Johnny no mates

Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Johnny no mates
    Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 8:31pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I had a couple of hours to spare so thought I'd go for a solo snapper mission this afternoon. I've promised to take a couple of forum members on a gurnard fishing trip before the Grunter Hunter so thought I better get some snapper fishing in!

I launched at 3.30pm on the Manukau and headed off to a spot I've been prospecting on and off for the last 3 years. It has some promise as we got an 8.2 kilo jobbie there last November.

It's about 500 to 1000m west of the tripod on the Papakura channel in 14m of water. The first fish was a 28cm snapper, a keeper but let it go. I caught about ten or more of these but there were plenty of bigger fish too. Here's a double header of 35's:

The biggest fish fell to my little Okuma Avenger 2500 reel it was about 45cm and took a bait I was given to try out by the local tackle shop DKM in Waiuku. It's arrow squid mantle, nice, white and tough as! Well worth a try. Here's the fish:

II had a count up as the light started to fade - eight nice snaps from 32 to 45cm, average a good solid 40cm, not bad! The Terez loaded up and it was another double header. Time to go:

A great day on the harbour with fish surface feeding all around the place, they looked like trevs but probably kahawai Confused and got a couple of straightened hooks also - I had a couple of cheapie flasher rigs to try out. They worked but the double header hooks ups showed them up big time. I also had two swallowed 7/0 recurves, thankfully both 32cm fish. Baitrunners aren't the best option for recurves.

Came home with ten nice snapper and a kahawai. Tomorrow? Hopefully we'll go over the coast. Thumbs Up. You up for it Skoti & Arron?

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 9:04pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Up you Michael .i have just moved house so nil fishing for till next weekend.she who must be disobeyed is in for a shock.nice fish no one to argue with on solo missions
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 9:09pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hehe you put your foot down Paul! That picture just after the sun set shows the harbour at it's roughest while I was out, just magic! It's great to get out on your own once in a while.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 10:07pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report Smudge sounded real nice out there!  Building fence to keep dogs in and stop them roaming Cry.  Liked
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 8:22am
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Nice work fella!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote like_to_strike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 8:35am
like_to_strike View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work, i often find fishing alone produces the goods as your focused i guess. nice easy fish to fillet.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 4:59pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice catching Smudge.good info too.
Looking at taking some Manukau virgins for a nosey next weekend so it all helps!( cause I've only been twice hunting carrots)
Is the Waiuku Channel worth a crack for gurnard yet?
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 5:33pm
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nothing wrong with enjoying your own company ah Smudge
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 6:24pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by skunk skunk wrote:

Nice catching Smudge.good info too.
Looking at taking some Manukau virgins for a nosey next weekend so it all helps!( cause I've only been twice hunting carrots)
Is the Waiuku Channel worth a crack for gurnard yet?

I've not had a gurnard mission yet but will be arranging something soon. I've heard from a few gurnard fishermen, the fish are in good shape as MacSkipper has been showing us and I've seen catches of ten or so gurnard from the Waiuku channel, so they are around.

PE Pete, it can be the best company sometimes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 7:05pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for that Smudge.
Our plans have changed this time round but am keeping a close eye on the great Manukau reports from Macskipper and all youse other muddy fellas..keep it up.:-)
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"