Furuno GP1870F

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furuno GP1870F
    Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 9:49pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi all...

Im looking to upgrade on our launch in time for the next season...  .

Was looking at this unit ...  does anybody here have one of these with a 1KW tranny?  we want to be able to see the bottom 5-600m...  

Whats the plotter like? etc

Any feedback appreciated..

Cheers james
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 8:03am
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hey Jim
I have one of these in my trailer boat Kotare, running a TM260 x 1 KW transom mount transducer, gets great performance up to 600mtrs , however the chart plotter is a piece of crap, very hard to use , not user friendly, I end up using my Samsung Note 8.0 with Navionics Gold , mush easier to use for plotter functions , I am looking seriously at the Garmin 7400 series to upgrade to next time when I win lotto!
cheers swordfishsteveSmile
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 9:35pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by swordfishsteve swordfishsteve wrote:

Hey Jim
I have one of these in my trailer boat Kotare, running a TM260 x 1 KW transom mount transducer, gets great performance up to 600mtrs , however the chart plotter is a piece of crap, very hard to use , not user friendly, I end up using my Samsung Note 8.0 with Navionics Gold , mush easier to use for plotter functions , I am looking seriously at the Garmin 7400 series to upgrade to next time when I win lotto!
cheers swordfishsteveSmile
Thanks Steve..  just the feedback I am looking for. 

Have you had experiance with Garmin units before? is their sonar ok?

Cheers , Jim

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 7:01pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use to have a 700(?) series chartplotter , touch screen , ran it with a furuno 585 with a tm 260 for a sonar . I was so impressed with the ease of use of the 7" garmin I now have a 5012 garmin with a gsd 26 and a tm265 ml.  The garmin again is an awesome chartplotter easy to use but Im' really impressed with the sonar .

The gain is down really low on the above picture but you can see the bait fish in about 460m and also in about 600m also. 
Close to the bottom theres at least one red dot I'm sure was a fish .
Quite good to view the bottom like this and then splitting the screen zoom in and turn the gain looking at specific depths like say 400 500m to mark .
A friend running a 2kw furuno outfit who was close by was marking sign in the same depths that day , which reasured me of what I was doing .
Only thing I'd like is another 12" display now .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote livin4fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 8:55pm
livin4fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Running a Garmin 820xs with 600w thru hull deepest I have been so far was 540 m and was still clear as, didnt think to get a screen shot but will when season comes around for future reference
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise: Lewis Carroll

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 10:01pm
Platinum
Platinum

thanks legacy,

Im going to do some more research...

I thought there would be more feedback on this question.. never mind...

Cheers J
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 10:04pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by livin4fish livin4fish wrote:

Running a Garmin 820xs with 600w thru hull deepest I have been so far was 540 m and was still clear as, didnt think to get a screen shot but will when season comes around for future reference

Ok...  but can you pick up fish om the bottom?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote livin4fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 6:56am
livin4fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

To be honest can't remember ( Was busy sorting outriggers and tag lines ) only been able to get wide once for a troll in April when first bought boat. Havent been out wide since due to this beautiful weather we are having, and flat out at work to. Still getting head around sounder came from a boat with a furuno and am wrapped with new one.
No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise: Lewis Carroll

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:22pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by livin4fish livin4fish wrote:

To be honest can't remember ( Was busy sorting outriggers and tag lines ) only been able to get wide once for a troll in April when first bought boat. Havent been out wide since due to this beautiful weather we are having, and flat out at work to. Still getting head around sounder came from a boat with a furuno and am wrapped with new one.

ok..  but lloked a good clear picture?

Im almost thinking of going for two units. one plotter and one sounder..  do any others do that?  whats the best plotter? and whats the best sounder?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:36pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi Jim.  I have had the 1870 combo for 2-3 yrs, run a TM260 on it. sounder is awesome as is most Furuno gear, but i also run a Garmin 70s as plotter and also use it with GCV 10 for down vu/ sidevu.
The G2 vision chart is awesome and Garmin touchscreen is so easy to use.
Furuno gear is a little bit harder to use( eg menu hidden behind menus etc)

Plus 2 x 7" screens are so much easier to see
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:38pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

