Haines or buccaneer or rayglass

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Haines or buccaneer or rayglass
    Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 7:33am
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi guys, have just sold my 5.6m buccaneer and wishing to buy bigger 6.5-7m around 2000 year era.... Would like some real world opinions on these boats, want an all rounder, but I mainly do fishing. My wife wants a bigger cabin, and prefer a toilet too.
Don't want an Aluminium boat..
I find a lot of boat test hardly talk about the ride much, a boat wake is not a test. So mainly interested in ride, if it roughs up and gets a bit unpleasant
Cheers in advance
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 9:27am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The 5.6 buccaneer... well all modern cabin boats have pokey cabins that are just dont meet the use you describe...mainly because the helm has been moved forward which give a little more room to f and changes the boat balance allowing for smaller cheaper engines they can market the boats with.... which is why we have gone to a commander... Toilet/ cooker/ good under seat storage etc
If we have the means, and yes definitely look a lot.
personally I would go for the Rayglass or buccaneer
Have friends with a buccaneer 635...which works very well for the requirements you describe... a cabin better laid out and slightly bigger  than the commander
And someone else has a ray glass  same use, also ideal a little more flash.. but nothing wrong with the buccaneer either

And make sure they are well powered..that not makes a huge difference to economy etc but also to how it rides in choppy water
ie a buccaneer is nicely powered with well propped a 200 hp

If it was me I would have the wife look at both and see what see prefers... then look around seriously for one that meets the power  age trailer condition etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote No Regrets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2016 at 8:45pm
No Regrets View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

It would hard to go past a tristram boat, great ride, finish and holds it Value for resale.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 10:01am
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So would it be safe to assume all these boats have a similar ride? And it's just down to layout and looks/finish etc.
It just hate a boat that bang bang bangs and that requires you to have a spine replacement after each trip...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 8:29am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well powered makes a huge difference as to how well the boat rides
So its hard to compare same hulls between min power or under power and well powered .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 9:05am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have a chat with Raging Bull on here for his thoughts regarding the larger Buccaneers.  He has had a couple of these at different lengths so should be able to tell you the pros and cons. 

Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Trolley Bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 10:03am
Trolley Bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I can't comment about Buccaneers and Rayglass as I've spent little time on them but have owned 2 Haines Hunters and they are easily the best riding boats I've ever been in. Both were the 660s, one a hardtop and the other bimini. If you after a great riding sea boat (and who doesn't) I'd definitely suggest a ride in a Haines. 660 is a great model as it's 7.3m in length from bow to stern and actually has more fishing space than the 700 HH. The hardtop on the 700 comes back further into the cockpit to create more space in the cabin so it can be a bit crampt fishing 4 off the back. I went for the 660 simply for the increased fishing space. The downside to a HH is that they have been left a bit behind in the interior styling department. They have barely changed a thing over 10-15 years whilst other boats such as the rayglass and Tristram have beautiful interiors. I spend a day on a brand new Tristram 691 HT last summer on Taupo and whilst it was a beautiful boat it didn't handle the chop anywhere near as good as the HH.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 5:55pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the info people, any rayglass owners out there?
I do like the look of the 660 hh
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 6:51pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some of that can be attributed to a skipper not knowing how to drive and trim to the conditions.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 7:27am
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a different experience on HH, a new SF600 that seemed to slam way too much. Always hard to know of course without back to back testing. Certainly my much larger Tristram rides a lot better but size makes a big difference.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 10:13pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

