Nelson Scallop Closures

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nelson Scallop Closures
    Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 9:48am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you are interested, type 'Scallop" into the search area on stuff.co.nz and read the last 12 months or so of articles about the management of the TACC etc.
In a nutshell - Declining fishery needs reduced TAC. Industry suggests a TACC higher than what they harvested the previous year, and MPI agree. The recreational group argue that the proposed take is way above MPI guidelines for sustainable harvest as a % of biomass, but minister signs off Comm sector plan. This season they think they will have to close the fishery.
Just another example of our world leading fisheries management.

As an aside, there is a comment in one the articles where a scientific researcher notes how the cumulative effect of decades of bottom trawling and dredging has flattened the seabed, destroyed all the horse mussels etc and hence destroyed the ability of the seafloor to deal with sediment deposits. Net result is the scallop habitat (and fish habitat I assume) has been destroyed by sediment. How much of the destruction of our inshore fisheries is due to bottom trawling destroying the sea bed and allowing sediment to become established I wonder. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 10:08am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The answer to that mate is A LOT
The dredging of the mussel beds in the firth of thames last century turned the area into a mud floor wasteland. I think quiet steps are being taken by some mussel farmers and processors to try to reintroduce the almost solid mussel bed that once covered the area, but it will be a long and slow process sadly.
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 2:05pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I bet the industry won't be interested in conducting any research on the long term effects of bottom trawling, but given that it might be a significant risk to our long term fisheries and may even be a major contributor to their current depleted state, you might think that MPI should be looking into it at least. Anyone know if they have done any research about this?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 9:20am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My take which would not be to far from the mark as well Dave. Continual
 ploughing of the sea bed has reduced it to a marine desert ..Allows for sediment build up as filter feeders and grasses ,all animal life have been extinguished.
The sediment build up is slow and continual as nothing is mopping it up as had been the case in the past ...Bit like looking at a hills of forest  ...we know what happens when they remove all the trees ...or ploughed up new subdivision's compared to a paddock of green grass .

The same would apply to the marine environment ...remove everything the result is easy to spot .
It appears that out of sight is out of mind ..

The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 3:20pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 4:05pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

and its closed to both commercial and recreational.
Good on them but its how they legislate going forward will be of more interest.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 6:24pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So the commercial scallop industry take excess scallops from the biomass each year until the fishery is screwed and then it gets closed to them and the recreational harvesters. Then when it reopens (if not completely wrecked) we will repeat the cycle. Over the long term the commercial sector take each year will average out (excess for years up to collapse, then lower TACC after a rebuild), but the recreational harvest is just slashed by the closures and there is no long term averaging. So not only all those scallops get given to the fishing industry for free in the first place (zero return to the public), but now the public get their traditional right to harvest a feed taken away as well so that the industry can get a faster rebuild of the biomass and start filling their pockets again. What a great system we have.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 6:30pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Would have thought , expected, the "Best fishery management in the world" to have seen this coming. But they didnt.

Can only wonder about other fisheries with below optimum  bio mass.

A very sad state of affairs that need not have happened.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 6:39pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Closed 3 days before opening day.

I think it's good for the scallop fishery but the timing could have been better.

I've got flights to picton Friday morning and back Sunday. Leave booked. Oh well. Fishing it is.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gatekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 7:39pm
Gatekeeper View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

You see the media wagon are at it again. Its not totally closed, only closed in the RED ZONE so god help what little is left in the beds in Golden Bay and Tasman Bay because its going to be open season on them now. 90 submissions out of 159 said total closure but they took option 2 and just closed 7H and the sounds. I wonder some times!!!

There is never a better time to go fishing than now, live the day
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 3:49pm
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My understanding of the fishery down there was they were shown how to seed the beds by the chinesse a few years back, but unfortunately they overseeded them causing them to stunt growth etc... 

My main concern is that those boats will now head north and hit the areas up here that produce good quantities :( 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bossco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 10:28pm
Bossco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Don't see why they need a blanket ban as opposed to just a ban on dredging. 

Why penalise divers for the damage that the recreational and commercial dredgers are doing?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 9:47am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Bossco Bossco wrote:

Why penalise divers for the damage that the recreational and commercial dredgers are doing?

My understanding is that it hasnt been closed due to damage caused by dredging, but just overfishing. The 50 scallop rec limit is far to high in my opinion, but I'm coming from a fishery where you are only allowed 10 of the tasty little buggers. 

For what it's worth, we dive for our shellfish, tried dredging once, lost it, just stuck with diving ever since.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 10:03am
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I would agree with you ....except....I can't swim or diveCry
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 12:08pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Southern_Jez Southern_Jez wrote:

My understanding is that it hasnt been closed due to damage caused by dredging, but just overfishing. The 50 scallop rec limit is far to high in my opinion, but I'm coming from a fishery where you are only allowed 10 of the tasty little buggers. 

For what it's worth, we dive for our shellfish, tried dredging once, lost it, just stuck with diving ever since.

Just overfishing. Mind boggles. They didnt see it coming did they.
Why not.???
So instead. Oh well fishery is stuffed,better close it--ho hum.Great but predictable fishery management response.
Pity scallops arnt more aggressive -like sharks. Maybe they will learn and the news headlines will feature more scallop attacks.
Self preservation of scallops.
Proper management would have seen the decline and taken action to stem it long before it got to this.
And even if other factors like parasites or disease were at play same should have applied
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 11:22am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 12:56pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seem they didnt notice either. Not much point protecting them if they are not there anymore.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote veitnamcam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 5:22pm
veitnamcam View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was fishing in 7HH area today, 3 small trawlers working in  the area presumably targeting the gurnard at the moment.

So they may not be dredging but how the hell are the scollops and oysters sopost to recover when what little are left after commercial dredging are being run over by bottom trawls?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 6:12pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You make a very valid point Cam.

They dredge the crap out of them ,close the beds ,then smash them up for a bit of add on effect. Bit like carpet bombing.

Totally irresponsible action. Could only happen in N.Z.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 10:26am
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was out off bream tail on Tuesday, we counted 11 scallop boats in about a 2km square area. Never seen that many up here in one confined area like that before and a lot of the boats I have never seen before either. Is this a spin off from the southern beds being closed? 
Page  12>