Old Game Reels

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Game Reels
    Posted: 22 May 2016 at 2:34pm
swordfishsteve View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Just had these 2 Old Penn Internationals in the shop for an Overhaul this week, made in 1980 makes them 36 years old, still going strong after all those years on original bearings and drags, not as smooth as the New Stuff but boy do they Last , Sweet! ‪#‎penndomination‬ cheers swordfishsteve
Share your Old Game Reels here!

REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 10:22pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

far out i could have sold those even
nah just worked it out Kilwell would of sold them back then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 12:54pm
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

To keep things in perspective those older Internationals when sold were the equivalent of a months wages and now around a weeks wages, or six months savings against one or two months savings now.

Plus once buying a new reel they were often sent away before using them to get the drags and cams done which added another 30% to the price. They also need a minimum yearly servicing which few of todays reel get, (but still could use). Most experienced game fishermen could service them blind-folded because they did them so often.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 1:16pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm bored and cold.......I think I should go and buy another reel
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 3:20pm
Marknado4000 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not super old, but older than me, 

I have recently come into possession of these, used once since new, estimated 30 years old. Look as good as new still!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 3:58pm
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

v cool!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 4:29pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Marknado4000 Marknado4000 wrote:

Not super old, but older than me, 

I have recently come into possession of these, used once since new, estimated 30 years old. Look as good as new still!

Send them to Swordfish Steve and get him to blueprint them and add a bigger drag quadrant then you can run 80lb Jerry Brown hollow core braid turning your 50W into an 80W without the weight and bulk of the bigger reel.Clap

PS, on the underside you will see the serial number the first two digits are the year of manufacture on a Penn Inter Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 5:55pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Lethal
What years did you work for Thompson Walker from - to?
Just curious, I see a lot of Inters with TW sticker on reel seat, so you guys must have sold Hundreds if not Thousands into NZ and Pacific Islands.
Marknado
Those 50 Sw reels look around 1995 vintage, sorry to say these models had crap drag from factory, usually smeared with Penn Muscle grease all over drags, which burns and drag lock up on any decent fish, so may pay you to look inside them at some stage, or send them to me so we can sort them 100% before you have an issue. 
cheers swordfishsteveSmile
REEL REPAIR GUY - Swordfishsteve, That Is Who I Am and That is What I Do : See More At :www.reelrepairguy.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote swordfishsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 5:57pm
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

As Catchalot( Alan)  indicated year of manufacture is the first to digits of serial number on front of frame, cheers swordfishsteve
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 6:38pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

These two 12 LT penns have been refurbished, I managed to secure parts from Scott's bait and tackle in the states before they sold out..... Pinion and drive gears replaced as well as new drag plates.... Great little reels for sailfish.

1986 and 1988 models
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 8:09pm
Marknado4000 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You were pretty damn close steve, 93 model!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 9:32pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have:
1 x 50sw + 1 x 80sw 1988
1 x 80tw 1991
1 x 50tw 1997 
2 x 50sw 1998 
1 x ultra modern 50tw 2006
All still catching fish just fine.
I sold my old ones LOL
and parts are still available when required.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 9:58pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a 50SW with an 89 serial number. It's caught 2x marlin on 24Kg another 3 or 4 marlin on 37 Kg, about 20 yellowfin to 75Kg on 100# (130# spectra with 100# top shot) and God only knows how many kingfish to 37Kg. 

I really don't know what the later reels are like, but reels of this vintage seemed to go great with almost any line class straight out of the box.

I have no idea what the drag looks like, can't remember the last time I looked at it. Although I do know it's HT 100.

I have a 50S that's a couple of years younger (1990) but that one's had the Cal sheets treatment. Also have much younger 12Lt that's had the Cal sheets 2 speed treatment, a 16 S that's been blueprinted, a 30T that's also had the cal sheets 2 speed treatment. The 12, 16 and 30 definitely benefitted from the blueprinting as the first two work great on 24kg, and the 30 has been fished up to 37kg.  THe 50s though, I don't know why you'd blueprint those? But each to their own.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 1:59am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Originally posted by swordfishsteve swordfishsteve wrote:

Lethal
What years did you work for Thompson Walker from - to?
Just curious, I see a lot of Inters with TW sticker on reel seat, so you guys must have sold Hundreds if not Thousands into NZ and Pacific Islands.

1988 i was making selling Lethal lures 2 years before TWL,
1990 i joined them, 6 months in the ware house 8 years on the road
then another 7 1/2 years back running their ware house finished 2006.
i remember the change over from Bill Lawry, not sure when you took over the helm,
was hard times as Just Fishin and Smart Marine opened around that time, yes it was the time when people for the first time ever wanted a second rod an reel,     
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Adam Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 9:16am
Adam Scott View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

1988 Penn 20, still looks good and does the trick

A 1988 Penn 50, still looks great and does the trick

And a flash new reel, a 1989 Penn 30TW, many fish and still looks great and going strong.
The pre 90s Penns were/are great
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote reel crayze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 10:51am
reel crayze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Penn 30 serial no NC6511

Penn 50W  serial no A950156 and E891137
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote KikBac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 3:46pm
KikBac View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Everol Special 6/0

40+ years old and drag is still silky smooth. This has caught several skipjack and albacore - can't wait to test it out on a marlin Wink