift jigging flies and head for places like stump bay.
Pretty much sums it up.
Probably more fight winding your marlin livebait back in than playing a trout on several metres of lead line. Down rigger with your light spin/jigging sets up would be my preference if I were to troll. Saying that , got to work with what you set up with. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 9:27am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Wow, most awesome guys, many thanks

Ha, yeah I hear what ya say re: new fishing toys! Yes I guess I can be categorized as a typical bling-attracted fisherman. How'd ya know?!

I have a down rigger. I have watched a few online jigging videos for trout now - yes much less action than salties.

One thing I do remember from growing up in Wairakei just north of Taupo was the COLD...a big reason why I am now living north of Auckland.

I'll call in to Fish City RF, obviously I need at least some new stuff

Here's hoping it all comes together..

One thing...the wind, I know it chops up on the lake, but say in comparison I look at 15-20kts in the gulf and can fish it, its about my limit, but realistically 10-15 to be enjoyable...so the same conditions on the big lake with the same wind? , hmm I guess except the wind against tide factor.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 2:49am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Espresso Espresso wrote:

Wow, most awesome guys, many thanks

One thing...the wind, I know it chops up on the lake, but say in comparison I look at 15-20kts in the gulf and can fish it, its about my limit, but realistically 10-15 to be enjoyable...so the same conditions on the big lake with the same wind? , hmm I guess except the wind against tide factor.

If the wind comes up on the lake it tends to be more of a short rolling chop than at sea, which can be a problem for a smaller boat & even be a bit uncomfortable in a bigger one. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 9:02pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Launching your boat.
If you are staying in Taupo or close by you have a number of options.
The boat ramp at the main harbour.
Rainbow Point on the way to the airport.
Accacia Bay on the Western side.
A short drive to Kinloch will put you in the Western Bays - large cliffs which become drop offs for jigging.
That is 4 days - how long are you there for?