SMARTWAVE 4200 MODIFICATIONS

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 6:43am
@kapitifisho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Rozboon - yeah I have found that with my 3500 doesn't take much to get one over the back which is a pain. Is that your 4200? I think you are Wlg based - find it ok heading out to hunters etc? How do you find the honda wasn't sure whether to go tohatsu v Honda cheers Tim
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 9:53am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by @kapitifisho @kapitifisho wrote:

Thanks Rozboon - yeah I have found that with my 3500 doesn't take much to get one over the back which is a pain. Is that your 4200? I think you are Wlg based - find it ok heading out to hunters etc? How do you find the honda wasn't sure whether to go tohatsu v Honda cheers Tim

Nah not my boat; I fish a lot off a Mac 420 and used to fish a fair bit off a Polycraft 4.1 which is a very similar boat to the Smartwave. Had the Polycraft out at Hunters once on a really nice day, I would be more comfortable on the Mac or a Smartwave for sure. They all have the low transom issue, especially if you have a couple of totes down the back and a heavy-ish outboard.
On the flip side, you can take a ****load of water over the back and not really have to worry about them doing anything unfortunate, you just have to spend a while pumping them out :/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 11:28am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Before selling my 3500 I tried something. I pulled the bung (I'd removed the useless valve) and let it fill up as much as it would with me in it. I then walked around the gunnels (shallow lake water near jetty.) I was astonished by how little the boat moved with me standing on a gunnel and that much water in the boat. 

I then took the boat for a cruise with all that water in it and bung out. Took about 5minutes to completely drain it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 1:58pm
purple5ive View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by @kapitifisho @kapitifisho wrote:

Thanks mate - much appreciated. Yeah I had a good look at one recently as was really impressed by how much more space it has compared to the 3500 which has a fair bit anyway but as you say quite a different boat. How have you found weight difference? One of the great things about my 3500 is the ease of launch and retrieve at the beach where I am. Did you notice a major change when launching and retrieving? The trailer I have now is pretty basic though just a couple of skid rails with heavy duty carpet on top so a new smartwave trailer on the 4200 would no doubt be easier
Many thanks, Tim

weight difference is defenitely there, i cannot now pickup the trailer and move it around like i used to be able to do in the 3500.
i dont beach launch so im not sure what the outcome would be there.
i have a drive on trailer, so launching and retrieving isnt an issue.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 2:00pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

Before selling my 3500 I tried something. I pulled the bung (I'd removed the useless valve) and let it fill up as much as it would with me in it. I then walked around the gunnels (shallow lake water near jetty.) I was astonished by how little the boat moved with me standing on a gunnel and that much water in the boat. 

I then took the boat for a cruise with all that water in it and bung out. Took about 5minutes to completely drain it. 

what valve is this that your talking about?

i will need to install a bildge pump somewhere in the boat, got no idea where to put one..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 3:52pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I don't really even know that they need a bilge pump. Off the top of my head the bilge is open at the transom, and the bung installs from the inside? In which case if you have water onboard just get underway then take the bung out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 3:23pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

I don't really even know that they need a bilge pump. Off the top of my head the bilge is open at the transom, and the bung installs from the inside? In which case if you have water onboard just get underway then take the bung out.

They Probably dont mate, moreso just for peace of mind.
im not keen to undo the bung and drain the boat while underway.besides i also have the fuel tank and also a casting platform over the top so it gets a bit fiddlesome..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 2:06pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by purple5ive purple5ive wrote:

i will need to install a bildge pump somewhere in the boat, got no idea where to put one..

The bung had a little rubber flapper on it. Didn't drain and let water back in. Removed the flapper so at least it would drain. 

I too wouldn't bother with a bilge pump. If you are going to do that weld  a plugable elephant trunk scupper into the transom. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 4:44pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

Originally posted by purple5ive purple5ive wrote:

The bung had a little rubber flapper on it. Didn't drain and let water back in. Removed the flapper so at least it would drain. 

I too wouldn't bother with a bilge pump. If you are going to do that weld  a plugable elephant trunk scupper into the transom. 
I think Snapper Geoff has the same on his Mac 360 which he beach launches and he has 2 large "bungs" screwed in from inside low on transom - if he takes a lot of water in he gets moving forward unscrews and water drains out quickly.  Of course a Mac 360 (like a Smartwave) will float upright full of water and his tote tank would float too.  He has a pull start and no battery but he is launching on a West Coast beach. 
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 11:43am
Bronze
Bronze

ok thanks guys. mine doesnt have any valves as such, just a normal plastic bung..
what is an elephant trunk scupper?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 3:05pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A piece of rubber tube, flattened at one end. The theory being that water won't come in through it, but will drain out of it from the inside.
Often used on self-draining decks that may be below the outside water level to stop water coming in; often a bit leaky. Best used where they can be pinned/hooked up out of the water, and only lowered when you want to remove water from the boat.

Like so:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2017 at 4:24pm
Platinum
Platinum

You can buy layflat hose for not very much in any diameter you choose, or use neoprene glued together, or buy from the UK. A google should find a supplier. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 12:48pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys, ill have a good look into it
cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 6:34pm
Bronze
Bronze

totally forgot about this thread and its been a while since ive been here.

This is the current setup as it stands..
below some pics of the casting decks and other bits and bobs i have installed.
casting deck on the front with 4 storage hatches incorporated into it.
rear seats and dead space above fuel tank converted to a rear casting deck.

its running a tohatsu 50hp 2 stroke along with a  motorguide Xi5 and Lowrance Elite ti9 Combo linked via nmea2k so the trolling motor can be controlled via the sounder plus many more cool features that can be done using this link up of sounder and trolling motor.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 6:41pm
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 6:42pm
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 6:43pm
Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote purple5ive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 6:43pm
Bronze
Bronze

Bronze
Bronze

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ozzy Dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 5:43pm
Ozzy Dane View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi purple5ive. Nice job on the casting deck. I've been thinking about getting a SW 4200. I saw one in the flesh for the first time on the weekend and was a bit worried about the lack of storage space, so seeing your mods has been very helpful. Would you do anything differently if you did it again?

The centre console looks like it could do with a bit of work too: shelves or compartments and possibly a hatch next to the wheel in order to access the space up higher. It's also interesting that they don't have hatches in the floor. There wouldn't be much room below but some is better than none.
Page  <123>