SMARTWAVE 4200 MODIFICATIONS

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SMARTWAVE 4200 MODIFICATIONS
    Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 1:07pm
purple5ive View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

G'day Fellas.
i have recently bought a smartwave 4200 and am looking to do some mods to it, thought id have some luck asking you fellas down here rather than in australia where i am from, not many smartwaves down here, and not many have been modified.
i used to own a smartwave 3500 which i sold to upgrade to the 4200

the sw4200 is in centre console format and i am looking at adding a casting deck out the front of the boat, has anyone done something similar and can provide some input?

any help is much appreciated.
Regards 
steve 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rahui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 2:07pm
rahui View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would get a folding  piece made with carpet that you can remove

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 6:14pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks mate, have you done something similar or have any pics 
cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 3:25pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Corokid on here made a similar deck for his 3500. Ply cut to shape and simply sitting over the existing seat. He posted pictures in a thread called plastic boats I think.

Would be interested as would many here on what you think of the SW4200. Not too many on the forums own one, though theres a few 3500s (I have one) and Macs etc.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 5:16pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks mate.i used to own a sw3500 and had a casting deck on it, however the sw4200 is a little bit different in shape around the middle. theres no centre storage bench, and mine is a centre console.

i would have thought being made in nz the smartwaves would have been more popular here.Ouch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 6:52pm
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i don't think theres a lot of them around yet. yet to see one in person other them at the dealers. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 10:43am
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by CanadianJohn CanadianJohn wrote:

i don't think theres a lot of them around yet. yet to see one in person other them at the dealers. 

wow are you serious mate.Cry
i joined here thinking they might be more popular in NZ.
well looks like ill have to improvise on my own again.
i have done some mods to my smartwave 3500 which i will share here so that prospective or current owners can follow if they need/want to.
cheers.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 12:04pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I see quite a few smartwaves around (mostly 3500). 

A lot of people are (unjustifiably) quite sceptical about roto-moulded boats, so that may limit uptake
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 12:25pm
Titanium
Titanium

the mac 420 is a pretty popular boat. and i see the smartwave 3500 and mac 360s around a bit.

i think the reluctance to look at poly boats is decreasing. but the people at smartwave are not doing themselves any favours with their customer relations. i have heard a couple stories of people not having the smoothest time when dealing with warranty issues. and responses to inquiries i've made didn't endear the company to me. unlike say, kingfisher boats and frewza.

i think the 4200 looks like a great boat. and is still one i'm considering.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 12:43pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not sure if the memory is correct but didn't the lads on Big Angry Fish have a Smartwave in Series 1?
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 1:38pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Sufishent Sufishent wrote:

Not sure if the memory is correct but didn't the lads on Big Angry Fish have a Smartwave in Series 1?

yes mate they used a 4800, was a bit too big for me as im a small framed dude, launching on my own would be a nightmare, plus i would have needed a bigger motor, and a bigger trolling motor which means more weight due to 24v and 2 batteries plus a battery for the mains so 3 batteries, that also puts its above the max towing limit here in australia of 750kg non braked, anything over that and you need a trailer with brakes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 1:39pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by CanadianJohn CanadianJohn wrote:

the mac 420 is a pretty popular boat. and i see the smartwave 3500 and mac 360s around a bit.

i think the reluctance to look at poly boats is decreasing. but the people at smartwave are not doing themselves any favours with their customer relations. i have heard a couple stories of people not having the smoothest time when dealing with warranty issues. and responses to inquiries i've made didn't endear the company to me. unlike say, kingfisher boats and frewza.

i think the 4200 looks like a great boat. and is still one i'm considering.

have you rang david (owner) directly, he is quite helpfull mate. ive emailed him many times and get a reply usually, there have been some instances where i have got no response though.
cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 2:26pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The 4800 has the advantageous option of an underfloor fuel tank, but it doesn't have the same nice gull-wing hull.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 2:42pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by MikeAqua MikeAqua wrote:

The 4800 has the advantageous option of an underfloor fuel tank, but it doesn't have the same nice gull-wing hull.
yep, the 4200 is a drier riding hull. which is also the reason i went for the 4200 and not 4800.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 11:16am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There's a fair bit of competition in that 4-5m boat range in NZ. The Smartwave 4200 is a fairly new entry, but seems to be popular in that I haven't seen many sitting on trademe for long. They move in 48hours if well priced. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 12:32pm
Titanium
Titanium

yeah i bet the 4200 would have good resale value.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 8:12pm
@kapitifisho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi I'm looking at upgrading my smartwave 3500 to a 4200 with a 50hp tohatsu 2 stroke really interested in views of people who own 4200s will use it mainly for fishing, need to be able to beach launch. Would appreciate views. Cheers Tim
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 4:17pm
Bronze
Bronze

Tim, they are a good boat mate, i have exactly the same motor, carby 2 stroke 50hp tohatsu, so far so good.
im not sure what the sea is like in NZ but where i am we get a mix of everything, so far its been ok and fishes well and is quite stable.
and like you i upgraded from a 3500 to the 4200, its a very different boat eventhough they look the same, the amount of space is quite a lot when comparing to the 3500. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 4:41pm
@kapitifisho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks mate - much appreciated. Yeah I had a good look at one recently as was really impressed by how much more space it has compared to the 3500 which has a fair bit anyway but as you say quite a different boat. How have you found weight difference? One of the great things about my 3500 is the ease of launch and retrieve at the beach where I am. Did you notice a major change when launching and retrieving? The trailer I have now is pretty basic though just a couple of skid rails with heavy duty carpet on top so a new smartwave trailer on the 4200 would no doubt be easier
Many thanks, Tim
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 8:06pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They are neat little boats; my one reservation about them is the very low transom at the motor, as per this image. Especially if you're beach launching it, you can expect to take a bit of slop over the back.

Page  123>