PS, if i had room, i would run a 295 Furuno sounder and keep the garmin as plotter.
295 sounder is streets ahead of the 1870 in terms of sounder ability
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:49pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Spent most of my time between 50m and 130m and mark snapper and bait in the deeper depths fine just as good as my old furuno . I think the misconception about bottom fish not showing is more to do with the furuno being able to mark a strong white line as the actual bottom and so the fish are clearly visible above the white line but again I'm really impressed with what I'm seeing on the garmin and I'm sure it's marking the same fish and very clearly .
I used to run a garmin 700 and a furuno 585 and found that a really good combo but wouldn't go back .I'm getting very similar results as mates with 2k trannies and furuno 295s .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:57pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

PS, if i had room, i would run a 295 Furuno sounder and keep the garmin as plotter.

Thanks Kaveman..   all interesting stuff..  dont think I can afford a 295..  but it does look tasty @!!!

but you reckon the 1870 is a good sounder ??  Im looking to get to fish puka and BN in 4-500 m...  and I want to see the bottom to 700???  will it do that?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brady Rowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 6:49am
Brady Rowe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Maybe / have you got pricing on one?? Furuno does a package with the unit a2kw/38 and a 2 kW/200 with the 295. Sounding is where it is at mate. The Nz market has gone crazy the era of the 1 kW transducer is almost over. People buying big transducers like you wouldn't believe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 7:52am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by part-timer part-timer wrote:

Thanks Kaveman..   all interesting stuff..  dont think I can afford a 295..  but it does look tasty @!!!

but you reckon the 1870 is a good sounder ??  Im looking to get to fish puka and BN in 4-500 m...  and I want to see the bottom to 700???  will it do that?

Jim, it struggles to mark fish at 400-500m consistently(water quality and heaps of other stuff come into it)
 TBH i havent gone out past 500m to see how deep it reads, big difference to reading the bottom and being able to mark fish
1870 and 585 are basically the same sounder so Alistair at Bay Marine told me, the 1870 are so cheap at present and i like mine know after finally getting my head around there setup
Personally i would go chirp if you want to fish 400-500m consistently as a 1kw chirp tranny is so much better than standard 1kw tranny.
With 295 furuno you can dial in 4 different khz settings so nearly as good as chirp. 38 khz for deep water is awesome and it can utilize 2 and  3 kw tranny if you ever get the urge
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 10:12pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Brady Rowe Brady Rowe wrote:

Maybe / have you got pricing on one?? Furuno does a package with the unit a2kw/38 and a 2 kW/200 with the 295. Sounding is where it is at mate. The Nz market has gone crazy the era of the 1 kW transducer is almost over. People buying big transducers like you wouldn't believe

no... I havent got a quote yet...  but if I get a 295 I will have to get a plotter as well.. so it all adds up..  

I did send an email to a company who regularly posts on this site about marine electronics earlier this week..  asking about options and prices. no reply yet.. after 2 days.. Shyte service... wont be doing business with them..

Do you really rate the 295 Brady?  what plotter are you using?

Jim

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 10:14pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by part-timer part-timer wrote:

Jim, it struggles to mark fish at 400-500m consistently(water quality and heaps of other stuff come into it)
 TBH i havent gone out past 500m to see how deep it reads, big difference to reading the bottom and being able to mark fish
1870 and 585 are basically the same sounder so Alistair at Bay Marine told me, the 1870 are so cheap at present and i like mine know after finally getting my head around there setup
Personally i would go chirp if you want to fish 400-500m consistently as a 1kw chirp tranny is so much better than standard 1kw tranny.
With 295 furuno you can dial in 4 different khz settings so nearly as good as chirp. 38 khz for deep water is awesome and it can utilize 2 and  3 kw tranny if you ever get the urge

Thanks Kaveman...  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 6:51pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Could pick yourself up a garmin 7" as a chartotter the touchscreens have been really nice to use . I think those 2 and 3kw transducers probably work better on launches where they get really clean water but on my smaller tinny it's harder to keep them in clean water at any sort of speed , is my thinking . I like a transom mounted transducer - easy to alter and fine tune and if there's a ground breaking upgrade 3 yrs down the line easier to change 😃
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 7:47pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Will at the navstation.co.nz helped me put my garmin setup together but he has furuno etc too . Some one else to talk to .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 9:55pm
Platinum
Platinum

Is the plotting good in the furuno touch screens ?
Page  12>