HI Puff.I've got a rayglass 2500.It's a weapon and really comes in to its own in a marginal sea.We do alot of West coast game fishing in variable conditions and it handles it with ease.Go check out the rayglass factory if you are able.it's well worth a look.Very good bunch of guys to deal with and after market service second to none.I can't comment on the others mentioned but havint heard a bad thing about any of them.cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 9:05am
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for all your input, appreciate it. Will have a look at all of them over the next month or so. Such fun!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AndreA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 1:08pm
AndreA View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Nathan
I have a 2002 635 buccaneer billfisher with a 150hp Yamaha.
Love it great boat and when I brought it i compared them with what you are comparing them with and there were a couple things that won it for me at the end of the day.
The walk around was a big tick as was the in side of the boat sides,cabin is a good size plus lock up.
Mine is under powered so saving up to repower it.
One other thing i can think of the top of my head that i dont like and will change is the anchoring system.
If you want to know more or have a look at mine(Im in Tauranga).
Send me a message
f*#k it all & f*#king no regrets
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 7:46am
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

I have a 237 Billfisher with a 225 Honda on the back.
I also had a 2008 with a 175 yammy. I also have a couple of mates with 237's and a few with 635's.

I have spent 1000's of hours on these boats fishing all over the place and love them! Lock up cabins have plenty of room, heaps of storage.

Underfloor storage is amazing, by far the best boats for storage that I have seen.

They are great handling boats, I have had mine out in some pretty ugly weather and always feel safe.

The walk around is great, makes rafting up along side other boats easy, gives you more options when fishing and is also a nice place to sit when trolling.

I have been to the boat show a few times and have yet to find anything I would replace my buccaneer with without spending a few 100k.

My last few trips included a 170mile round trip to catch a broadbill, an over nighter with the mrs where we rafted up with a few mates in their boats and the last trip was a solo mission down the bottom end for a feed of snapper, very multi purpose!

Mine has a 400 litre fuel tank and an 80 litre water tank so the range is pretty good, the broadbill trip we were 3 up with a full tank of gas and steamed all the way there and back and used 250litres of gas, so still had 150 to play with.

Your welcome to come and have a look at mine if your want, I'm out in Beachlands, if we time it right with the weather I could take you out for a fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 9:22pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I know it been awhile, but thanks raging bull for your offer...can I ask have you any opinion on the 720 buccaneer?... I still have purchased no boat yet, but have seen a few around, not to mention a heap of Rayglass that have come on the market....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tyrannosaur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 8:36am
Tyrannosaur View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Last Dog Last Dog wrote:

There's lots of plastic boats for sale that come in from Aussie and USA so you may find a good excuse to have a holiday and buy a bargain boat. 

Pretty sure know nobody is asking about plastic boats... Carry on! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 8:43am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Son has a rayglass... very nice boat as well. and rides well

Think it comes down to RB and Puff comments somed up well by Puff
So would it be safe to assume all these boats have a similar ride? And it's just down to layout and looks/finish etc.

Subject to well powered
I think you will find those that ride hard and stuff will be min or under powered... NOT as per manufactures specs  but by Real practical  power to weight
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 10:11am
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Puff Buccaneer 237 and 720 share the same hull.  Changes were in the layout and more cosmetic than anything else.  I owned a 720 Billfisher for 8 years and fished all around the north island with it.  Great boats.  

Same Hull on the Billfisher and Excess models also, just different top sides

I also owned a Haines Hunter 650 for a short time and fished a bit in a mates Haines 700.  Both great sea boats but my 650 used to ship a bit of water over the transom and through the walk through when at rest in sloppy conditions.  This was the reason I sold it (for the Billfisher).  The Haines 700 didn't seem to have the same problem.

No experience with Raygloass
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 9:48pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey thanks for all the input people....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 7:35am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There isn't really a magic bullet for ride vs stability vs layout etc amongst all those boats being discussed. The larger versions will ride better than the smaller versions. The ones with the softest heavy water ride will be the ones that are a little less stable on anchor or on the drift etc. Quality wise there isn't much in it other than the visual cosmetics. You will get more out of a 7m boat than a 6.5m boat, but some of the '6.5m' models are really the same size as another brands 7m models. From 6.5m up with any of those brands the hull performance will be fine for normal use so long as you know how to drive it. Trim tabs are a good thing to have for heavy water use and I would probably try to get those on the boat.
Find a model that ticks your functionality boxes, has a decent engine, and that is probably the one you should buy.
Page  12>