What makes you tick?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What makes you tick?
    Posted: 29 May 2016 at 7:32pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Two hours ago I was up to my elbows in mushed up fish making berley to catch gurnard. I read about my fellow fishermen going to great lengths to catch bass, bluenose, broadbill, hoggish looking kingfish and marlin like they are just so easy to catch. Why do I like fishing for gurnard? Buggered if I know but I do.

What makes us tick? Some like trying to catch carp, some like to make fishing incredibly hard for themselves by casting dry flies to trout. Others like to go shark fishing. We know they are all silly buggers eh. It's only gurnard that matter right? Or do some of you like catching other stuff?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote salty69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 7:42pm
salty69 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Terakihi. And the great thing is they should be back in close within the next month or so. Reminds me it's time to source a few good 2/0 flasher rigs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 7:53pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Smudge try the dry berley Berleymate its dynamite on gurnard lasts at least 3 trips too. Plus out east is better for Grunters Tongue
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 8:11pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

out in clear deep water"maomao" so damn easy to catch and once mastered how to avoid the bones are nice to eat, 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 8:32pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My favorite is shallow water softbaiting for snapper. Like 2-5m deep.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 8:32pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I really enjoy catching bottom dewlers. Puka, Bluenose Seabass.
I think the lure of the Gurnard is the length, you know that they look so much bigger when they get to 500mm and must admit that they also attracts me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 9:04pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

poppering in the solomons....ya never know what will hit, and the scenery......
It is only my overwhelming natural humility that mars my perfection.

Captain Asparagus, Superhero, Adventurer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 9:56pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sheez, i love catching all fish. I spose the lure for me is pb's ,competition and targeting a species.
Yes that includes Gurnard Smudge, i too have been elbow deep in a special grunter brew this week!
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 10:16pm
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bluenose no question. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Twosix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 10:24pm
Twosix View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

For me its a chance to hang out with my sons and do something together on an even footing. We run a PB chart of all the different fish we catch and use that as gloating rights amongst ourselves - and you know its funny cause the kids are all ready telling Fisherman stories, but the PB chart does not lie...

I just hope that when I am gone and they have divided up my gear and boat that they keep doing it with their kids.

Now just to catch up a damn kingie so I can shut them up (being the only one on the boat not to have caught one yet)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 11:27pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have caught Puka ,snaps ,big Fresh run salmon in the past ,yet sitting out on the Manukau on a calm cold winters day ,along the edge of the current line ,boat lined up with the current ,lines sitting nicely astern and to see the gentle bounce ,bounce ,bounce of a gurnard on the rod tip   is one of the things i enjoy the most . Then the hookup and to see the big brick red fish come into view,first gurnard of the season is a great joy. Why ,dont know. Maybe its a nice peaceful type of fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 8:09am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What I enjoy is going out and targeting a species then catching a bunch of them. There's a certain sense of accomplishment vs. just dangling a ledger rig somewhere vaguely fishy-looking and catching whatever comes along.

However at the moment (which is dumb cos they're all about to depart my local waters) it's chasing Kingfish that gets my juices flowing, the power of them is a different ballgame compared to most other species around Wellington.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 8:33am
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I cover all bases outside Astrolab-Mayor and closer. ....also inside, to Omokoroa.
Generally solo and mid-week as I struggle to find other partners available mid week since I've been retired. Hopefully things will change later as the water warms and they will have lures to share into the library.😉
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Southern_Jez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 8:39am
Southern_Jez View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What really does it for me is not the fishing, but the sitting down with the family digging into to a plate of Blue Cod, Paua, Crayfish, or whatever else we have managed to snag on a trip out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 9:18am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Playing feisty trout on brawly rivers like the Waioeka, Mohaka, Whakapapa. Often losing them, but what the heck. Exploring, solitude (sometimes), staying overnight, sleeping with the sound of the river. Ending up with legs covered in blackberry scratches and sand-fly bites, Ah, that's living.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 9:23am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good question. Big snapper on slow jigs from deep water, preferably on a sunny day with a glassed out sea. Don't know why, it's just my thing. It's got so bad, I only carry a slow jigging rod these days! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 10:43am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I really like to watch my money effortlessly float out of the wallet for new shiny things, bags of smelly things, packets of sharp things. I have marlin lures even though the last time out fishing for marlin was 1994, I have a steel trace to a massive hook for shark fishing which I have carted around for 20 years and never used, massive hapuka rigs and sinkers just incase...you know.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 11:49am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its about a day out on the water with good company, from the grandchildren, friends, children, to the wifes friends....espec with those who have never been out or been fishing before...
Hook a nice fish...then tell them u need a sandwich and pass the rod to them to hold....
And the lessons learnt as a kid come into play.. come home from football and clean your boots....and latter , golf, clean your shoes / clubs
Now clean/ maintenance on the boat, making burley,  tieing leaders for the next trip, winter time servicing reels, pre fish, smoking, handing freinds/ neighbours a couple fish or fillets.

Dont like...quiet days on the boat, which fortunately doesnt happen... If quiet, go for a dive, or bait up and drop the long line... or simply go prospecting those markers u have considered possibles studying maps/ satellite pictures up close.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 12:54pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

mmmmmm! didn't have to think long Smudge. Preparing my gear, presenting huge baits then the wait for a screaming run from a big Snap!! Anything else bait or Bi'catch........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BigLiddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 3:37pm
BigLiddy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The mystery of not knowing exactly what's on the end of the line until you see it, the battle with a good fish on light line in shallow water, using tools and techniques to entice a bite, and the adventure of being out on the ocean with friends and family.
Page  12>