Plan D Saved the Day

Post Options Post Options   Likes (7) Likes(7)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plan D Saved the Day
    Posted: 04 May 2016 at 4:40pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stepson Jerry arrived home from work on Monday and his first words to me were “Want to go fishing tomorrow?”  Apparently he was a bit peed off with what was going on at work and needed to clear his head.  I didn’t need any second asking as it has been the best part of a month since I was last out on the water and I was getting a bit twitchy hanging around home.

The drive in the fog through to Kawakawa Bay was interesting but we made it without incident and were greeted with the flattest water I have seen in a long time with not a single puff of breeze to form a ripple of any sort.  As we headed out I couldn’t help but feel how we were somewhat insignificant in our little boat bobbing on a big blue sea (which was true of course) and had never really had that feeling before.  Sometimes Mother Nature has a way of showing folks where they fit in the grand scheme of things.

I had mentally formed plans A through D for the day after getting a bit of intel from a couple of likely suspects ....so thought all bases had been covered.  Not so....and after trying all my usual haunts including a burst up to Lone Rock (off Anita Bay) – this was plan C which turned out to be a complete waste of time and gas – we decided plan D would be our best bet on the last of the incoming tide close in at the south western end of Ponui Channel near the lighthouse.  This had been our go to spot a couple of years ago and we thought it had to be worth checking out once more.

And we were very glad we did because by that time of the afternoon we only had a couple of kahawai, a single snapper and a lonely just-legal gurnard in our bin and I had been desperately reviewing my data bank wondering where to go next if this spot also failed to fire.  However, we came across terns working over a kahawai workup and with the water being so much like a mirror it was easy to see the splashes from the kahawai as they chased baitfish desperately trying to flee from them.  We managed to get a further 4 kahawai and 5 snapper (caught on the drop) before the switch got turned off and the bite was done and dusted.

So the cold smoker has been trickling away all afternoon and I have just been out to add some heat to finish things off. 

No pics - forgot the camera - and anyway you have all seen fish in a bin before!
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 6:18pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Grant, meanwhile I had a great day at work Confused. It was four weeks without a trip for me but fished Friday (briefly for zip), Saturday & Sunday which almost made up for it Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 6:19pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Suprising the other suspect didnt ring in sick(skoti) nice day for it"olfart"fog was strain on eyes at 3.30am heading south,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 8:47pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep plan D is getting down the list Olfart. Got the result tho, good one.

For me if I get to plan E it's normally " f#@k it ,let's stay out all night"
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 10:08pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice read Grant. Glad you got out. And you didnt need any Pics --words said it all.

A few fish to take home - everyone happy,what could be better.

Good to make the most of the endless summer for one day it will be gone.
Know the feeling of being insignificant out on the big blue.

Felt it last week on my solo trip. Also a new feeling for me or at least the way i experienced it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 1:48am
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nicely done bro Clap
Allways pays to have backups , did you try north of Shag where we had luck last time ?
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 7:26am
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Skoti - that was plan B.  From what I have since learned (from Hauraki Hillbillys) the fish were a bit closer in towards the bottom end of Waiheke. I did have a passing notion to try there but as soon as that unspoken thought passed through my mind it just as quickly disappeared again.  So definitely an area to put in the memory banks for next time!
Cirrus
- thanks for your comments.  I used to be able to express myself much better than my latest effort, but the skill is gradually disappearing unfortunately!  I may have to revert to putting my next report in the form of poetry as I often did years ago.  Now there's an idea.....LOL

Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 5:55am
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice report Grant.  You're still a great wordsmith.  No need to go all flowery & poetic on us, but on the other hand, I'll look forward to your next poem.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!