Do the miles- Get the smiles

Post Options Post Options   Likes (8) Likes(8)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do the miles- Get the smiles
    Posted: 03 May 2016 at 2:02pm
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Me and a mate left auckland on Friday night and headed to the coro. Drank rum in the campground till 2 in the morning and proceeded to pass out on the grass. Woke up at 530 and prepared the boat. Launched without drama and headed out into a stiff 20 knot southwester in the small center console . Loaded up the livey tank with small macs in short order. Long story short we tried everything for kings, but only managed a couple small ones. Usually do pretty good up there. Dropped the pick at 330 for a snapper fish. First bait down was instant bites which is always good in a new spot. Started catching plenty of nice pannies. I hooked up on a massive bait and got busted off. Soon after hooked and landed a good snap of 19 pound. Couldn't be revived so will be smoked up. Mate managed a nice 10 pound snap for the bin. Going on dark I hooked up as soon as the bait touched the bottom. Played it real slow so whatever it was had a chance of being released. 5 minutes later up popped a big red. Unfortunately it looked like a hapuka does coming up from the depths, with its bladder hanging right out its mouth. Weighed 24 pound and was 83 cm long. Probably get it mounted as it was a awesome looking fish. New pb snap so I was stoked. Mate lost another real good one soon after, and we both had a few more big hits. Headed back in at 7 and sorted out all the gear then headed back to the big smoke. Massive day but worth every second. Can't wait to get back when the weather is right. Bottom pick is of a snap over 20 pound i got up north and released a couple weeks back. Cheers Johnny
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 2:17pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nice fish Johnny
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TW2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 2:27pm
TW2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice work there!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 4:30pm
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

big fishes !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 4:35pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great trip JW! On the booze with a fishing mate then into it the next day with big Snaps and a PB to show for itBig smile When you hit on to them like that feeding me Bro and i always throw a huge head on trying to entice  Those Biggies. Top photo's as well! liked.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 8:59pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers guys bout time I did a report
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 9:26pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sweet donkey snaps Johnny

Its the rum you know . Works a treat , lures in the bigins!.
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 9:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Very nice fish Johnny! Yeah I'm with Skunk, go hard on the rum. You don't look too under the weather for a night outside Big smile
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 9:49am
Platinum
Platinum

Yep gotta agree, the rum certainly did the trick. Felt good when I was fishing, but was pretty knackered on Sunday. Beauty of small boats though it is easy to sort out the next day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 4:26pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up Nice one bro
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 5:43pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers mate just dropped it at the big fish to be collected for mounting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 5:52pm
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Nice work mate! The 20lber still eludes me! Maybe this winter!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 6:06pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Jonny I can just about still remember when I could drink rum till 2am & still get up early for a fish BUT only just
Nice fish too bro
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 6:53pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers raging bull, im sure yours won't be far away. Pete I only had about 5 nice rums and a couple beers. I can't drink to save myself these days. Even felt pretty average after that lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 6:56pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Johnny Watson Johnny Watson wrote:

Cheers raging bull, im sure yours won't be far away. Pete I only had about 5 nice rums and a couple beers. I can't drink to save myself these days. Even felt pretty average after that lol

Haha good to know it's not just me then
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 7:11pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fish there JW, what a ripper of a trip...liked 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 7:18pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Jackel... pretty much only went down there to target kings and managed a pb snap. Funny how it works sometimes. Hopefully next time I go down there I'll target snaps and get a pb king......