saltwater fly gear for sale in Buy/Sell Forum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: saltwater fly gear for sale in Buy/Sell Forum
    Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 8:08am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Neil Allen (Salty-Fly) has some excellent reels for sale in the Buy/Sell Forum:

http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/saltwater-fly-reels-and-vise_topic118373.html

Also an 8wt Xi3 higher up the listings by a different seller:

http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/fs-sage-xi3-8wt_topic118385.html

A good way to get your hands on some quality gear...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 4:09pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Fishman,

What reels would you rate as the best two or three for a relative newcomer to consider.
I've done a lot of freshwater flyfishing, not much salt fly, and don't know the main salt brands compared to the trout stuff.

Tamure Kid
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 5:55pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Hi Tamure. That's a difficult question to answer. I've got good reels...  I'm no longer in the market for the new entry stuff. I do know there is some great value for money out there. Some of Neil's reel are top end stuff that will last a lifetime and at a very reasonable price. 

Anyone like to comment on the best go-to new entrant salt reel out there? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 7:05pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That Sage reel Neil is selling would be my pick. As Fishman has stated anything Neil selling will be good gear. Thought I was not bad at the tackle whore thing , just a beginner it appears.LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaimaikid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 4:42am
kaimaikid View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

If you can't find anything in the right size from Neil's lot then check out the Redington Behemoth reels - best value salt fly reel on the market with a ton of smooth drag.

I have it in 9/10 matched to a Redington Vapen Red in a 9 weight and love it.

http://www.flytackle.co.nz/products/reels/reels-redington/redington-behemoth-reel-series.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 8:38am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at that Sage online and also the Redington, so I get up to speed on the specs etc.

I tend to think you get what your pay for in terms of reels (as a general rule across most types of fishing), so was thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to splash out on one of those reels Salty-Fly has got listed second hand, rather than a lower spec one new.
The listing seems to have low to relatively high end, and couple in the middle. 

I'm not going to be going after bonefish or GTs any time soon, more likely schooling kahawai and pannie snapper, so I don't need to go crazy.

Mind you, i saw a guy targeting baitfish-chasing kingies in a suburban bay near where I live over summer, and he said he gets them up to 15kg. So that would give a reel a decent test i imagine!