Omoto Big Game reels?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rdhbuilding@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Omoto Big Game reels?
    Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 7:24am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi there, does anyone have a Omoto big game reel? Is it reliable? Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 8:19am
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

HI rdhbuilding
I do not own any Omoto Big Game Reels however have serviced and repaired a few, they are bottom of the pile as far as quality goes IMHO, so buyer beware, at least have it serviced before you use it to makesure it will perform well or do not take the risk and buy Shimano Tiagra or Penn Internationals, cheers swordfishsteveSmile
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 9:01am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I own one of the small ones, thought it would be interesting to see what you get for the $$.

Observations, having fished it for almost a year now and serviced it a couple of times:

-The bearings are ****e, they feel good for a while but give them a sniff of salt water and they'll crap the bed
-The anodizing is not great, comes off easily and then the alloy underneath corrodes really fast compared to other reels I've seen
-The machining is really good, on par with your mainstream stuff, it's all CNC anyway these days so of course it's good
-The gears are solid
-The design is nothing exciting, very standard lever drag setup. I think they all have fairly large carbon fibre drag washers, the drag is quite good really especially if you open them up and grease it properly.
-I've never played with a 2-speed model so can't comment on the shifting.

To be honest if you only plan on game fishing once or twice a year, and you get one of the big suckers like the Poseidon 80 for the price Forlongs was dumping them at (~$300ish?) you do get a lot of reel for your money. But at the same time when you can get a used, serviced Tiagra from Steve for $500 (http://www.reelrepairguy.co.nz/product/963353) you may as well do that, and then you'll at least be able to buy parts for it 10 years from now.

I'll throw in a warning to anyone contemplating one, the old KAM series Omotos are terrible, it's only the Poseidon series that are even halfway decent.